Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 19 of 111123 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 109110111
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:26 pm 

jpipes wrote:I placed my collection of 109 D&D modules on ebay for sale... Here is the link. Auction ends tomorrow mid afternoon and the current high bid is LOW.

Thanks for looking!

Congrats on the final $: another win for "bagged & boarded".

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 8831070296

The concolorous one did you a huge favor there, IMHO, both on the final price and by not winning.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:25 pm 

faro wrote:
jpipes wrote:I placed my collection of 109 D&D modules on ebay for sale... Here is the link. Auction ends tomorrow mid afternoon and the current high bid is LOW.

Thanks for looking!

The concolorous one did you a huge favor there, IMHO, both on the final price and by not winning.

I wonder if Coug would have tried the M-bag scam on this one :!:   It looks a little high for me but maybe its worth it :?

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:01 pm 

faro wrote:

Thanks for looking!

And amazingly enough it did that well without umwpipes bidding on it either. :roll:

eBay listings

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d ... d=uwmpipes

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 6632293223

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 8816881702

And yes there is more......lots.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:42 pm 

faro wrote:concolorous

Great word! I had to look it up, but I like it ... :)

bclarkie wrote:And amazingly enough it did that well without umwpipes bidding on it either.

Uh oh ... is that what I think it is, BC? Rhymes with "filling"?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:32 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:Uh oh ... is that what I think it is, BC? Rhymes with "filling"?

Seems to be huh. :wink:   I actually had him nailed about three weeks ago to the tune of an Ebay suspension and subsequent return. I discussed privately with someone here about it being that we both got shilled, but I held my tongue until tonight.  I just couldn't in good conscience keep it to myself any longer.  

Christ, you would think that if you were going to shill people from the forum that you post on(and advertise your auctions on for that matter), then you should least have enough imagination to not shill those same auctions with the exact same last name that you post with.  :?   I mean seriously, j_pipes is your posting ID here and umwpipes is your shill bid name, lets just say this wasn't exactly one of the harder shilling investigations/exposures that I have done. :roll:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:51 am 

I'm thoroughly confused.  Why did that auction go for anywhere near what it did?  I'm counting $300-400 worth of stuff.  (But don't take my word for it, 'cause I'm known to be cheap.  Blackmoor and bbarsh bid similar amounts.)

$1200 is absolutely insane.

YIM  

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:15 am 

deimos3428 wrote:I'm thoroughly confused.  Why did that auction go for anywhere near what it did?  I'm counting $300-400 worth of stuff.  (But don't take my word for it, 'cause I'm known to be cheap.  Blackmoor and bbarsh bid similar amounts.)

I ask a similar question about another lot that sold recently. I was told that $5-$10 per common item can be expected on resell. So that gets it to $545 using the bottom and then some would go for more

So lets say:

