Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 77 of 111123 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 ... 109110111
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:47 am 

killjoy32 wrote:i like to get on with everyone ...
Al

We like you too Al  :lol:

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:56 am 

I don't bid the price up to make it high, I am willing to pay the premium price for the item.. I don't mind having one more in the cabinet.

So if I like the item, I put a nice juicy price on it... if someone wants it, then they will have to pay a bit more for me not to have it. Like the Dungeon 1 from the same seller, I put over $78.00 on it, and I also have 2 in my store.. do I need a 4th (I have one still in my collection)... but it could have been in better shape than all 3 I have... someone else obviously wanted it more than I did, and they bought it.

Heck I've sold a few items in the last month for less than I paid for them, just how it goes some times, especially when the item isn't in the shape the seller said it was... 2 of the mags I bought were shipped in a plain media mail envelope after I asked the seller twice to ship in a box.. they both got folded to be stuffed in the mail box. I tossed one and the other wasn't too bad so I sold for less than I paid for it. I still bought more stuff from the same seller... I just bitched a bit that I wanted all items in a box from now on. I didn't lose any sleep over it.

Born last night or not, yes I sometimes buy on eBay for fun. Sometimes I buy so someone else can't have the item because they pissed me off as a buyer or seller and I know they want the item... heck I start new collections like that some times since I might buy something I was never interested in.

My "market" when I do sell, is not the members of the Acaeum, at least not through eBay, since I wouldn't expect anyone here to pay the prices I have listed (but I have sold to Acaeum members for way less than the eBay prices). I point to the Acaeum in all auctions, so there is no reason for any buyer to pay the prices, but they do. I really never think any price is to silly to sell or buy at, collector type items are worth whatever the buyer is willing to pay to have the item.

If you think about it real hard... I have been using The Acaeum for about 6+ years to read up on items and prices... never even paid attention to the forums...  never posted to this site... never had a an eBay store... something "pissed me off" at one point and now I do all 3... got me into something I never had time for in the past... and maybe I won't have time again down the road and it won't matter... at least The Acaeum will benefit to some extent while I do have time to sell items since I have donated over $290.00 here in the last few months... overall I am sure I've spent way more than I've sold of late :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:51 am 

tdewey10 wrote:
I'd like to see the mint one as well.

These are closeups of the spine wear on my copy and the only corner with rounding (for comparison).  

http://aycu15.webshots.com/image/23534/ ... 809_rs.jpg
http://aycu31.webshots.com/image/25830/ ... 271_rs.jpg
http://aycu07.webshots.com/image/23606/ ... 011_rs.jpg

Here's pics of the same areas on my mag... but I don't wanna be taking it out of the bag no more.. almost dropped it...

http://medievalgames.com/ebay/Drag1/dscn1346.jpg
http://medievalgames.com/ebay/Drag1/dscn1347.jpg
http://medievalgames.com/ebay/Drag1/dscn1348.jpg

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:16 am 

All I know is that if an item seems to be consistently overpriced, I'll look for it somewhere else. The internet is a big place, and eBay is not the only option - its just the most common. Then again, my definition of "value" and that of others is often quite askew...

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:50 am 

serleran wrote:All I know is that if an item seems to be consistently overpriced, I'll look for it somewhere else. The internet is a big place, and eBay is not the only option - its just the most common. Then again, my definition of "value" and that of others is often quite askew...

thats the nature of the beast - you willalways find something you want at a price youre happily prepared to pay.

thats half the enjoyment for me - the actual looking.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:57 am 

ScketreWhisp wrote:
Also, I have pulled many items from my store and taken them off eBay to sell to a couple of Acaeum members at better prices (ask CenterStage or Smarmy)

For what it is worth, as I still consider myself a newbie to these forums, Doug offered me a fantastic deal on the item I purchased from him, a shrinkwrapped H1.  In fact Doug only knew I was looking for an H1 because another member, CenterStage, was buying some items from him.  As his deal with Doug involved some of the other Bloodstone modules, CenterStage just happened to mention that I had been trying to find a nice copy of H1 for sometime without success.  As it transpired, Doug contacted me unsolicited via the Acaeum and we arranged a deal.  Now some may read this as a purely capitalist endeavour (Doug was trying to unload his H1); however, he could have made far more had he sold it in his store or in an Ebay auction.  Certainly this is true with the modules and OCE's he sold CenterStage. Doug even offered if I saw anything else to let him know and he would give me a great price.  I prefer to read his actions as another example of why I enjoy being part of the Acaeum community (people helping people who also happen to be D&D collectors) not just someone out for a fast buck nor someone inflating the value of items for their own purposes.  Doug is certainly not unique in this respect as many other Acaeum members have done much the same because we are Acaeum members and not just random strangers.

I return time and time again to this forum, the weekly chat, and even some weekly, online gaming because I enjoy the collecting community that has grown up around the Acaeum site.  I realize that Doug's start here was rocky to say the least; however, I thought he had come to be an accepted member whatever that means.  Over the past months, he has certainly provided monetary support to the Acaeum via his Ebay store, offered additionaly publicity via his mention of the Acaeum in his Ebay listings, participated in the forums and weekly chats, had parties inviting Acaeum members, and even sweetheart deals to those Acaeumites he has never even met.  Every group or community has its rules some written, many unspoken.  Now as members of the Acaeum, particularly those of you who have been here for far longer than myself, if you feel Doug or any of us for that matter, have done or said something in bad form, please let us know.  I would just suggest that it be done in a private message and not in the forum itself; no one likes to be called out or admonished in public.  Please reserve that for the truly shady dealers, shillers, and Cougs that are out there.

