Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 72 of 100123 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 9899100
Author


JG Valuation Board

Posts: 149
Joined: Dec 23, 2006
Last Visit: Jul 26, 2012
Location: Whitley Bay,Tyne and Wear

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:18 am 
 

Yes I have bought a couple of items from him in the past.

As has been said he doesnt inflate the carriage, and the items I purchased were very reasonable.

I do agree though some Bins are quite steep!

D.

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 518
Joined: Oct 26, 2005
Last Visit: Mar 25, 2021

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:11 pm 
 

Wait a sec...why would Gary Gygax autograph a 3.0 PH?  I was under the impression he despised 3rd edition, and so do many of his contemporaries.  Something fishy here...

In any case, wouldn't buy ANYTHING "Autographed" on Ebay anyway, unless the seller could provide me COA signed in blood by Sotheby's.

You can take a marker and make a squiggle on anything and say it's autographed.  99% of the "autographed" stuff on ebay is utterly fake.

  

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2737
Joined: May 31, 2007
Last Visit: Mar 22, 2021

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:22 pm 
 

As I recall, EGG was at GenCon when the 3e PHB was released, at the request of WotC (and being paid for it, I believe.) He did sign the PHB, as did numerous others who were there, as part of the big sale... I know, because I had one (it was later broken in half but that's a story I hate relating.) I've since bene looking for a replacement, but that price is insane.


Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

  


Verbose Collector

Posts: 1324
Joined: May 28, 2007
Last Visit: Aug 27, 2011
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:26 pm 
 

Agent Cooper wrote:Wait a sec...why would Gary Gygax autograph a 3.0 PH?  I was under the impression he despised 3rd edition, and so do many of his contemporaries.  Something fishy here...

In any case, wouldn't buy ANYTHING "Autographed" on Ebay anyway, unless the seller could provide me COA signed in blood by Sotheby's.

You can take a marker and make a squiggle on anything and say it's autographed.  99% of the "autographed" stuff on ebay is utterly fake.


I can make two guesses: one is that 3E was released in 2000 and the seller claims the signatures are from GenCon 2000, so it's possible that Gary Gygax (and others) hadn't had a chance to see the new edition in any detail yet.

The other option is just that GG (and others)  may have felt it would have been far too impolite to refuse.

Edit: Or it's more likely to be what serleran said. ;)

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 720
Joined: Aug 28, 2007
Last Visit: Feb 01, 2017
Location: Brooklyn

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:57 pm 
 

I just remembered this one...



should be viewable for few more days:




** expired eBay auction **




I mean, I like old dice but this price is just REDICULOUS!

 WWW  


Verbose Collector

Posts: 1324
Joined: May 28, 2007
Last Visit: Aug 27, 2011
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:01 pm 
 

Sealed Dragon Dice "Random Number Generators" packs are a 5 on the rarity scale, so not entirely surprised.

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 720
Joined: Aug 28, 2007
Last Visit: Feb 01, 2017
Location: Brooklyn

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:02 pm 
 

g026r wrote:Sealed Dragon Dice "Random Number Generators" packs are a 5 on the rarity scale, so not entirely surprised.


What about the Percentile Generators?

Still seems crazy... although the red I've never seen before, maybe that's what drove the price up too.

 WWW  


Verbose Collector

Posts: 1324
Joined: May 28, 2007
Last Visit: Aug 27, 2011
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:04 pm 
 

Percentile generators?  Hrm...

The values over on the price index are actually higher for sealed packs of those.

Code:
         Dragon Dice        Apr 13 05        5        $6         $11         $15         $19         $23         $25          
          Dragon Dice Percentage Generators        Apr 13 05        5        $10         $18         $24         $30         $36         $40 


I don't pay attention to the auctions of them, so I can't say what current prices are though.

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4748
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 14, 2021
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:06 pm 
 

I have seen those dice go for higher than that price recently.  And the auction winner is improvstone who is a long-standing member of The Acaeum.  I think he has a thing for dice though.  :wink:


You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 720
Joined: Aug 28, 2007
Last Visit: Feb 01, 2017
Location: Brooklyn

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:15 pm 
 

Kingofpain89 wrote:I have seen those dice go for higher than that price recently.  And the auction winner is improvstone who is a long-standing member of The Acaeum.  I think he has a thing for dice though.  :wink:


Well... I have a thing for dice too. :(

I guess 5--6 years of not collecting has really messed me up a bit. 8O

 WWW  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 518
Joined: Oct 26, 2005
Last Visit: Mar 25, 2021

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:20 pm 
 

serleran wrote:...I know, because I had one (it was later broken in half but that's a story I hate relating.)....