A1 Slave Pits of the Undercity
A2 Secret of the Slavers Stockade
A3 Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords
A4 In the Dungeons of the Slave Lords
AC4 Book of Marvelous Magic, The
AC9 Creature Catalog
AC10 Bestiary of Dragons and Giants 10
B1 In Search of the Unknown
B2 Keep on the Borderlands, The
B3 Palace of the Silver Princess
B4 Lost City, The
B7 Rahasia
B8 Journey to the Rock 10
B1-9 In Search of Adventure 35
B10 Night's Dark Terror 35
B11 King's Festival 20
B12 Queen's Harvest 25
C1 Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, The (x2)
C2 Ghost Tower of Inverness, The
C3 Lost Island of Castanamir, The 10
C4 To Find a King
C5 Bane of Llywelyn, The (x2)
C6 Offical RPGA Tournament Handbook, The
CM1 Test of the Warlords (x2)
CM2 Death's Ride
CM3 Sabre River
CM6 Where Chaos Reigns
CM7 Tree of Life, The 20
CM8 Endless Stair, The 20
D1-2 Descent into the Depths of the Earth
DA1 Adventures in Blackmoor 20
DL1 Dragons of Despair
DL2 Dragons of Flame
DL3 Dragons of Hope
DL4 Dragons of Desolation
DL6 Dragons of Ice
DL7 Dragons of Light
DL8 Dragons of War
DL9 Dragons of Deceit
DL10 Dragons of Dreams
DL11 Dragons of Glory
DL12 Dragons of Faith
DL13 Dragons of Truth
DL14 Dragons of Triumph
EX1 Dungeonland
EX2 Land Beyond the Magic Mirror, The
G1-3 Against the Giants
H2 The Mines of Bloodstone 25
H3 The Bloodstone Wars 35
I1 Dwellers of the Forbidden City
I2 Tomb of the Lizard King
I3 Pharaoh
I4 Oasis of the White Palm
I5 Lost Tomb of Martek
I6 Ravenloft 15
I7 Baltron's Beacon 30
I9 Day of Al'Akbar
I10 Ravenloft II: The House on Gryphon Hill
I12 Egg of the Phoenix 35
I13 Adventure Pack I
I14 Swords of the Iron Legion 15
IM1 Immortal Storm, The
IM2 Wrath of Olympus, The
L1 Secret of Bone Hill, The
L2 Assassin's Knot, The
M1 Blizzard Pass
M2 Maze of the Riddling Minotaur
M2 Vengeance of Alphaks
MV1 Midnight on Dagger Alley
N1 Against the Cult of the Reptile God 10
N2 Forest Oracle, The 10
N3 Destiny of Kings
N5 Under Illefarn 15
O1 Gem and the Staff, The
O2 Blade of Vengeance
OA1 Swords of the Daimyo
Q1 Queen of the Demonweb Pits 10
REF3 Book of Lairs, The
REF4 Book of Lairs II, The
S1 Tomb of Horrors 10
S2 White Plum Mountain
S3 Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
S4 Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth
U1 Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, The 10
U2 Danger at Dunwater
U3 Final Enemy, The
UK1 Beyond the Crystal Cave
UK4 When a Star Falls
UK5 Eye of the Serpent
UK6 All That Glitters…
WG4 Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun, The
WG5 Mordenkainen's Fantastic Adventure 15
WG6 Isle of the Ape 15
WG7 Castle Greyhawk 20
WG8 Fate of Istus 15
WG9 Gargoyle
X1 Isle of Dread, The
X2 Castle Amber
X3 Curse of Xanathon
X4 Masters of the Desert Nomads
X5 Temple of Death
X6 Quagmire
X7 War Rafts of Kron, The 10
X9 Savage Coast, The 10
X10 Red Arrow, Black Shield 30
X11 Saga of the Shadow Lord 20
X12 Skarda's Mirror 20
XL1 Quest for the Heartstone 10
XSOLO Lathan's Gold

I add another $430 or so...close to $1000 I guess. You could probably add another $200 for the odd ones that go for more than $5. I would say they are close to break even but then I would defer to a reseller as I could be way off. Perhaps they will make money on shipping and and such.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

** Banned **

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:13 am 

bclarkie, sorry my friend, uwmpipes and i (jpipes/feldgrau) are not the same person. frankly it's none of your business, but nice of you to confront me about it first before trying to get my account shut down, which didn't work btw. maybe it cuts a little close to home, but uwmpipes is my brother, but we are otherwise NOT one in the same person, and his bids are not shills. He actively collects, and I actively sell, and I don't sell cheaper or easier or better to him or any friend/family member. if you don't buy that, too bad, but he's an independent bidder/buyer and not a shill. that is why ebay let me back on, because i proved as much. i don't appreciate you "outing" me on the forum, especially without talking to me in person about it first. what i DID apprently do wrong according to ebay is allowing a friend or family member to bid on my auctions. according to ebay, that is grounds for reprimand, and i was thusly confronted. that being said, his bids were legit in the past. he won't bid in the future anymore, but don't stand here and attempt to call me a liar, cheat, shill, whatever in front of people i respect and consider collecting friends.

i still am unclear on why you never confronted me about this personally before a) going to ebay or b) posting here.

no matter either way, i have zero to hide and stand behind the above 100%.

lastly, do you think if this was a shill operation i'd be so DUMB as to use the account uwmpipes to bid on auctions when my name is jpipes here and Jason Pipes in real life??