This post is not meant to antagonize anyone and no offense was implied.  Perhaps I prefer the simplistic philosophy of Rodney King,  "Can't we all just get along."  The world certainly has enough strife, conflict, and drama without it manifesting itself in what I consider my hobby.  

Please, everyone have a great weekend! :D  :D  :D

Thanks,
smarmy1

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:29 pm 

- http://medievalgames.com/ebay/Drag1/dscn1346.jpg
- http://medievalgames.com/ebay/Drag1/dscn1347.jpg
- http://medievalgames.com/ebay/Drag1/dscn1348.jpg
sweet copy getting into hypercritical comics grading territory ;) ;) little bit of staple rust only??

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:56 pm 

Rakeesh sah Tarna wrote:- http://medievalgames.com/ebay/Drag1/dscn1346.jpg
- http://medievalgames.com/ebay/Drag1/dscn1347.jpg
- http://medievalgames.com/ebay/Drag1/dscn1348.jpg
sweet copy getting into hypercritical comics grading territory ;) ;) little bit of staple rust only??

What would be nice for the acaeum grading scale is that instead of just the word description there were accompanying close-up sample photos.

Last edited by tdewey10 on Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:56 pm 

Rakeesh sah Tarna wrote:-

Nope, the staples are as silver and shiny as they can be... so this one stays in the collection for now

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:24 pm 

Hear, hear, smarmy. I have to agree with your post. So far, I've found nothing but great people on this forum and truthfully, it's the only AD&D forum I frequent.

Let me chalk up a "good guy" vote in Doug's column. He not only saved me HUNDREDS of dollars in completing my collection, but he also went out of his way to send me quality products very quickly and for FAR less than he had them listed for on eBay.

I know everybody is different...and sometimes personalities clash...but I've got to say that Doug's been nothing to me but a stand-up guy.

:D For what this rookie's opinion is worth...

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:21 am 

Does anyone else besides me think the shipping amount on this item is absolutely nuts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=018

The seller states it will be shipped via USPS priority mail and doesnt state another shipping method under the shipping and handling section.  But then below that she states that buyer pays actual shipping charges and no handling charges whatsoever.  So if a priority mail flat rate box is $8.95 then why the hell is she charging $20 for shipping?  :?

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:36 am 

Does anyone else besides me think the shipping amount on this item is absolutely nuts?

** expired/removed eBay auction **
sPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018

The seller states it will be shipped via USPS priority mail and doesnt state another shipping method under the shipping and handling section.  But then below that she states that buyer pays actual shipping charges and no handling charges whatsoever.  So if a priority mail flat rate box is $8.95 then why the hell is she charging $20 for shipping?

The seller's feedback rating for shipping charges is 4.8/5.0 so he's not getting dings for overcharging.  Could be an error I suppose.  Definately weird.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:38 am 

sPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018

The seller states it will be shipped via USPS priority mail and doesnt state another shipping method under the shipping and handling section.  But then below that she states that buyer pays actual shipping charges and no handling charges whatsoever.  So if a priority mail flat rate box is $8.95 then why the hell is she charging $20 for shipping?

They must have amended the charges since you posted this...it shows up for me as $8 and change for priority shipping.

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:03 pm 

Center_Stage_Hobbies wrote:
They must have amended the charges since you posted this...it shows up for me as $8 and change for priority shipping.

Strange.  It is still showing $20 for me.  But there is something else I just noticed.  It is calculating the shipping charges based on zip code.  I put in the zip code for Chicago and it changed the shipping price to $6.30.  So she didnt amend the shipping price but it is being calculated based on distance from the seller.

This doesnt make any sense to me.  Correct me if I am wrong but I thought Priority Mail used a flat rate regardless of distance within the continental U.S.  If I am correct then her shipping calculator is f'ed up.  :?

Edit:  I did get a message back from her and apparently the shipping calculator is messed up.  So at least she was as surprised as I was and was very nice about it as well.  :)

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:56 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote: Correct me if I am wrong but I thought Priority Mail used a flat rate regardless of distance within the continental U.S.

Only if it's in a Flat Rate Priority Mail box or envelope.  Otherwise the Priority postage is calculated by weight and destination much like all other USPS delivery methods.

Edit:  I did get a message back from her and apparently the shipping calculator is messed up.  So at least she was as surprised as I was and was very nice about it as well.  :)

Are you saying that nicely asking a question gets a pleasant response?  Shocking!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:07 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:Only if it's in a Flat Rate Priority Mail box or envelope. Otherwise the Priority postage is calculated by weight and destination much like all other USPS delivery methods.

I was assuming that it would be shipped in a priority flat rate box thus the reason for the question to the seller.  I was told that it was too tall to put in a flat rate box with packing material so the cost to ship would be higher.  Regardless, unless she ships it in a wooden crate the shipping should still be quite a bit less than $20.

While I was typing this up I received a reply from the seller and she stated that shipping priority would be $11.90 and parcel would be $9.35.

JohnGaunt wrote:Are you saying that nicely asking a question gets a pleasant response? Shocking!

In this case yes.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:30 pm 

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=a ... &type=lgns

Anybody know if EGG gets into dogfighting? We could all make a bundle.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:19 pm 

Here comes the King ....  8O  8O  8O

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 77 of 111123 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 ... 109110111