Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 97 of 111123 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 109110111
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:03 pm 

NetRodent wrote:
I was #2 on this one. Given the poor condition of this item I thought my bid was silly enough that no one would pay anything close to it.  I should have known better.

*shaking fist in the air* LOFENLOCCCCCCCCC!!!!

But why?!?  Why feel the need to pay so much for something that is in such poor condition?  Even though I think the price on the Hardtack was high....its condition is far superior to that copy of Fast Rules....even if the staples were replaced.

I just dont get it.  :|

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:32 pm 

What Lance wants, Lance gets. I am sure he has the largest non-TSR collection out there.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:39 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:What Lance wants, Lance gets. I am sure he has the largest non-TSR collection out there.

Too true....but technically my question was posed to NetRodent since his second highest bid was right up there.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:04 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Wow....just wow.  :lol:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0232067331

No surprise as to who the three highest bidders are. Quite a bit of difference in bid price between the top three bidders and the fourth one (me  :wink: ).  It will make it all the more enjoyable when I end up winning one of these for half the price.  :D

I certainly wouldn't have minded winning this for half the price either. I'm sure all three of the top bidders aren't thrilled with the competitive state of affairs.

I think in part it just reflects the different motivations and mentalities in the community bidding on these items on eBay. For example, I'm not really concerned about the valuation of my collection, or my ability to turn this purchase around for a profit in 2 or 5 or 20 years. I am concerned that scarce items appear infrequently, and in some respects paying more is simply an alternative to waiting longer. Time is, as always, money.

While I'm sympathetic to the wish that prices were stable and sane, my sympathy is similar to that for, say, world peace. I suspect that in most similar markets there is a small group of annoying spenders who inflate the market and attract a good deal of derision.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:49 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:What Lance wants, Lance gets. I am sure he has the largest non-TSR collection out there.

And looking at the completed auctions you can't help but agree with that statment...

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:58 pm 

I should clarify my assessment by stating that Lance is one of the nicest guys in the collecting business. More power to him.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:40 am 

http://cgi.ebay.com/AD-D-Deities-and-De ... dZViewItem

Is there something I'm missing???   8O

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:10 am 

gaming_fool wrote:
** expired/removed eBay auction **

I was 100% for truth about to post about this very same auction. Does Elric come out and shake your hand?? I'm in the dark.

Zen

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:14 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
But why?!?  Why feel the need to pay so much for something that is in such poor condition?  Even though I think the price on the Hardtack was high....its condition is far superior to that copy of Fast Rules....even if the staples were replaced.

I just dont get it.  :|

I'm generally not overly concerned with the condition of rare items.  Given a choice between having an item in poor condition or not having an item, I'd usually go for having it; assuming it's not falling apart or a bio-hazard.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
--H.L. Mencken

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:02 pm 

Zenfinite wrote:
I was 100% for truth about to post about this very same auction. Does Elric come out and shake your hand?? I'm in the dark.

Zen

I thought I paid a lot by picking one up for $50 last weekend...  Good grief!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:35 am 

gaming_fool wrote:

I can't understand the bidding on this one either.  All you have to do is look around a bit, have some patience, and you can pick this one up pretty easily.  I have two copies of Deities and Demigods first print, and I paid less than $10 for each.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:25 am 

Artur wrote:
I can't understand the bidding on this one either.  All you have to do is look around a bit, have some patience, and you can pick this one up pretty easily.  I have two copies of Deities and Demigods first print, and I paid less than $10 for each.

WOW. :!:  Now those were excellent finds and very low buys.

I have 2 first prints and paid no less than $36 each for them.
I also have 2 second and 2 third prints and none of them were for $10.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:20 am 

Aneoth wrote:
WOW. :!:  Now those were excellent finds and very low buys.

I have 2 first prints and paid no less than $36 each for them.
I also have 2 second and 2 third prints and none of them were for $10.

Definitely good buys.  Last weekend I got a 2nd for a shade over $50.  There were 4 other copies (w/Cthulu) I bid on and lost.  Not exactly rare. They were going for about $70.  I think $50 is high, $70 is real high, and $200 just outrageous.  But to each his own.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:03 pm 

Artur wrote: I have two copies of Deities and Demigods first print, and I paid less than $10 for each.

1st/2nd prints show up at Half Price regularly; priced up to maybe $50, but still it shows how common they are.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:11 am 

8O  8O http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=001

Seams really high ($999) Am I missing something?  I would think this would finish in the $750 range :?

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:43 am 

Blackmoor wrote:8O  8O  

Seams really high ($999) Am I missing something?  I would think this would finish in the $750 range :?

Damn, that jumped in price quickly.  I expected it to hang around a low value for quite a while and then only jump come the last day.

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:30 pm 

Artur wrote:

Of course this listing may not be for a first print as the Second print also has the Mythoi that were excluded from later prints.

Worse, it is certainly NOT in mint condition.

There is a small amount of wear from use and a few very small water stains on the page edges.  The photo in the add is a stock photo and is for general identification purposes only

Newbies going nuts over something they know nothing about?
Shilling?

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:56 am 

You would think for a $250 BIN that this would be in just a tad bit better condition:

That is one sad looking box....and those supplements (especially the Blackmoor) don't look much better.  Of course, included is the super-rare supplement Swards and Spells so now $250 looks like a bargain.  :roll:

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 97 of 111123 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 109110111