Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 15 of 100123 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 9899100
Author


Prolific Collector

Posts: 671
Joined: Dec 17, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 13, 2019
Location: Italy

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:34 pm 
 

deimos3428 wrote:http://cgi.ebay.ca/Complete-AD-D-1st-Ed ... dZViewItem
Apparently, the enthusiasm is contagious.  $450 BIN.  8O




No more BIN, actually.

 ICQ  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 671
Joined: Dec 17, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 13, 2019
Location: Italy

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:36 pm 
 

Mars wrote:Okay, I know Valhalla Games has been mentioned already for some of its crazy prices but I think this one takes the cake:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 8823509460

But only 1 special person can buy it for this price. WOW!




Unless Australia is having a very bad time right now, some thing like 1 USD equalling 50 AUD, this is sheer folly.

 ICQ  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7942
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 16, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:00 pm 
 

guerret wrote:
Mars wrote:Okay, I know Valhalla Games has been mentioned already for some of its crazy prices but I think this one takes the cake:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 8823509460

But only 1 special person can buy it for this price. WOW!


Unless Australia is having a very bad time right now, some thing like 1 USD equalling 50 AUD, this is sheer folly.


Ok, cmon, fess up. "Valhalla Games" is an elaborate joke/put on by someone here, right?   I  mean, no one wanting to do legitimate business on EBay would have this many knee-slappingly funny statements peppering their description of items (and let's not even talk about the hilarious prices!)

Shop labels: Since 1991, almost all secondhand items also had a shop label, this being a small deep-yellow label, discreetly placed. This label is near-impossible to remove. At one stage, we also began putting this label on new items (similar to what many bookstores do with their stock), however, we discontinued that practice a short time later. So, generally, almost all new items won't have a shop label.




This has got to be a joke, right?



Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

 WWW  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 656
Joined: Apr 12, 2004
Last Visit: Nov 28, 2020
Location: Perth, Australia

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:28 am 
 

badmike wrote:
Ok, cmon, fess up. "Valhalla Games" is an elaborate joke/put on by someone here, right?   I  mean, no one wanting to do legitimate business on EBay would have this many knee-slappingly funny statements peppering their description of items (and let's not even talk about the hilarious prices!)

 Quote:
 Shop labels: Since 1991, almost all secondhand items also had a shop label, this being a small deep-yellow label, discreetly placed. This label is near-impossible to remove. At one stage, we also began putting this label on new items (similar to what many bookstores do with their stock), however, we discontinued that practice a short time later. So, generally, almost all new items won't have a shop label.


This has got to be a joke, right?

Mike B.

No no is true !  is true  ! :lol:

They really did stick the labels on, and most of the time the little white diamond labels are actually under the shrink  8O

Beware the evil re-shrink monster............. :evil:

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:44 am 
 

well they sound like bad-news whichever way you look at it and they are to be avoided at all costs!

no way i am gonna go anywhere near them thats for sure!  8O  8O

btw brendon, did you get my e-mail earlier?

Al



  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 656
Joined: Apr 12, 2004
Last Visit: Nov 28, 2020
Location: Perth, Australia

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:57 am 
 

Al wrote:
btw brendon, did you get my e-mail earlier?


Yep. Got the spare bedroom set up for you. I've heard you're so quiet we won't even know you're here...... :wink:

...and the missus said no probs, so it's all good.

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:25 pm 
 

AdderMcOne wrote:Al wrote:
btw brendon, did you get my e-mail earlier?


Yep. Got the spare bedroom set up for you. I've heard you're so quiet we won't even know you're here...... :wink:

...and the missus said no probs, so it's all good.


hehe top man :)

Al



  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 181
Joined: Apr 02, 2004
Last Visit: May 26, 2014
Location: Sierra Foothills, CA

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:04 pm 
 

What the hell?...

:?:



http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:08 pm 
 

seeyouinescrow wrote:What the hell?...
:?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1




must be the gold plating on each of the items that were auctioned :D



insane!



:)



  


Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2884
Joined: Nov 04, 2004
Last Visit: May 09, 2020

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:16 pm 
 

Non-cynical guess: Those two newbies are just excited and getting wrapped up in a bidding war.

Cynical guess: One of them is a shill.

OTOH, there are 20 items in that lot. That puts it at $15 per item (for now, anyway), which is not the silliest thing I've seen even today.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 181
Joined: Apr 02, 2004
Last Visit: May 26, 2014
Location: Sierra Foothills, CA

Post Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:03 am 
 

seeyouinescrow wrote:What the hell?...
:?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1




Same bidder...holy crap!



http://cgi.ebay.com/TSR-AD-D-lot-World- ... dZViewItem

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:49 am 
 

seeyouinescrow wrote:Same bidder...holy crap!

http://cgi.ebay.com/TSR-AD-D-lot-World- ... dZViewItem


As always, those who believe "prices are rising" will use this as supporting evidence of that assertion.



OTOH, I will cling to the belief that some people are inherently stupid.  :P

 YIM  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Jul 24, 2020

Post Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:49 pm 
 

That looks like a pretty good condition early Greyhawk folio.

(By the way...does anyone else here prefer to spell it grEy a opposed to grAy?)


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:51 pm 
 

MShipley88 wrote:That looks like a pretty good condition early Greyhawk folio.

(By the way...does anyone else here prefer to spell it grEy a opposed to grAy?)


i thought it was spelt Greyhawk anyway?

or am i wrong?

Al



  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6158
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 18, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:55 pm 
 

Wot! No Africa Corps avatar in this thread? Lemme go PM him!


This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

 WWW  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 4475
Joined: Nov 08, 2002
Last Visit: Jan 17, 2021
Location: Land of 10,000 ponds

Post Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:09 pm 
 

MShipley88 wrote:That looks like a pretty good condition early Greyhawk folio.

(By the way...does anyone else here prefer to spell it grEy a opposed to grAy?)


I have used both, but I think I now just use grEy (though in dealing with Greyhawk, I've never actually spelled it with the 'A')

ShaneG.


I reject your reality and substitute my own

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:39 am 
 

troll & toadlets have a fighting wheel up - BIN at $157.45!



http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :B:SS:UK:1



  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3861
Joined: Feb 21, 2004
Last Visit: Aug 21, 2020
Location: Milford, Michigan

Post Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:07 pm 
 

Ok, I thought this lot was ridiculous when it $300 out of the blue. Now $405!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even for newbays this just f-ing nuts.



http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1


And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

 WWW  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3793
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 17, 2021

Post Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:22 pm 
 

bbarsh wrote:Ok, I thought this lot was ridiculous when it $300 out of the blue. Now $405!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even for newbays this just f-ing nuts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1




I think it's the Black & Decker vibrator that comes with it they're bidding on.


Let mirth prevail!

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 671
Joined: Dec 17, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 13, 2019
Location: Italy

Post Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:19 pm 
 

bombadil wrote:
bbarsh wrote:Ok, I thought this lot was ridiculous when it $300 out of the blue. Now $405!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even for newbays this just f-ing nuts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1


I think it's the Black & Decker vibrator that comes with it they're bidding on.




Uhm, I think it's the Fiend Folio, actually.

 ICQ  
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 15 of 100123 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 9899100