Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 37 of 111123 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 109110111
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:21 am 

dbartman wrote:
** expired/removed eBay auction **

Hmmm.  Can't figure out the two bids for the same amount...

Christmas shopping.  New ebayer, sealed item that someone they know probably wants.  

This is the time when people might want to pay more for stuff.  I know it's irrational (but I'm sure we've all suffered from it at least once in our lives).  If you plan on spending $80.00 for someone, but find something they want for $40 it almost feels too cheap . . . now you've either got to get a more expensive gift or a second gift . . .

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:14 am 

:lol:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:56 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1

Alan has just lost the distiction of being the person from the forum with the highest bid ever on an L3. :?  Why????

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:58 pm 

Its got worse after I posted it. WTF is going on?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:01 pm 

$139.50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:17 pm 

Wow, what a day!  What's next?

Let mirth prevail!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:34 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Why????

bclarkie wrote:Its got worse after I posted it. WTF is going on?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

bclarkie wrote:$139.50

:?  :?  :?

Why all the commentary, Brian? What am I missing? Was there a sale somewhere on question marks and exclamation points?

Oh, and "worse" is a very, very interesting choice of words there. From my perspective it got better.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:53 pm 

Howdy,

Good price for you, sure. That's all cool and good. Brian isn't complaining against you.

What Brian is saying is $139 is ridiculous from a buyer's perspective. Anyone can buy the entire Silver Anniversary set on any given week for $100. I just sold one for $111. Yet, someone will pay $139 for L3 without the rest of the set. :?:

Heck I should have said, L3 MINT!!! and I'll throw in the rest of a Silver Anniversary set for free! :lol:

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:57 pm 

Duke, I am nothing but happy for ya.  :wink:   That said, I really for the life of me could not figure out what Lance was thinking there. :?   I mean its great for you no doubt, but I mean realistically what the hell?  I can tell you that while your auction was counting down, it made me decide to pick up this auction:

It sat there for a full 6 days before I decided to pull the trigger. :?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:07 pm 

It was an unexpected result, I'll grant you that. It reminds me of the few times that I've sold a CD or DVD on eBay to a buyer who could have actually saved money and gotten a brand-new copy from Amazon or his local Best Buy. And, yes, the irony of you getting the entire set for less money is not lost on me. :)

Sometimes, who knows, though? Maybe it was "It Must Be Mine Syndrome" ... maybe fewer and fewer people are breaking up the boxed sets, making L3 a little more rare ... maybe it was eBay-n00bzOrz getting too excited (two of those guys appeared to be new-ish). Sometimes with eBay ... well, we wouldn't even have this thread if every result was predictable.

Honestly, I would have been thrilled with $90, so I'll take it. :) And, hey, it all just gets handed over to the warden, anyway. Wife, I mean! Wife!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:20 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:It was an unexpected result, I'll grant you that. It reminds me of the few times that I've sold a CD or DVD on eBay to a buyer who could have actually saved money and gotten a brand-new copy from Amazon or his local Best Buy. And, yes, the irony of you getting the entire set for less money is not lost on me. :)

Sometimes, who knows, though? Maybe it was "It Must Be Mine Syndrome" ... maybe fewer and fewer people are breaking up the boxed sets, making L3 a little more rare ... maybe it was eBay-n00bzOrz getting too excited (two of those guys appeared to be new-ish). Sometimes with eBay ... well, we wouldn't even have this thread if every result was predictable.

Honestly, I would have been thrilled with $90, so I'll take it. :) And, hey, it all just gets handed over to the warden, anyway. Wife, I mean! Wife!

Its a great auction for you, I would be extremely happy myself about the result.   Much to the great delight of sellers such as yourself and I, noobs get into bidding wars all the time, if they didn't we really wouldn't need this thread. :wink:  That said though, it was more of Lance's bids that really kind of threw me and caused me to react the way I did.   I just really couldn't not grasp why Lance didn't back off .  I seriously have nothing against him at all(he actually seems like a great guy)  and he can spend all of his money however and whenever he wants, I just figured that he would not have allowed himself to get into a bidding war like that. I mean considering he is not a noob and there was actually a whole set sitting there for almost a full week for much less than he was ending up buying the one item from the set for.  It really just kind of blew my mind, thats all. :)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:26 pm 

bclarkie wrote:That said though, it was more of Lance's bids that really kind of threw me

Not that this will be my first, or last, dumb question, but ... uh, which one is Lance? I really don't recognize any of those IDs, although RPGauctions sounds familiar.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:26 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Not that this will be my first, or last, dumb question, but ... uh, which one is Lance? I really don't recognize any of those IDs, although RPGauctions sounds familiar.

Lance --> Ebay ID of lofenloc,  posts here under the name Ittybitty. :)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:35 pm 

Thanks, BC.

Actually, I'm glad the L3 will stay "within the family," so to speak. I just sold a bunch of Cosmic Encounter stuff, too, and most of it went to players I actually play against online. I feel like it's all going to be sent to good homes.

BTW, Itty, congrats and no worries about the payment. Take your time.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:56 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
maybe lance can tell us

Thought an item in the lot was one I needed, found out with seconds left it wasn't......what can I say...D'oh...

I have to start writing this stuff (what I have) down.

Lance

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:03 am 

bclarkie wrote:

Alan has just lost the distiction of being the person from the forum with the highest bid ever on an L3. :?  Why????

Temporary Insanity..... :lol:

Actually, I wanted just the module (I hate breaking up sets) and well...it would of been fine if THOSE TWO OTHER bidders had not gotten in my way.

Well, it is going to a good cause (as I try to rationalize the amount of money spent on it).

More madness to come later....

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:13 am 

I now feel better.  One of my first buys when I started collecting was an L3 I payed $130 for it.  I was a newbie and I thought it was RARE.

Martin

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:27 am 

it always amazes me how the L3's seem to sell for more than the shrinkwrapped box set.  do people not know where the L3's come from?

-dave

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 37 of 111123 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 109110111