Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 84 of 111123 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 109110111
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:53 am 

See, nonsense like these jacked up bidding wars is why I will never use Ebay.

Well, this and all those crooked sellers on it who basically exist to rip people off.  And their shilling co-conspirators.  And all the sniping software that everybody uses.  And those professional ebayers who can wait at their computer screen at all hours of the day to track of 20 items at a time and snipe the end of all the auctions.  The list goes on.

The average guy like me doesn't stand a chance.

I'll stick to Amazon, used book stores, and trustworthy sellers from this forum to satisfy my habit.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:33 am 

Agent Cooper wrote:See, nonsense like these jacked up bidding wars is why I will never use Ebay.

Well, this and all those crooked sellers on it who basically exist to rip people off.  And their shilling co-conspirators.  And all the sniping software that everybody uses.  And those professional ebayers who can wait at their computer screen at all hours of the day to track of 20 items at a time and snipe the end of all the auctions.  The list goes on.

The average guy like me doesn't stand a chance.

I'll stick to Amazon, used book stores, and trustworthy sellers from this forum to satisfy my habit.

While I agree that bidding wars for common items is ludicrous and that there are a lot of pitfalls to watch out for on Ebay, it is still the best place to find out of print items.  Used book stores like Half-Price Books are very hit-and-miss.  Where else can you get a copy of Mines of Bloodstone for $6 and then expect to pay $150 for Greyhawk Wars with a beat to hell box and missing counters?  Amazon isnt much better imho.  Astronomically high prices for common items and sellers that are just as bad as some of the retards on Ebay.

If you are just a casual collector and dont care about getting all of the uber-rare items, Ebay is the best place to find them.  All it takes is a little patience and you will eventually find the particular item you are looking for and at a good price.

Case in point.  A couple of years ago I was looking for a few items including Wrath of the Immortals and Planes of Conflict.  I had tried numerous times to get both of these but the going price for them was anywhere from $60 - $100 dollars with PoC being on the high end of that spectrum.  I kept waiting and waiting and eventually I was able to win auctions for both of them.  I ended up paying $34 for Planes of Conflict and $38 for Wrath of the Immortals, and both of them were in almost near mint condition with all contents.  I dont spend a lot of time browsing Ebay for deals (one hour every other day at the most) and I dont use sniping software and rarely use manual snipes.  Maybe that puts me at a disadvantage to some but it doesnt really bother me.

You can always get some good deals from resellers like Noble Knight as well.  GenCon and other gaming conventions can also be a very good place to pick up stuff for cheap prices.  I went to my first GenCon last year and came away with a very nice haul.  Even the rares can sometimes be had for a lot less than the average Ebay price.

Ebay sucks but the alternatives all suck in their own ways as well.  :wink:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:25 am 

if you snoop around enough and be patient about what youre doing, you can mostly find what you want for the price youre willing to pay.

i enjoy the hunt just as much as the purchase, so its all good to me. i will sit and wait for as long as it takes. life goes on either way!

imo one of the best places to find a bargain, is gencon and i seriously shit you not there. i picked up some great deals and so did the guys i was with and frankly, sitting in the live auction there, is the best experience getting your hands on something that you could possibly imagine.

if you have the patience there as well, there are most definately some bargains to be had, if you know what youre looking for.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:29 am 

oh AC

now that you mention it, i NEVER use sniping software either and unless i wait til the end to fire a bid, you can generally see my bid a mile away. but thats ok...i dont really mind, it will always be the price i am willing to pay, simple as. i havent got the patience to play games getting something :)

and frankly, i havent bothered with ebay hardly at all since august. i would much rather deal/trade privately with friends and save my funds til gencon next time. its much more fun strolling around finding your items with some friends who enjoy the same hobby as you.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:06 am 

Badmike wrote:
 Anyway JG I'm putting the set up tonight and I'll split the profit with you, the least I can do since neither of us could forsee this ridiculous price...maybe the runner up bidder will jump all over it, I'm going to send him a link.

JohnGaunt wrote:
A trip to a gentlemen's club would suffice.  

