Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 11 of 111123 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 109110111
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:47 am 

bbarsh wrote:You can buy the set in shrink at that price.

they certainly though this module isn't in a set but a original one, released separetly. And the seller description let them think this too.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 3:57 pm 

bbarsh wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/TSR-AD-D-1st-Ed-Dun ... dZViewItem

This is just plain getting crazy.   8O

IIRC that's about the same as Al paid a year or two back. ;)

If the price of the whole box goes up you'd expected L3 to increase, too, since that's the key item.

There has, however, been a lag, so maybe it's just taking time to "catch up", especially with regards to the high-end prices realised. And ~$75 for a single item is serious money, so maybe that's to be expected.

The old "silliest price" thread makes for interesting reading and L3 had frequent-visitor status there, as you'll recall. :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 5:10 am 

faro wrote:
bbarsh wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/TSR-AD-D-1st-Ed-Dun ... dZViewItem

This is just plain getting crazy.   8O

IIRC that's about the same as Al paid a year or two back. ;)

If the price of the whole box goes up you'd expected L3 to increase, too, since that's the key item.
There has, however, been a lag, so maybe it's just taking time to "catch up", especially with regards to the high-end prices realised. And ~$75 for a single item is serious money, so maybe that's to be expected.

The old "silliest price" thread makes for interesting reading and L3 had frequent-visitor status there, as you'll recall. :)

lol yeah yeah yeah here we go again :)

actually, that was more than i paid, but not that much more. that was one of my moments of madness....sheesh we all have them :) i just wanted it to complete a set anyway - which i did sell and make money on in the end, so alls well and ends well with that tale  :P  :P  :P

it IS very odd nowadays tho that someone will pay that for an L3 as the box set shows up quite often now.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:50 pm 

Hurry on this one!   :roll:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TSR-Hobbies-Origina ... dZViewItem

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 5:02 pm 

For this kind of money, you may want to go into a bit more detail...or even a few more photos would help...damn, for that price these things better come alive and do the housework, mow the lawn, watch the kids, take the wife to dinner...etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ACTION-FIGURES-ENTI ... dZViewItem

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 5:25 pm 

seeyouinescrow wrote:For this kind of money, you may want to go into a bit more detail...or even a few more photos would help...damn, for that price these things better come alive and do the housework, mow the lawn, watch the kids, take the wife to dinner...etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ACTION-FIGURES-ENTI ... dZViewItem

I am thinking it is someone who took the events of "The 40 Year Old Virgin" to heart and way to seriously. In it the guy sells his action figure collection for money close to or more than that if memory serves me correctly. I can not imagine a collection of action figures that would come close to that. And even if you had that sort of collection you would have to know it is better breaking it up return wise than trying to sell it in one big auction.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 5:26 pm 

seeyouinescrow wrote:Hurry on this one!   :roll:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TSR-Hobbies-Origina ... dZViewItem

If they only had two at that I price I would be tempted. See I want one to look at and enjoy and one to save as an investment.  :lol:

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:08 pm 

If he had 250 of these sets included...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sears-Cantina-Adven ... dZViewItem

Or 1,250 Blue Snaggletoothes (Snaggleteeth?):

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-STAR-WARS-BLUE ... dZViewItem

Then, maybe...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:49 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8813784023

And here I was thinking the under bidder was bidding way too much. :roll:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 3:13 am 

bclarkie wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8813784023

BC, well you clearly missed the gem in that lot mate, which is clearly what the guy was gunning for..... X1 The Isle of Fread.

That has to be a super-rare hybrid of the normal X1 that is so very common. wasnt this the one that they printed 1 of and then stopped printing when they realised their error?  :P

Al

*EDIT* oh yeah, and the other one too, D3 The Vayult of the Draw....wow man, uniques all over the place there :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:20 am 

bclarkie wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8813784023

I have seen a trend in this kind of behavior lately. Mid-sized lots going for way too much money. It almost seems that there has been a spike in new buyers. Possible more collectors coming into the market - can't be sure. But for whatever reason, module lots have been selling at higher than normal levels.

Agreed though, this one is even higher than the already elevated levels.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 5:14 pm 

D&D collecting is gonna grow for the next few years...a function of generations and time.  That's good news for all you sellers.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 5:31 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:D&D collecting is gonna grow for the next few years...a function of generations and time.  That's good news for all you sellers.

I generally agree — and I don't want to drag this thread over the moon or anything — but I'm always leery of blanket statements when it comes to collectibles.

There's plenty of current Burger King employees who can remember betting heavily on baseball cards and comics in the '90s, back when they owned stores.

Plus, there's the future (or lack thereof) of the economy, and blah, blah, yada, yada, etc., etc. You just never can tell ... although, as stated, I suspect you're right.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:20 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:There's plenty of current Burger King employees who can remember betting heavily on baseball cards and comics in the '90s, back when they owned stores.

And therein lies the difference between collecting and speculating.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:52 pm 

As if there aren't speculators in the world of "collecting." :roll: We've got at least 10 using these forums alone ... I can't remember how many times I've heard "item X is bound to go up in value; I'm hanging on to my five copies."

And I'm not saying that makes anyone a bad person or less of a "collector." My point, again, is that there are no guarantees. Just because we collect this sh*t doesn't mean it's bound to go up in value. I suspect much of it will, but the world is full of variables ...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:25 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:As if there aren't speculators in the world of "collecting." :roll: We've got at least 10 using these forums alone ... I can't remember how many times I've heard "item X is bound to go up in value; I'm hanging on to my five copies."

And I'm not saying that makes anyone a bad person or less of a "collector." My point, again, is that there are no guarantees. Just because we collect this sh*t doesn't mean it's bound to go up in value. I suspect much of it will, but the world is full of variables ...

Yes, how did that D&D speculating work out for Creepy?   :twisted: RPG collecting is a very interesting niche. At some point I think the desirablity will go down on these because frankly I think someday you'll be able to get any module/supplement you want, including the ST1's and POTVQ's of the world, on quality Pdfs.  It will happen, it's only a matter of time, and although the originals will retain value I think those desiring a copy without paying a grand plus will be able to get one.

Mike B.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:31 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Xaxaxe wrote:As if there aren't speculators in the world of "collecting." :roll: We've got at least 10 using these forums alone ... I can't remember how many times I've heard "item X is bound to go up in value; I'm hanging on to my five copies."

Yes, how did that D&D speculating work out for Creepy?   :twisted: RPG collecting is a very interesting niche. At some point I think the desirablity will go down on these because frankly I think someday you'll be able to get any module/supplement you want, including the ST1's and POTVQ's of the world, on quality Pdfs.  It will happen, it's only a matter of time, and although the originals will retain value I think those desiring a copy without paying a grand plus will be able to get one.

Mike B.

Now who couldn't help but remember his sigline for his posts here:

creppydealer wrote:Ignoring pessimists who continue to say "how could that sell for that ?" I continue to take advantage of the strengthening, escalating, very valuable D&D collectibles market. Its been a long time coming, Where it wil stop, nobody knows.

:lol:

What a moron. :roll:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:37 pm 

That was his signature line :?: :!: :?: I guess I must have blocked it out of my memory ...

Remember the thread where someone (Mark S.?) mentioned using "genius" for other words? I just remembered another classic: Creepy is an asshat.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 11 of 111123 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 109110111