Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 92 of 111123 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 109110111
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:56 pm 

Crazy prices 8O  8O

** expired/removed eBay auction **

The Monster manual and DMG are mega high (IMHO).  may be a new trend starting here.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:10 pm 

What the heck?  Is someone screwing with Brian or did someone actually pay those?  Because if so thats a damn good haul.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:15 pm 

The winning bidder's feedback indicates prior deals with Acaeum users. It's looking like a good score for BC.  8)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:27 pm 

i agree - very nice! BCs credit card won't be quite so stretched anymore :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:22 pm 

Soooo.....$3,050 for a shrink copy of OB3 ?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... :IT&ih=012

Just slightly overpriced  8O

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:33 pm 

AdderMcOne wrote:Soooo.....$3,050 for a shrink copy of OB3 ?

strange weekend. auctions 3 or 4 times times high and auctions 3 or 4 times low ;) ;)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:55 am 

AdderMcOne wrote:Soooo.....$3,050 for a shrink copy of OB3 ?

Cary144 was the guy who bought my shrink wrapped DL modules for over $100 when I had listed them maybe 6 months ago. Paid promptly, just seems like a guy with a lotta cash. But, take a look at the bids. There was one other guy willing to pay $3000. If I had one, I'd sell it for $3000 no sweat. Wow.

Zen

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:20 pm 

Cmon...someone REALLY needs to hit the BIN on this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-DRAGONSKIN-Classi ... dZViewItem

Wonder what's the FVF on that? Ouch!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:26 pm 

Badmike wrote:Cmon...someone REALLY needs to hit the BIN on this one:

Wonder what's the FVF on that? Ouch!

Mike B.

OOO I really like them, and at just shy of a quarter of a mil each - who could resist?!

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:36 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/RPG-D-D-ORIGINAL-19 ... dZViewItem

$500???

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:37 pm 

Wags wrote:

$500???

Didn't you hear?!?! Gary Gygax just died, this stuff is collectible now!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:49 pm 

Didn't you hear?!?! Gary Gygax just died, this stuff is collectible now!

You know I just happened to start some auctions last Saturday and listed a PH, DMG, MM, MMII, UA, and his Lejendary Adventure box set.  Pretty common stuff that doesn't typically do all that well at auction.  Then all of a sudden by Tuesday/Wednesday I started getting big bids that I attributed to newbies.  $25 of the UA and $10-$15 each for the other books and $15 for LA.  Coincedence?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:27 am 

napoleonsdad wrote:
You know I just happened to start some auctions last Saturday and listed a PH, DMG, MM, MMII, UA, and his Lejendary Adventure box set.  Pretty common stuff that doesn't typically do all that well at auction.  Then all of a sudden by Tuesday/Wednesday I started getting big bids that I attributed to newbies.  $25 of the UA and $10-$15 each for the other books and $15 for LA.  Coincedence?

Sold out of all my 1st Ed PHBs, and most of my 1st edition rulebooks. Looks like nostalgia is hitting a lot of misty eyed gamers this week...

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:25 am 

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dungeon-magazine-6- ... dZViewItem

I know issue #6 is a fan-favorite but isn't this a little crazy?  8O

Zero feedback bidder?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:47 am 

Ekim Toor wrote:

I know issue #6 is a fan-favorite but isn't this a little crazy?  8O

Zero feedback bidder?

I'm starting to be a little distrustful of zero feedback bidders since Ebay's new policy change. Basically, I won't be raising my bid against one.  I just got outbid on an auction by one, and I'm out; there is simply no reason to participate in a "blind" process particularly when certain items are going for way more than they should.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:08 pm 

That's good advice. Now, more than ever, I'd advise all Acaeum members to remember that original piece of eBay wisdom: just bid what you're willing to pay for the item (and, as reluctant as I am to give eBay any credit, they've been saying that since the middle '90s).

The other option, of course, is just to snipe ... you'll either win at the price you want or you'll get an error message saying that your bid wasn't high enough. No harm, no foul. But there is no longer any valid reason for engaging in any sort of bidding war, especially against new eBay users with feedbacks less than 10. Sadly, eBay is practically inviting shilling at this point.

Finally, remember what Frank's signature says: there's nothing so truly unique that it won't be auctioned again at some point in the future.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:27 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:That's good advice. Now, more than ever, I'd advise all Acaeum members to remember that original piece of eBay wisdom: just bid what you're willing to pay for the item (and, as reluctant as I am to give eBay any credit, they've been saying that since the middle '90s).

The other option, of course, is just to snipe ... you'll either win at the price you want or you'll get an error message saying that your bid wasn't high enough. No harm, no foul. But there is no longer any valid reason for engaging in any sort of bidding war, especially against new eBay users with feedbacks less than 10. Sadly, eBay is practically inviting shilling at this point.

Finally, remember what Frank's signature says: there's nothing so truly unique that it won't be auctioned again at some point in the future.

If you read between the lines, Ebay isn't just inviting shilling...they are rolling out the red carpet, getting the nice Chateau Bordeaux from the wine cellar, and breaking out the Twister.  The latest eye rolling, vomit inducing "workshop" instructed users of Ebay to get multiple user IDs...one to sell to international customers (supposedly because your DSR will be dinged when items take weeks to arrive overseas) and one to use to US customers. Apparantly it's no longer verboten to stash multiple IDs as long as you aren't in your face about it...so at this point they are virtually giving instructions on how to shill.  

And why shouldn't they? What part of shilling hurts ebay?  The inflated higher FVF?  The added excitement of a bidding war driving a price up?  The more money a seller makes on an item? (which presumably makes up for the ass kicking of a fee raise Ebay has imposed on them). I always thought Ebay's lip service about a "safe and fair" marketplace was a little suspect; now, if you find yourself in a bidding war with a zero feedback bidder, you are a little more than a stooge and shouldn't expect any help from ebay in discovering if you were taken.

Oddly enough since the policy changed, suddenly zero or low feedback bidders are jumping out of the woodwork to drive prices up juuuuust over the legit bidders highest bid.  Please. If the seller wants his own item back bad enough, he can have it as far as I'm concerned.  

Honestly, I think this practically renders the entire pricing structure of a lot of collectibles meaningless unless they are sold for a certain amount in a Ebay store or rpg marketplace.  Does anyone really think some of these prices are sustainable? I could sit a Dungeon #6 in my ebay store for YEARS and not sell it for over $100.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:25 pm 

Badmike wrote: they are virtually giving instructions on how to shill.

How easy is it to retract a bid? A seller's shill could bid to find the highest buyer's maximum, but at that point has lost the sale & will owe fees for making the shill. If the seller can retract a shill bid, then bid over again to just below that maximum, they can force any buyer to pay their maximum bid.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 92 of 111123 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 109110111