Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 22 of 111123 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 109110111
Author

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:34 pm 

And I thought I was being generous at $50

( for a moment I must have forgotten I was irish and assumed a scottish identity... :wink: )

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:18 pm 

*nearly chokes on coffee*

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... egory=2545

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:07 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:*nearly chokes on coffee*

** expired/removed eBay auction **

I dont get it.  Why the heck would you put a crappy stock picture up instead of taking some decent pictures of the near mint shrinkwrapped item that you have in your hand?  :?

I wont even go into what I think about the Inverness that they have up.  :roll:

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:22 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:*nearly chokes on coffee*

** expired/removed eBay auction **

*rofl*

At that price, maybe they'll part-exchange that SW'd Rahasia I have on hold... should be worth about $1,400 or so on that basis?

(T&T generally double their prices for SW, btw).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:40 pm 

If you're patient enough you can sell almost anything for any price that you can ask for with a straight face.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:07 pm 

Sleazy Auctioneer wrote:
Please note that we own the property rights for all images and pictures used in our listings. Unauthorized copying will be reported to eBay. Picture shown is our stock picture of a R2 Investigation Into Hydell (RPGA Tournament Module).

And to add insult to injury... take a look, they ripped it right off of my site:

http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/rp/rp-r2.htm

Freakin' idiots. :evil:

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:13 pm 

True, and never underestimate the effect of a few beers and an internet connection on the value of any item.

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:22 pm 

blackdougal wrote:And to add insult to injury... take a look, they ripped it right off of my site:

http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/rp/rp-r2.htm

Freakin' idiots. :evil:

erm.... :!: :roll:

Reported yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:34 pm 

faro wrote:erm.... :!: :roll:

Reported yet?

Just sent a semi-belligerent notice to remove the pics.  I'm nice enough to give them 24 hours to do it.  I probably would have completely blown it off if it wasn't for their assinine little rant about "Don't steal our pictures!"

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:37 pm 

blackdougal wrote:Just sent a semi-belligerent notice to remove the pics.

If that doesn't work I suggest you try to make contact directly with Jon, the owner, and explain the situation politely and calmly (and tell him I sent you, btw). I'll give you 15:1 that he doesn't know that his troll or flunkie stole the pic that's their "stock archive" shot. :/

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:36 am 

Hi blackdougal (and Mr. Acaeum):
 Quite correct, in that until about 2 hours ago, I had no idea that some of our pictures were from Acaeum/Blackdougal's website, as opposed to ones we took ourselves.
 Anyways, I took down the 1st edition modules, which seems to be where the worst problems are (please message me at: [email protected] about any others I missed), and I'll get them retaken tomorrow.  After all, we have the product in hand, no reason that the pictures should have been borrowed.
 As to the legal language, that was actually recommended to us directly by ebay themselves.  I've got the email from eBay if you want to take a look.  The reason we want to copyright/protect the pictures is not because we want to give people a hard time, but to prevent scamming from taking place.
 In the past 3 months, I've gotten two scammers auctions removed because we copyrighted our magic the gathering box pictures.  One was an auction for a beta booster box, the one recently for a legends booster box.  Presumably this may have happened in the past for rarer d&d stuff?
 What happens, is someone takes our picture, posts it up on ebay and claims they have the item for sale, and takes peoples money.  After all, they have this rare picture of the item as proof they own it, right?  
 Any thoughts?
thx, Jon

Troll & Toad

(and owner of the aforementioned auctions... unfortunately)

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:49 am 

What the heck, I went ahead and found the email from ebay.  If someone here wants a try at a suggestion to improve the way this is written, I'd welcome the suggestion.  What I really need here, is a statement that covers pictures we took ourselves of our actual item, which we don't want others "borrowing" and using to claim they have that item for sale, but not stating we actually own stuff that is stock pictures, say, from a manufacturer.  Here below is the email I had gotten from eBay:

Reply-To: eBay Customer Support <[email protected]>

X-Mailer: KANA Response 7.0.1.142.13

X-Antivirus: AVG for E-mail 7.1.394 [268.9.8/380]

Dear Jonathan,

Thank you for writing eBay in regard to your question about your

pictures.

<blah blah blah>

Instead of using your proposed statement, I suggest the following

instead:

"Please note that I own the property rights for all images and pictures

used in my listings. Unauthorized copying will be reported to eBay. "

For a better understanding of our listing guidelines and how they affect

the way you list your items, please visit the following URL:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-ov.html

It is my pleasure to assist you. Thank you for choosing eBay.

Sincerely,

Xxxxxxx

eBay Customer Support

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:56 am 

It's like having your kids embarrass you in the store or in front of your co-workers.   :(

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:56 am 

renvhoek wrote:What the heck, I went ahead and found the email from ebay.  If someone here wants a try at a suggestion to improve the way this is written, I'd welcome the suggestion.  What I really need here, is a statement that covers pictures we took ourselves of our actual item, which we don't want others "borrowing" and using to claim they have that item for sale, but not stating we actually own stuff that is stock pictures, say, from a manufacturer.  Here below is the email I had gotten from eBay:

[snipped-for-brevity]

It is my pleasure to assist you. Thank you for choosing eBay.

Sincerely,

Xxxxxxx
eBay Customer Support

I don't think anyone took issue with the language of copyright statement itself.  What people are taking issue with is having that statement in an auction where you've using stolen/borrowed photos improperly.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:57 am 

Took guts to come here and admit a mistake.  No real harm done.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:17 am 

MShipley88 wrote:Took guts to come here and admit a mistake.  No real harm done.

Yes, the whole situation was resolved without any further issue.  I've already apologized privately to Jon but I'd like to do so publicly now.  Jon handled everything with more professional than I could muster at the time.   :oops:  Remember kids: Always take a minute to cool off before you rip in to someone!

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:34 am 

Hi All:
 I still need to rewrite this.  I know we got some pictures that are manufacturer stock pictures, mixed in with pictures we took ourselves.  Anyone got ideas on how we might rewrite that legal statement?
thx, Jon

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:49 am 

I would just write something about the pictures belonging to their respective owners and may not be used without their permission and then add your own copyright warning for your photos.  On the expensive auctions it might be worth watermarking to prevent abuse if you have the time and energy.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 22 of 111123 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 109110111