** Banned **

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:30 am 

deimos3428 wrote:I'm thoroughly confused.  Why did that auction go for anywhere near what it did?  I'm counting $300-400 worth of stuff.  (But don't take my word for it, 'cause I'm known to be cheap.  Blackmoor and bbarsh bid similar amounts.)

From a person interested in getting an entire collection in one lot, it's priceless. Regardless of the value at $5 a module or $10 a module or $20+ a module, purchased in singles or in smaller groups as is generally the norm and adding shipping to each you get WELL above the current figure. lots of stuff sells on ebay for more than one might occassional deem reasonable or on the mark too, thus is the market! clearly this person is not looking to resell each module like some of the blood thirsty hawks on this forum (hey, i've been there too, i know) so the price is easily justified from the view of a player/collector getting into the scene quickly and painlessly.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:28 am 

Also, tack on $4 shipping for each of the modules....if they were bought separately.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:15 am 

jpipes wrote:bclarkie, sorry my friend, uwmpipes and i (jpipes/feldgrau) are not the same person. frankly it's none of your business, but nice of you to confront me about it first before trying to get my account shut down, which didn't work btw. maybe it cuts a little close to home, but uwmpipes is my brother, but we are otherwise NOT one in the same person, and his bids are not shills. He actively collects, and I actively sell, and I don't sell cheaper or easier or better to him or any friend/family member. if you don't buy that, too bad, but he's an independent bidder/buyer and not a shill. that is why ebay let me back on, because i proved as much. i don't appreciate you "outing" me on the forum, especially without talking to me in person about it first. what i DID apprently do wrong according to ebay is allowing a friend or family member to bid on my auctions. according to ebay, that is grounds for reprimand, and i was thusly confronted. that being said, his bids were legit in the past. he won't bid in the future anymore, but don't stand here and attempt to call me a liar, cheat, shill, whatever in front of people i respect and consider collecting friends.

i still am unclear on why you never confronted me about this personally before a) going to ebay or b) posting here.

no matter either way, i have zero to hide and stand behind the above 100%.

Well, according to Ebay having your brother(if that even is really the case) on your auctions is shilling, period.  If you honestly think that I or anyone else here for that matter is dumb enough to believe that "your borther" was only bidding on your auctions because he was looking to buy the items then you are sadly mistaken.  Strangely enough "your brother's" account was never reinstated, I wonder why that is? :roll:  Dude, I have shut so many shillers now that I have lost count and as a rule EBay always gives them a second chance before shutting them down permantly.  Lastly and most importantly, if you think that you are in effect going to try and steal money from the folks in this community and you actually expected me  to do you the favor and confront you about this in private, then you are even simpler than I though. :roll:  Shillers are nothing but common thieves and they, no matter who they are,  will not be treated as anything other than that.  

jpipes wrote:lastly, do you think if this was a shill operation i'd be so DUMB as to use the account uwmpipes to bid on auctions when my name is jpipes here and Jason Pipes in real life??

Apparently so, because that is exactly what you did.   Let me guess your next move will be to have uwmpipes join the forum and tell everyone that he really is your brother and he was really was just trying to win those auctions.  :roll:

BTW, is stealing from your "friends" common to you, because if so, I would hate to see how you treat the people that you dislike. :roll: And in case you were curious, here is EBay's page about shilling for your reference:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/sel ... dding.html

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:48 am 

jpipes wrote:uwmpipes is my brother, but we are otherwise NOT one in the same person, and his bids are not shills. He actively collects, and I actively sell, and I don't sell cheaper or easier or better to him or any friend/family member.

I am not going to throw any stones here because I dont have reason to think any shilling was being done.  However, just to ask a question regarding common sense....why would you make your brother bid on one of your auctions?  I know everyones families are different but if my brother wanted a D&D item that I had and was going to sell, I would simply tell him how much I wanted for it and allow him to just purchase it from me before putting it on Ebay (actually if I had more than one of them and it wasnt going to fetch more than $10 I would just outright give it to him).

