Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 40 of 111123 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:12 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:He's back with a vengeance:

eBay listings

Prepared to gives vast sums to Ebay to hook that 1 in 100 ultra-NOOB sale.

You know, if he really believe he'd get those prices, he'd hit the ebay stores of myself and several others...a lot of us have items on his lists at considerable discounts. He would just buy from us and then mark up on his site...that is IF he believed the items were really worth that much.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:11 pm 

Badmike wrote:You know, if he really believe he'd get those prices, he'd hit the ebay stores of myself and several others...a lot of us have items on his lists at considerable discounts. He would just buy from us and then mark up on his site...that is IF he believed the items were really worth that much.

That's an interesting point.  How much do resellers regulate each other's prices in this market?  eg. if Badmike decides to sell modules for $2, does everyone else have to drop their prices to stay competitive?  Just curious to see if anyone's noticed a pattern.

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:22 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:That's an interesting point.  How much do resellers regulate each other's prices in this market?  eg. if Badmike decides to sell modules for $2, does everyone else have to drop their prices to stay competitive?  Just curious to see if anyone's noticed a pattern.

If badmike dropped his prices to $2.00 a module . . . I'd just wait for him to sell them all and then things would return to normal!    :D

I pretty much know what I want to charge . . .  I may take a look at what it out there and slightly lower my price by a few dollars if there is a large amount grouped at a common price (i.e. if there are 8 Complete Necromancers handbooks for $26-33 , then I might set it at $25.00 as the market has a "glut" right now).

Generally, Badmike's prices and my own are at the lower end of the spectrum as far as store owners go . . .  there are any number of high priced ( *cough* Troll & Toad ) stores that make us look real good.  (Not that I mean to speak for Badmike, but I can't help but notice what other sellers list for when I check on what's currently out there  :D  )

Seriously, I don't have time to micromanage my auctions - the price will stay as I listed it and (I think) the price is generally fair.  Sure, it may not look quite that good to some of you regular ebay, ultra-bargain, auction hunters  :D , but by and large, they are decent deals.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:53 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:

If badmike dropped his prices to $2.00 a module . . . I'd just wait for him to sell them all and then things would return to normal!    :D

Or buy them all yourself!!!! :D
But generally, someone that is really undercutting your prices will eventually sell out, and things will tilt back to "normal".  Rarely will someone have such a deep stock of an item they can afford to sell cheap and change the market entirely. For example, I'd say right now on Ebay Fencert's prices on Judge's Guild lots might be driving down a lot of prices in that area....but he will eventually sell out.  

I pretty much know what I want to charge . . .  I may take a look at what it out there and slightly lower my price by a few dollars if there is a large amount grouped at a common price (i.e. if there are 8 Complete Necromancers handbooks for $26-33 , then I might set it at $25.00 as the market has a "glut" right now).

Ditto.  YOu have to pay attention to the market, I don't know if you have to follow it slavishly, but since it's out there you have to be aware.

Generally, Badmike's prices and my own are at the lower end of the spectrum as far as store owners go . . .  there are any number of high priced ( *cough* Troll & Toad ) stores that make us look real good.  (Not that I mean to speak for Badmike, but I can't help but notice what other sellers list for when I check on what's currently out there  :D  )

I try to price towards the lower end of the spectrum...I base a lot of prices on what I paid for the item sometimes, rather than the true "worth".  Plus I have low overhead, and as a home based operation, with much lower volume than the Titan Games/Noble Knights/Troll & Toads of the world, you have to have some sort of an edge,

Seriously, I don't have time to micromanage my auctions - the price will stay as I listed it and (I think) the price is generally fair.  Sure, it may not look quite that good to some of you regular ebay, ultra-bargain, auction hunters  :D , but by and large, they are decent deals.

I think there are always going to be some prices dirt cheap, and some that are way overpriced. The best bet is to hit the middle of the spectrum and use intanglibles such as quick shipping, customer service, shipping discounts, etc to get buyers to look at your auctions vs others.

NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:08 pm 

8O $90 BIN for I3 and I4!

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:26 am 

Ok, I know it's T&T so it doesn't really count, but I couldn't help but guffaw. Yes, guffaw.

But generally, someone that is really undercutting your prices will eventually sell out, and things will tilt back to "normal".

That's the long and short of it. When I'm doing listings, I'll usually undercut the other guys (sorry! :P) by a small margin, if for no other reason than to get my listing higher up in the searches.

Unless someone is sitting on some really deep stock of something, I'll rarely drop prices to compete with them. It's just not economical to do so.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:43 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1

Am I missing something here?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:47 pm 

What about this one here, am I missing something here also?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:42 pm 

thehiddenone wrote:

Am I missing something here?

Newbie Bidder.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:23 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Newbie Bidder.

Mike B.

excellent set = price ok
$100 before was out of line

what would your price be? $150 and I will buy

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:29 pm 

Rakeesh sah Tarna wrote:
excellent set = price ok
$100 before was out of line

what would your price be? $150 and I will buy

Well, I just picked up a pretty decent set for $72 last week and I just sold an okay set for $102.  Granted I don't think either set was quite that nice, but looking at a difference of $150 to $180, I don't know about that. :? $250 plus seems silly to me for a 5th. Hell, deimos caught some flak for buying my 4th print set for $160.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:28 pm 

$223.50 not $250 plus. is ok. not a total steal

4th/5th box >> books

near perfect box with no crushing, rubbing, corner damage, toning, marking, writing? = rare
$150 would be a good price. asks again

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:22 pm 

Rakeesh sah Tarna wrote:$223.50 not $250 plus. is ok. not a total steal

4th/5th box >> books

near perfect box with no crushing, rubbing, corner damage, toning, marking, writing? = rare
$150 would be a good price. asks again

5th boxes are very easily had...in all sorts of conditions...at under $200.  Most times under $150, at that.  If you play your cards right, even under that.  Plus, that picture was awful...I don't have a clue WHAT the condition was of the box or books, it was so grainy it looks like it was taken by Matthew Brady during the Civil War.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:33 pm 

So, this seems a bit high -- am I missing something?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:04 pm 

stumbling tiger wrote:So, this seems a bit high -- am I missing something?

Yes..

You can get a 1st print box set for under that price if your lucky.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:22 pm 

stumbling tiger wrote:So, this seems a bit high -- am I missing something?

I bought a set in similar condition - although the dice in the bag had been opened - for about $10 earlier this year.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:34 pm 

Must be the Christmas spirit, then.  Something's loosening the purse-strings (of newbies).

Did anybody else find themselves wondering about the seller's childhood?  

"I always thought if I learned how to play I could finally have a friend. "

Wonder how much friendship he'll get from this $50.  Guess it'd buy a round of drinks in a small bar.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:04 am 

I KNEW I should have learned how to play. Now I know why I don't have any friends!

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 40 of 111123 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 109110111