Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 51 of 111123 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 109110111
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:54 pm 

napoleonsdad wrote:
You mean they can do that  :?:  :?:  :?:   That IMO is an unthinkable thing to do, to win an auction or buy an item that's not even in stock.  I have on the rare ocassion sold a store inventory item locally or by some other means but I immediately take it out of the ebay store inventory.  But that's just me.  I even have a hard time grasping the concept of drop shipping.  :P

Apparently so.  I am sure Ebay frowns upon practices such as this but I am not going to look it up.

I bid on a bunch of individual comic books a few years ago that a seller had up.  I won something like 14 different auctions.  I received an email from the seller the next day letting me know that he didnt have a couple of the items in stock and wanted to know if I preferred a refund or I could choose something of equal value from his inventory.  I ended up asking for a refund because he didnt have anything else I wanted.

I ended up leaving him positive feedback but I told him it was doubtful that I would ever buy from him again.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:12 pm 

I bid on a bunch of individual comic books a few years ago that a seller had up.  I won something like 14 different auctions.  I received an email from the seller the next day letting me know that he didnt have a couple of the items in stock and wanted to know if I preferred a refund or I could choose something of equal value from his inventory.  I ended up asking for a refund because he didnt have anything else I wanted.

That's nothing but a bait and switch tactic.  Stores used to (and they still might) advertise something for sale and when you go in to buy it they don't have anymore so they try to get you to buy something else.  Last I heard it was illegal.  Heck, I guess I could list every TSR product ever produced for sale in my store and when someone goes to buy it say, "Gee, sorry. Already sold. How about a substitute?"   :roll:  Couple that with a refund policy of 4-6 weeks and you have yourself quite the racket.  :idea:  :twisted:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:33 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Apparently so.  I am sure Ebay frowns upon practices such as this but I am not going to look it up.

I ended up leaving him positive feedback but I told him it was doubtful that I would ever buy from him again.

When ebay first started the concept of Ebay Stores many moons ago, there were shippers whose entire stock of 5000 items was all vaporstock.  What they would do is list the contents of Barnes & Noble's online store, and add a few bucks for profit on each item. If someone bought from them, they would order it through B&N, and hopefully they would still have it in stock.  Of course, it really didn't work out the way they wanted....more often than not B&N really didn't have some of the rare and hard to find stuff listed (like OOP MERP items, for example).  It probably seemed like a no lose idea at the time though.....sell things you don't really have at a markup, then if you can't get them just issue a refund.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:41 am 

Ughh!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dungeons-and-Dragon ... dZViewItem

10th print greyhawk $150.00 8O

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:07 am 

Blackmoor wrote:Ughh!!

** expired/removed eBay auction **

10th print greyhawk $150.00 8O

WOW! insanity at its best :)

seller must be over the moon! :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:27 am 

Al wrote:
seller must be over the moon!

I bet the buyer was a lot higher though. :wink:

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:41 pm 

Holy Crap!

8O

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:45 pm 

Stunning:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1974-Dungeons-Drago ... dZViewItem

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:08 pm 

bombadil wrote:Stunning:

Hey guys & gals (if any),

At what point does this set become OVER-valued in your opinions? Here is the answer to a question I asked the seller about the supplement conditions, as they are what I am interested in most:
sfbookhunters wrote:Hello, thanks for the interest. The books are very clean, beyond the smokey quality. I looked through them again and there is absolutely no highights or pencil marks in any of the books. The pages are solid with no tears or stains. there is the smallest amount of staple rusting, but it's only one two of the books(Gods DemiGods and Greyahwk), and its' very minor(very minor and only noted for accuracy). Overall, the books are very clean and they seem little used. If you are the successful bidder and feel this description is not accurate, I'd provide a refund. I hope that helps. Doug

I reference this recent auction, which I understand from BC was ridiculously too high. I personally had a price set at $265.00:

Thanks in Advance,

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:40 pm 

bombadil wrote:Stunning:

Bidder 9 looks a bit dodge.  :roll:

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:54 pm 

red_bus wrote:
Bidder 9 looks a bit dodge.  :roll:

Agreed.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:55 pm 

Huh?!?!?!  :roll:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Last edited by bclarkie on Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:56 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Agreed.

Do you guys think the seller is trying to make sure he gets his $285, since he referenced that price in the listing?

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:02 pm 

PM-Knight wrote:
Do you guys think the seller is trying to make sure he gets his $285, since he referenced that price in the listing?

Brand New bidder bidding only created in the last 24 hours, bidding on only one auction, and bidding well beyond what the auction should be going for.... yea, I'd say its a distinct possibility.  

Unfortunately, with Ebay's new "rules" it makes it next to impossible to tell anything much more than that though. :roll:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:02 pm 

I saw a used copy of I14 Swords of the Iron Legion bidding in the $40's yesterday.  I forgot to track it so I don't have a link.  I14's may not pop up every day but that's quite a bit.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:04 pm 

napoleonsdad wrote:I saw a used copy of I14 Swords of the Iron Legion bidding in the $40's yesterday.  I forgot to track it so I don't have a link.  I14's may not pop up every day but that's quite a bit.

Well, I have one going up tonight, let's hope that is a trend.  :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:08 pm 

Well, I have ine going tonight, lets hope that is a trend.  

Is yours shrink wrapped?

BTW, maybe you should do another s/w B2?   :wink:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:12 pm 

napoleonsdad wrote:Is yours shrink wrapped?

No.  :)

napoleonsdad wrote:BTW, maybe you should do another s/w B2?   :wink:

Well, I have got to say that did shock the hell out of me too. :?

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 51 of 111123 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 109110111