Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 107 of 111123 ... 104, 105, 106, 107, 108109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:18 am 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %26ps%3D42

First Print Dungeon Masters Guide..........

$499.00

He includes plenty of pictures.

See the stains on the rear cover.

See the creased inside pages (He states the inside is Pristine).

See the spine showing shelf wear.

I will sell you mine for one tenth that.....

Mine aint Pristine, but what a savings you will enjoy!

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:12 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dungeons-and-Dragon ... dZViewItem

$51.00 monster manual.  Crazy :?

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:51 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:
** expired/removed eBay auction **

$51.00 monster manual.  Crazy :?

Classic reason why you should snipe.

Either a shill bidder or someone who just couldn't let it go.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:57 pm 

$499.00

One-tenth of $499 is $49.9 I'll buy that. If you're serious. I want a 1st print DMG.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:34 pm 

Busman wrote:
Classic reason why you should snipe.

Either a shill bidder or someone who just couldn't let it go.

Probably not shilling.  I would think a seller would be happy to get even $20 off this item.  Why continue to push it to the point of winning it yourself?

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:26 pm 

Aneoth wrote:
** expired/removed eBay auction **

$499.00

Mine aint Pristine, but what a savings you will enjoy!

Actually, the creased pages are included in the listing. Read further before you make snap decisions. And the listing is misleading because pictures show the defects? Ok.

:x

Last edited by argyrebasin on Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:39 pm 

Prufrock wrote:Aneoth,

I think we will have to place a little note in your file saying "Does not work and play well with others".  :lol:   Yes, I know it is T&T but you seem to bring out the worst in folks.  :lol:

Martin

Agree with that one. T&T isn't quite Cougie and not everyone deserves random eBay flames. Many of the sellers on eBay are businessmen/women and sell for a living.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:42 am 

argyrebasin wrote:
Actually, the creased pages are included in the listing. Read further before you make snap decisions. And the listing is misleading because pictures show the defects? Ok.

:x

Creased pages or not, you really should cite the source of your information you're borrowing in the listing.  All we're asking for is a little mention of the Acaeum, y'know?  Many of us went to a lot of work to determine the true 1st printing you're selling. ;)

That price is definitely over the top.  If you can get it, more power to you, but it's really sad to see this sort of predatory listing all the time.

YIM  

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:19 am 

deimos3428 wrote:Creased pages or not, you really should cite the source of your information you're borrowing in the listing.  All we're asking for is a little mention of the Acaeum, y'know?  Many of us went to a lot of work to determine the true 1st printing you're selling. ;)

That price is definitely over the top.  If you can get it, more power to you, but it's really sad to see this sort of predatory listing all the time.

**Comments removed. I'm done trying to justify everything I do on this forum.

Last edited by argyrebasin on Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:56 am 

$499?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:16 am 

serleran wrote:
One-tenth of $499 is $49.9 I'll buy that. If you're serious. I want a 1st print DMG.

well, you can have it! i have a copy on sale here:

http://rpgmarketplace.com/shop.php?name ... _id=100012

i ask that amount... of course it is now as shiny as the copy of argyrebasin!

cheers

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:11 pm 

In argyrebasin's defense, he is an excellent seller with whom I have dealt in the past as well as an Acaeum member in good standing.  If you feel his price is too high at least do him the courtesy of a PM before posting to a public thread.  His other auctions do credit the Acaeum which by the way is an excellent source of advertisement for the collecting community.  (I found my way here via BadMike's store listings.)

He has lowered the price of the auction to $399 and there is now a reference to the Acaeum in the listing.  For the sake of harmony in the forums, please let's try to be a little more forgiving and try to resolve issues in a more amicable fashion.  Come on guys; let's bury the hatchet.... Just not in each other :)

Peace

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:21 pm 

smarmy1 wrote:He has lowered the price of the auction to $399 and there is now a reference to the Acaeum in the listing.

$399 is still patently ridiculous.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:29 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
$399 is still patently ridiculous.

I wasn't arguing whether the price was good or not just that it doesn't hurt to be a little nicer to one another.  Also, for the sake of discussion what would be a reasonable price (Ebay listing) for this item in the stated and/or visible condition?  I'm not a DMG print-run junkie and since the last Acaeum estimate/valuation was in 2005,  I really have no idea.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:39 pm 

smarmy1 wrote:
I wasn't arguing whether the price was good or not just that it doesn't hurt to be a little nicer to one another.  Also, for the sake of discussion what would be a reasonable price (Ebay listing) for this item in the stated and/or visible condition?  I'm not a DMG print-run junkie and since the last Acaeum estimate/valuation was in 2005,  I really have no idea.

I wasn't blaming or criticizing you smarm. :)  Truthfully a good BIN price I'd say would be $75 or if you were really looking to stretch maybe $100 or $125 tops.  $400 for a 1st Print DMG would be highway robbery.

The highest 1st that I have ever recorded(and I do in fact track them, although I have been slacking the last 2 months or so) was the one I sold about 6 months ago(which was actually nicer than this one) in which I had a bidding war between 2 bidders that resulted in it being $266 and that was utterly ridiculous. I wasn't going to complain obviously, but it didn't make it any less ridiculous.  

Of the other 1sts that I have seen the second highest price ever for a 1st was $167 and the third was $150.  I am not even sure I'd count the third though as that was a opy that Frank Mentzer sold that was signed. Out of a total of 44 1st print DMG prices recorded over a 2 1/2 year period, only 3 have exceeded the $100 mark, 1 of which was sold and signed by Frank Mentzer, so you are looking at 2 bidding wars and a "special" copy, none of which even came close to $400.  $400 for one is beyond ridiculous.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:44 pm 

smarmy1 wrote:Also, for the sake of discussion what would be a reasonable price (Ebay listing) for this item in the stated and/or visible condition?

Maybe I am wrong on this but I think most people actively searching for one of these will just wait until one goes by fairly unnoticed and then pounce on it.  I think if you look through the fun finds you'll see a few that have sold fairly cheap ($20) but then auctions that get noticed can be more in the $100 range?

Same thing goes for a lot of other D&D items.  Jade Hare comes to mind - I've seen at least 6 sell for under $20 along with the Dungeons & Dragons game.  But if you were to sell it by itself clearly marked, it would go much higher.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:57 pm 

Thanks for the info, Brian.   :D

I think this kind of detailed information is extremely useful and is exactly  what is required when determing whether an item is significantly overpriced or not.  Unfortunately, I myself don't keep track of auction listings and barely manage to record what I pay for the items I purchase.  (Good Lord... I hope my wife never finds this list.  Gulp.  8O)  

Based on what you posted, the price does seem rather high.  (I for one was confusing this printing with the 2nd print alpha which definitely commands a significant premium, at least according to the older prices on this site.)  As I said, I'm no DMG print-run junkie. :D

On a related note, are there any plans afoot with the other valuation board memebers to refresh the category 4 and 5 rares on this site?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:05 pm 

Mars wrote:
Maybe I am wrong on this but I think most people actively searching for one of these will just wait until one goes by fairly unnoticed and then pounce on it.

I absolutely agree!  Once I learned a little patience and how to better conduct my Ebay searches, I would watch for particular items (Shrink wrapped of course  :wink: ) and would pounce rather than purchasing via a BIN or an auction that was overbid (at least as far as I was willing to go.)

Good advice, Mars unless you have deep pockets or really don't want to wait for another opportunity to bid.  Heck I think I enjoy the search as much as I do the acquisition and with the US economy taking it on the chin, I will definitely be more patient in my acquisitions.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 107 of 111123 ... 104, 105, 106, 107, 108109110111