Heck, since Badmike and I are friends if he has something in his store that I want, I dont even bother to bid on it or hit the BIN.  I just email him to pull it from his store that way I get what I want, he gets the amount he wants, and doesnt have to pay Ebay fees and I dont have to pay for shipping....just lunch.  :wink:

I am not going to say bclarkie is correct (from experience he is rarely wrong) but it does look a bit fishy.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:24 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
jpipes wrote:uwmpipes is my brother, but we are otherwise NOT one in the same person, and his bids are not shills. He actively collects, and I actively sell, and I don't sell cheaper or easier or better to him or any friend/family member.

I am not going to throw any stones here because I dont have reason to think any shilling was being done.  However, just to ask a question regarding common sense....why would you make your brother bid on one of your auctions?  I know everyones families are different but if my brother wanted a D&D item that I had and was going to sell, I would simply tell him how much I wanted for it and allow him to just purchase it from me before putting it on Ebay (actually if I had more than one of them and it wasnt going to fetch more than $10 I would just outright give it to him).

Heck, since Badmike and I are friends if he has something in his store that I want, I dont even bother to bid on it or hit the BIN.  I just email him to pull it from his store that way I get what I want, he gets the amount he wants, and doesnt have to pay Ebay fees and I dont have to pay for shipping....just lunch.  :wink:

I am not going to say bclarkie is correct (from experience he is rarely wrong) but it does look a bit fishy.

No King KEEP SHILLING MY AUCTIONS MAN!  You ruined the perfect scam, dude.
         I will say the relative thing is very tricky.  Many, many years ago, one of my cousins wanted an item I was auctioning on ebay (not D&D related, I've sold lots of stuff over the years) and started bidding on it against a few others.  I was so paranoid about the shilling rules, that even though the relative had a different last name, I just pulled the item after they had bid and sold it to them for that price.  No matter the intentions, having a close relative like that bid on items is a situation ripe for exploitation, as a seller you are obligated to avoid the situation whenever it comes up.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:55 am 

i wont get involved in this other than to say that IF this is the case, its damn dissappointing man....  :?

one thing i WILL say though, BC is like "shit off a shovel" (ie. pretty damn impressive) when it comes to things like this and it is damn rare in these situations, that he is wrong.

:(

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:23 am 

Having a brother or other family member or close friend bid on your items, whether to intentionally bid up your items or not, is SHILLING.  

I have a close friend who is also a D & D fan.  I have told him that I'm about to begin selling off some of my surplus stuff and that he can just tell me what he wants before I start the auctions.  Once the auctions begin, I have told him he cannot bid.  

Martin

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:37 am 

I did have a $550.00 snipe in the system, it never did go off.  I was planning on reselling this stuff as well.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

** Banned **

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:36 am 

i am now fully am aware that having friends and family place bids on items they want being sold in your own auctions is not allowed, that is clear to me now, but having you claim i was somehow doing so using two accounts specifically to rip people off is another issue completely. sorry, but those were real bids, friends or family or not .

if having friends bid on auctions is considered shill bidding, then i guess there is a lot of shill bidding going on here, isn't there? considering how well some people here know each other, how much they communicate, how long they've been friends, etc, if some people here bid on other peoples auctions, guess that is a shill bid too. in my opinion, non-sense. i don't care who it is, if someone places a legit bid with the full intention of purchasing an item won at auction, in my opinion it's legit. i like everyone else have to play by ebays rules though, and now that it's been made clear, so be it.

but that is a far cry from saying uwmpipes and myself are the same person and that i was using that account to FALSELY bid my auctions higher to the infringement of collectors on this forum. i stand by what i said and WILL NOT tolerate others saying otherwise. i will continue to fight this matter here for as long as needed.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:00 pm 

btw bclarkie, considering that you are wrong in your accusations i would say that YES you should indeed have contacted me to discuss this matter offline before posting lies about me here and attempting to get my account shut down. doesn't it only make sense to ASK someone before making sudden assumptions about them based only on your own notions?? either way you are incorrrect. your comments and your false claims will not deter me from continuing to post here or from continuing to list sales both here and on ebay, etc.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 19 of 111123 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 109110111