Korean-edition D&D?
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:59 am 

I'm sponsoring a game club at an International Korean school. We'd like to play D&D, in English, using the Cyclopedia. However, as I won't have time to explain everything, I'd like to have a Korean-edition on hand for the rules-lawyers.  Anyone ever seen such a thing? A scan would be best, although I'd also be willing to pay for a copy if necessary. Any help or info would be great. Thanks.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:12 am 

kellri wrote:I'm sponsoring a game club at an International Korean school. We'd like to play D&D, in English, using the Cyclopedia. However, as I won't have time to explain everything, I'd like to have a Korean-edition on hand for the rules-lawyers.  Anyone ever seen such a thing? A scan would be best, although I'd also be willing to pay for a copy if necessary. Any help or info would be great. Thanks.

About 15-20 years ago, in Italy, if you wanted to roleplay decently you had to know English and teach the rules to all who couldn't understand them, or at most resort to some hand-made translations that were freely available but not published.

Maybe it's the same in Korea now?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:30 pm 

As far as I know the only Asian edition of D&D to ever come out was in Japanese.  I'd love to get my hands on a Chinese edition but it just doesn't exist...  :(

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:49 pm 

VermilionFire wrote:As far as I know the only Asian edition of D&D to ever come out was in Japanese.  I'd love to get my hands on a Chinese edition but it just doesn't exist...  :(

There's an entry for a Chinese edition of the Mentzer Basic Set, although there's no information about it.

http://www.acaeum.com/DDIndexes/SetPage ... icfor.html

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:22 pm 

there was an unauthorised translation of the D&D rules sold in Hong Kong that I managed to track some info down on, bank in the hay day of course

Brette:)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:27 pm 

NetRodent wrote:There's an entry for a Chinese edition of the Mentzer Basic Set, although there's no information about it.

Wow, thanks for pointing that out; that now becomes a holy grail for me... anyone have a copy?   :wink:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:45 pm 

Now, there's a collector's search....an ancient tome of D&D, now lost behind the Iron Curtain....  

Our hero learns of the existence of one known copy, in the back room of a Kowloon brothel, where it was hidden in the infamous Seven Dragon Box by a Ghurka officer just before he and his Chinese gamer girlfriend were murdered by the Triads.

Will he win the five-way race that also includes our hero, the Triads, the Communist Party, a sinister former colonial police commissioner and a "girl looking for her father?"  OR, will the power hidden on those kanji-charactered dungeon pages be loosed once again upon an unsuspecting Hong Kong youth scene?

Come to think of it, I think that's the plot of the upcoming Indiana Jones movie, Hidden Shrine of Tomogochi, isn't it?  I hear there's a cameo by Eric Holmes as "Mad Professor Fung."

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:05 am 

VermilionFire wrote:
NetRodent wrote:There's an entry for a Chinese edition of the Mentzer Basic Set, although there's no information about it.

Wow, thanks for pointing that out; that now becomes a holy grail for me... anyone have a copy?   :wink:

I would guess that Ed Courtroul would be a possible source for both Chinese and Korean editions, given his time in Japan for so long....

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:38 am 

VermilionFire wrote:

I imagine Raphael Wong has a copy (listed in the credits).  Anyone know who he is?

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:56 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:
I imagine Raphael Wong has a copy (listed in the credits).  Anyone know who he is?

I was wondering the exact same thing.   :wink:

Even though the Acaeum page has the People's Republic of China flag, I'm assuming that the Chinese edition was produced and marketed in Hong Kong with perhaps a peripheral market in Taiwan (though I lived in Taiwan for two years and never saw a copy, and I looked).  The PRC would not have been a viable market until recently.

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:09 pm 

I've lived in Taiwan for 10 years, the PRC for 1, and Vietnam for 6. In all my time in Asia, I've only come across 'English' editions. Taiwan has at least two gaming shops which sell imported stuff. Hong Kong has at least two shops, again selling mostly imports. They do sell some Chinese language hex and counter wargames though. Last time I was there, Games Workshop also had an outlet selling miniatures and the like, but no rpgs.
    For the Chinese speakers out there...try tracking down the manual for any of the old SSI Gold Box D&D crpgs. In most cases, these WERE translated into Mandarin, but the quality may be somewhat spotty. They serve well for explaining the basics, though.
   China and Vietnam are great places to get your rpg printed. Costs are relatively cheap, and there are few restrictions on printing material for export only or in a foreign language. So cheap in fact, I've been considering an online reprint service for old school gamers. Specifically, the Cyclopedia and a comprehensive tome of classic modules. Obviously illegal in the West....but....the nice thing about living in Vietnam is the freedom to completely ignore ANY and ALL American intellectual property laws. That's what happens when you dump Agent Orange all over the place and take no responsibility for it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:41 pm 

kellri wrote:I've lived in Taiwan for 10 years, the PRC for 1, and Vietnam for 6. In all my time in Asia, I've only come across 'English' editions. Taiwan has at least two gaming shops which sell imported stuff. Hong Kong has at least two shops, again selling mostly imports.

Interesting news, thanks... do you recall where those RPG shops are in Taiwan (and Hong Kong)?  I go back every few years for nostalgia and would be interested in stopping by one just to see what's up.  When I was living in Taipei in the early 90's I'd drop into any comic book or toy store that I saw in the small hope of finding some old treasure in English or a Chinese language version of D&D or any RPG but always came up empty.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:27 pm 

kellri wrote:That's what happens when you dump Agent Orange all over the place and take no responsibility for it.

Wow.  How nice.     :roll:   Are you still mad at the French too?  :?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:21 pm 

Here's a photo from a tour of TSR corporate headquarters circa 1989.  No Korean set.   :(

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:48 pm 

Though as you can see... the Chinese set.  Anyone able to make out whether it's Cantonese (Hong Kong) or Mandarin (PRC)?

Foul

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:22 pm 

FoulFoot wrote:Though as you can see... the Chinese set.  Anyone able to make out whether it's Cantonese (Hong Kong) or Mandarin (PRC)?

Foul

Is it possible to get a clearer, bigger shot of the Chinese set?  If so, I could make out the characters to determine whether they're "simplified" Chinese (PRC), or "traditional" Chinese (Hong Kong and Taiwan).  I saved the shot above and zoomed in with Photoshop but it's too blurry.   :(

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:12 am 

I piddled with it a bit, but couldn't really get it any clearer.  It's a scan from a magazine article and the picture isn't really all that great to begin with.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:45 am 

is that the one from a polyhedron mag, I know there was a poto like that in one of them...

Brette:)

Next