Now that's a tough table...   :D

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 601
Joined: Apr 15, 2007
Last Visit: Mar 02, 2021
Location: Cleveland, OH

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:37 pm 
 

Hmmm, since dice seem to be the rule of the day, I've got a nice sealed pack of 5 dice back from when they used to sell the OCE boxed set...remember when you'd walk into the store, buy your books, and they had the little plastic-sealed pack of dice....ca. 1978-79, I believe?

Image

Improv, they're yours for only $25...that's half the price of your dragon dice.

:twisted:


Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7949
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 15, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:17 pm 
 

Agent Cooper wrote:Wait a sec...why would Gary Gygax autograph a 3.0 PH?  I was under the impression he despised 3rd edition, and so do many of his contemporaries.  Something fishy here...

In any case, wouldn't buy ANYTHING "Autographed" on Ebay anyway, unless the seller could provide me COA signed in blood by Sotheby's.

You can take a marker and make a squiggle on anything and say it's autographed.  99% of the "autographed" stuff on ebay is utterly fake.


I saw him sign one at the Gencon just past....as a matter of fact, saw Tim Kask sign the SAME one later in the convention.  The guy had tons of other sigs also in the 3E PHB.  Some guys just like to get whatever they have handy signed I suppose....

Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:26 pm 
 

Badmike wrote:
I saw him sign one at the Gencon just past....as a matter of fact, saw Tim Kask sign the SAME one later in the convention.  The guy had tons of other sigs also in the 3E PHB.  Some guys just like to get whatever they have handy signed I suppose....

Mike B.


i am gonna take my 40th book again next time and add sigs to it. i want to get 2 blank pages filled with sigs of the artists there

Al



  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 261
Joined: Dec 17, 2003
Last Visit: Dec 09, 2017
Location: Upstate New York

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:29 pm 
 

not an ebay auction, but still pretty funny...



http://product.half.ebay.com/Sinister-S ... QprZ488726


-dave

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 720
Joined: Aug 28, 2007
Last Visit: Feb 01, 2017
Location: Brooklyn

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:01 am 
 

Center_Stage_Hobbies wrote:Hmmm, since dice seem to be the rule of the day, I've got a nice sealed pack of 5 dice back from when they used to sell the OCE boxed set...remember when you'd walk into the store, buy your books, and they had the little plastic-sealed pack of dice....ca. 1978-79, I believe?

[ Image ]

Improv, they're yours for only $25...that's half the price of your dragon dice.

:twisted:


I just bought a set from Advancing Hordes for $12...

Now my Holmes set is complete  :D

 WWW  


Active Collector

Posts: 67
Joined: Dec 16, 2006
Last Visit: Dec 27, 2019
Location: Cambourne, UK

Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:45 am 
 

I just grabbed five sets of these from ebay for $31.00, so about 6 bucks a piece.  Can't decide whether this was a decent price or not, but I've been after some sealed sets for ages, so, y'know, when you've gotta have them, you've gotta have them...  :D

Now just need to snag me some of them Dragon Dice...

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 601
Joined: Apr 15, 2007
Last Visit: Mar 02, 2021
Location: Cleveland, OH

Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:34 pm 
 

Wow...I was actually KIDDING with my post. I had a dutch auction offering those dice sets for only $3.95 each...and only sold one set.

I would have given my left arm to sell a set for $12...

8O


Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

  


JG Valuation Board

Posts: 149
Joined: Dec 23, 2006
Last Visit: Jul 26, 2012
Location: Whitley Bay,Tyne and Wear

Post Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:05 pm 
 

Ok before you all jump on me....this did not exactly go to plan  :oops:



http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=001

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:49 pm 
 

Cushionsnbeans wrote:Ok before you all jump on me....this did not exactly go to plan  :oops:


** expired eBay auction **




you must be bloody crackers mate :)



but hey its your money.



Al



ps. frank must be laughing himself silly there :)



  
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 72 of 100123 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 9899100