Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 4 of 11112, 3, 4, 5 ... 109110111
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:40 am 

SHILL ALERT! 8O

May Eru's light shine upon you always.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:46 am 

And everytime this guy is in the bidder list  :?  he bought a DMG for $71

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:16 am 

lokiwookie wrote:

And everytime this guy is in the bidder list  :?  he bought a DMG for $71

When I first noticed this I thought that "3olivesdirty" was shilling as I noticed other auctions ( for normally common items ) being pushed up to silly amounts by this bidder ( especially since they had a zero FB ) .  I would more likely write them off as un-informed as they have bid ( and won ) on alot of stuff in the past week or so:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V ... =25&sort=3

even a Volvo  :) If they just did a little research...............

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:35 am 

Lordan wrote:

Waouh, who want to buy a Volvo nowadays?!  :)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:18 am 

lokiwookie wrote:
Lordan wrote:

Only thing I will give him is it's the "classic"  70's coupe style, at least it wasn't the freaking god awful ugly Volvo 70's Hatchback....always think of pacer/gremlins when I see those  8O

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:16 pm 

Lordan wrote:
lokiwookie wrote:
Lordan wrote:

Only thing I will give him is it's the "classic"  70's coupe style, at least it wasn't the freaking god awful ugly Volvo 70's Hatchback....always think of pacer/gremlins when I see those  8O

Yeah!  Not just any old Volvo.  The beautiful P1800 http://www.saint.org/volvo.htm

I came very close to buying a Volvo Amazon off a friend a few years ago.  But instead I succumbed to the charms of a Citroën XM.  Almost universally reviled.  But I have always had a soft spot for them.  There's no accounting for taste.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:28 pm 

Taste shmaste!  Who buys a car on EBay?  Apparently, it happens a lot!  Good lord!

This guy obviously has more money than sense and has decided that when he wants an item he does not want to lose the auction.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:48 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:Taste shmaste!  Who buys a car on EBay?  Apparently, it happens a lot!  Good lord!

It is pretty funny but I was 1st place loozaaa on many Ebay car auctions a couple years back when I was trying to buy a 1967 Firbird 326 conv. I just couldn't win one and didn't care about said condition as I know what they are really worth and I would be ripping it down for restoration anyways.

I have bought many "rust-free" parts ( fenders, doors, etc ) from the mid west through Ebay Motors but I would though probably never buy a car I was going to drive "regularly" off ebay

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:57 pm 

An amazing eBay story with a happy ending:

At my last job, I worked next to a guy who one day decided he just had to have a '71 Barracuda so he could re-live the classic days of the muscle car. So, off he goes to eBay, where he thinks he spots a good deal.

Now, picture this: my co-worker has zero feedback, the seller has zero feedback, the car is literally 2,500 miles away, and the seller is requiring that the buyer arrange for all transportation. So, my co-worker comes to me for some general eBay advice, and I say "Red alert! Your money is going to disappear; you'll never hear from the guy again."

And I was wrong. They did the deal, my buddy flew back there and drove his new toy home, and both parties are, apparently, very happy.

Too scary for me, though; when he pressed the button to send the guy thousands of dollars, I just about had a stroke. I have a hard enough time sending someone $100 for a TSR super-module or a boxed set. You'll never see me on eBay Motors ...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:47 am 

Why didn't he just give him the money when he flew to meet him?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:34 am 

The time period between those two events (the purchase and the transport was pretty extensive — a couple of months, at least. It took a lot of logistical juggling to make it work (including my buddy trying to pull it off without missing any days of work).

And the seller, IIRC, was pretty cash-shy and desperate for some immediate liquidity (a divorce, possibly? that part is a little hazy ...)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:34 am 

Is the Viking Gods minigame really worth $89?  

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8791297249

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:54 am 

NetRodent wrote:Is the Viking Gods minigame really worth $89?  

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8791297249

8O

I certainly wouldn't pay that much. Looks like a bidding war between two bidders...although their feedback is not that low. Maybe it hasn't been offered in a while in unpunched condition? The seller has nice photos as well. The same seller has a few others up....Remember the Alamo is currently at $49.

I like the cover art of these mini-games - the classic TSR artists: Otus (Vampyre), Dee (Attack Force/Antares), Holloway (Alamo/Viking Gods), Willingham (SAGA). Correct me if I am wrong on any of those. I can't tell who did Pleasantville or Icebergs (a Tom Wham game, by the way). I bought an unused, NM Vampyre about 5 years ago...for about $10-15 IIRC. The others seemed to go for about the same but I never got around to buying any of them.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:29 pm 

All the mini-games usually go in the $10-20 range - even if unpunched.  That Viking Gods price of $89 is absurd.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:12 pm 

The minigames go through surges and dead spots just like other categories, but $89 for a single game seems high, especially one that had a wide distribution from the industry's leading company.

I've seen $90 minigames sales before, but those (and they are not at all common) have been for things like unpunched copies of the first edition of Metagaming's Chitin I, a game that had spotty distribution and was almost always punched and played.

This seems like a pretty obvious bidding war (and I hope neither bidder is a shill). Frankly, this sort of thing is one reason I never use a BIN price.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:07 pm 

I think over $20 a set is definitely high.  Here is an auction from a while back that I thought did fairly well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8759277496

6 of them for $56.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:44 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:
This seems like a pretty obvious bidding war (and I hope neither bidder is a shill). Frankly, this sort of thing is one reason I never use a BIN price.

Since I always use a BIN, I think that is why I very, very seldom get ridiculous prices (or I'm just unlucky  :D ) .  However, once your sales volume gets up there, then I think you make out a little better with selling 30 BINS, vs. one "out-of-hand" auction.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:12 am 

This one is great!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Drizzt-Drow-Ranger- ... dZViewItem

:lol:

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 4 of 11112, 3, 4, 5 ... 109110111