Get ready to stuff some dollar bills down a stripper's panties..... :twisted:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Crazy buyers....... didn't even take 12 hours....8O

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:23 am 

Badmike wrote:Crazy buyers....... didn't even take 12 hours....8O

I looked a couple of hours ago, and was surprised to see that it had already gone.

I may have to see if there's anything I'm willing to part with from my collection that might go for a bit, as it seems eBay bidding has gone crazy lately. :D

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:44 pm 

Please excuse my ignorance, but why would somebody want this Wrath of Immortals set?  It certainly isn't that old.  Is it rare or good or both? :?:   Or neither?

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:47 pm 

benjoshua wrote:Please excuse my ignorance, but why would somebody want this Wrath of Immortals set?  It certainly isn't that old.  Is it rare or good or both? :?:   Or neither?

It is not that common especially in good shape.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:51 pm 

benjoshua wrote:Please excuse my ignorance, but why would somebody want this Wrath of Immortals set?  It certainly isn't that old.  Is it rare or good or both? :?:   Or neither?

The set is okay. Its one of the more popular 2nd edition items, however a lot of that has to with the fact that it has "Immortals" in the title. :?   Like the Bloodstone modules, the 1st edition Immortal set, most Planescape stuff and just about anything else that references high levels, gods, demons, devils &/or planar creatures.  Its popularity is at least partially rooted in the fact that it has to do with those things, because those things are viewed as *kewl*.  It's just one of those things that more gamers are attracted to than others.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:09 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
The set is okay. Its one of the more popular 2nd edition items, however a lot of that has to with the fact that it has "Immortals" in the title. :?   Like the Bloodstone modules, the 1st edition Immortal set, most Planescape stuff and just about anything else that references high levels, gods, demons, devils &/or planar creatures.  Its popularity is at least partially rooted in the fact that it has to do with those things, because those things are viewed as *kewl*.  It's just one of those things that more gamers are attracted to than others.

It's probably harder to find than a lot of other Mystara stuff, but not particularly more difficult IMO. It does contain two books, and two maps, and as we all know the more items included in a box set, the exponential fact that more sets will be incomplete as a result...

But yeh, $100+ seems a bit uncalled for.  

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:49 am 

Seemingly undunted by previous failures to sell $5 to $10 worth of books for $50 to $100:

Even with the 50% reduction in price this is still a pile of junk with most items written in and having missing pages.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:20 pm 

8O  8O  8O

D&D Original White Boxed Set + Chainmail + Greyhawk +

BLACKMOOR - ELDRITCH WIZARDRY - SWORDS & SPELLS - GODS

http://cgi.ebay.com/D-D-Original-White- ... dZViewItem

Huh?

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:04 pm 

smarmy1 wrote:8O  8O  8O

D&D Original White Boxed Set + Chainmail + Greyhawk +
BLACKMOOR - ELDRITCH WIZARDRY - SWORDS & SPELLS - GODS

Huh?

No reference sheets? So incomplete?

.... obviously accounts for the massive discount  :roll:

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Last edited by obiter on Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:23 pm 

napoleonsdad wrote:

Price slashed :!:  :!:

Even with the 50% reduction in price this is still a pile of junk with most items written in and having missing pages.

Well if at first you don't succeed try, try, try again.  And then if that doesn't work lower the price and try again...and then if that still doesnt work jack the price back up and try again....   :roll:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:39 pm 

What, exactly, is "acceptable condition?"

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:50 am 

g'day guys! sat at Brendon's pc in Perth just now. nice being on holiday for a change! :)

get a load of these:

thats optimism at its best, and i guess, stupidity at its worst :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:39 pm 

Tortured Souls #12 was pretty hard for me to find probably because it was the last issue; I think I paid around $75 on eBay, though I'm sure it can be had for less.  19 pounds may not be a bad deal for that one.  The others are pretty common to pick up.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:16 pm 

viewtopic.php?t=4947 - mbassoc2003 - I also snagged a TS10 over the weekend for £10. The last one of those I put on eBay sold for £50.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 84 of 111123 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 109110111