Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 67 of 111123 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 109110111
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:59 pm 

Hmmm...I'm away from my computer for about an hour...come back to find my selling total has jumped about $120! Then I see this....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0130639816

8O Yikes!!!  

Not like I'm complaining...just hoping it's legit!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:04 am 

seeyouinescrow wrote:Hmmm...I'm away from my computer for about an hour...come back to find my selling total has jumped about $120! Then I see this....

8O Yikes!!!  

wowza!

On the surface bidders seem legit, though not much history. Both have recently bought an old dmg, but aren't bidding on/haven't won much else - just rings a bit odd. Though the way prices are at the moment I reckon you're golden on this auction!

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:11 am 

seeyouinescrow wrote:Hmmm...I'm away from my computer for about an hour...come back to find my selling total has jumped about $120! Then I see this....

8O Yikes!!!  

Well, maybe the loser will then buy my copy...at $100 less  8O

http://cgi.ebay.com/D-D-Swords-Spells-D ... dZViewItem

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:24 am 

- Hmmm...I'm away from my computer for about an hour...come back to find my selling total has jumped about $120! Then I see this....

- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0130639816

- 8O Yikes!!!  

wowzer!! $139 for not quite mint swords + spells 1st. troll + toad kicking themselves they do not have a copy for sale??

would have expected $50-60? but good battle!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:21 am 

Rakeesh sah Tarna wrote:- Hmmm...I'm away from my computer for about an hour...come back to find my selling total has jumped about $120! Then I see this....
-  
** expired/removed eBay auction **

- 8O Yikes!!!  
wowzer!! $139 for not quite mint swords + spells 1st. troll + toad kicking themselves they do not have a copy for sale??

Actually T&T has a copy also...not as nice as mine, but actually even cheaper!!!!  8O

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:30 am 

silly i did not see wizard on $139 auction just thought must be 1st that price!!! :D :D :D thanku Badmike

thought $65 4th blackmoor  
was high :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:23 am 

Rakeesh sah Tarna wrote:silly i did not see wizard on $139 auction just thought must be 1st that price!!! :D :D :D thanku Badmike
thought $65 4th blackmoor  
was high :)

Degassy is nuts..I think he's gone up against some Acaeum members in auctions and far overpaid for items that aren't that hard to find.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:33 pm 

Rakeesh sah Tarna wrote:- Hmmm...I'm away from my computer for about an hour...come back to find my selling total has jumped about $120! Then I see this....
-  

- 8O Yikes!!!  

It is bizarre isn't it? Every Sellers dream - a crazy newbie war over an item that is relatively common. Don't those bidders look around for similar items? They are now bidding six times what it is worth. Astonishing  8O

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:53 pm 

Badmike wrote:

Well, maybe the loser will then buy my copy...at $100 less  8O

Mike B.

Mike,

I think that I should point out that Julia's is a much more collectable FIFTH print, while your copy is a measley SIXTH print. :P How can you really compare those? :roll:

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:04 am 

Wanna hear something ironic. I picked up my copy of Swords and Spells, which is a near mint first printing to the best of my knowledge, for ... drum roll, please ... $1.50 in a used book store about four years ago. And you know what, I felt like I got ripped off because the actual gaming content of the supplement leaves much to be desired. The only reason I keep it around is for its historical value.

"Curses to those responsible for wrapping blackness in everlasting chains."

--WG4 Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:13 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:
It is bizarre isn't it? Every Sellers dream - a crazy newbie war over an item that is relatively common. Don't those bidders look around for similar items? They are now bidding six times what it is worth. Astonishing  8O

Well... looks like party time's over...dickhead ebayer "randols1" has just informed me he'd like to cancel his bids...bringing the current price down to a whopping $12.04.  :cry:  I half expected as much. Look's like a bargain now at that price!

In addition...if any resellers or otherwise would like to block this loser from their own auctions (as I now have of course), it would be much appreciated.  :wink:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:21 am 

While I don't wanna be mean, I do wanna say woohoo! Now I can bid on it. :)

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:26 am 

serleran wrote:While I don't wanna be mean, I do wanna say woohoo! Now I can bid on it. :)

Well thank you! All bids welcome!  8)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:57 am 

Badmike wrote:Like, for example, an unscrupulous seller seeing Degassy bid on their auctions, might have a buddy (doesn't even have to be a shill, just anyone with an ebay account) drive the dude's bids skyhigh secure in the knowledge he will outbid ANYONE at ANYPRICE.

From what I can tell, degassy wouldn't be too affected by a shill. He's in it to buy the items and seems to have plenty of expendable funds to enjoy his new hobby. I would wager that the difference between 100 and 500 for him is about the same as the difference between 5 and 10 bucks for us.

If you wanted something for 5, you'd probably just as happily buy it for 10 without a fear that you might be shilled by some "unscrupulous" street urchin. You'd be happy to have it.

I've seen this in foreign countries where Americans are paying for something they think is a deal, but which is enough money to support a family for two months.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:01 pm 

Degassy is nuts..I think he's gone up against some Acaeum members in auctions and far overpaid for items that aren't that hard to find.

While Degassy may be a wealthy collector I think his tactic is to be the earliest bidder so when other potential bidders see his name they go, "oh, Degassy has bid, I can't win so there is no point in me placing a bid".  Does the guy ever buy a fixed price item from a store?  I would think a legitimate, serious collector with seemingly unlimited resources would go through the stores first and then fill in the holes in his collection via the auction.

Personally if I see Degassy as the high bidder I'm not scared off.  I place my bid anyway, higher than normal, and make him pay for his win.  I run auctions too and would hate to think people are afraid to bid because they see the Degassy name.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:20 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0133844955

How high will this guy go?  I have a feeling I could have placed a $60 bid and still lost.  At least he didn't win it for $20. :lol:

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:54 pm 

napoleonsdad wrote:

How high will this guy go?  I have a feeling I could have placed a $60 bid and still lost.  At least he didn't win it for $20. :lol:

*checks Acaeum standard values for U1*

Spindled, folded, and mutilated indeed... :roll:

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:17 pm 

No bids yet?!?

Shocking!!!  :roll:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 67 of 111123 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 109110111