Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 59 of 111123 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 ... 109110111
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:52 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:

Probably the craziest prices I have seen on Ebay so far this year.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

52.95 for a less than stellar copy of I6!?!?  8O

Heh, I missed that one when I was compiling my post. By comparison, the $15.50 the same bidder paid for a decent copy of FR6 looks like a bargain.  :roll:

edit: I've noticed the same thing as bclarkie...it seems like at LEAST 50-60% of the auctions I've been watching end up with a bid from him, and he ALWAYS comes back when he's outbid, even on dirt-common stuff. I figured it was someone who got a fat check back from the IRS and decided to build up a D&D collection, but some of the prices he's paid boggle my mind.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:04 pm 

schief wrote:Heh, I missed that one when I was compiling my post. By comparison, the $15.50 the same bidder paid for a decent copy of FR6 looks like a bargain.  :roll:

edit: I've noticed the same thing as bclarkie...it seems like at LEAST 50-60% of the auctions I've been watching end up with a bid from him, and he ALWAYS comes back when he's outbid, even on dirt-common stuff. I figured it was someone who got a fat check back from the IRS and decided to build up a D&D collection, but some of the prices he's paid boggle my mind.

bclarkie has been outbidding me as well...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:09 pm 

Fioreddrale has bought a few items from me in the last couple weeks.

A thought occured to me.  I looked at an auction today and saw where Fioreddrale was the high bidder.  I didn't waste time submitting a snipe because I knew the person would outbid me.  Could this be a tactic?  Spend a fortune winning auctions so when potential bidders see his name they don't bid and eventually the guy will start winning auctions with minimal bidding.  

If it is a tactic I don't think it makes much sense.  But keep a watch to see if the guy actually deters bidding.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:16 pm 

Hal Jordan wrote:bclarkie has been outbidding me as well...

:D Yeah I've probably been outbid a time or two by him as well, but I was actually referring to old Fino there. Sorry I wasn't very clear...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:17 pm 

Hal Jordan wrote:
bclarkie has been outbidding me as well...

Are you sure thats me?  :)   Seriously, I just counted my actual auction wins over the last 4 weeks and I only count 10 of them(my bidding/buying has decreased substantially over the last several weeks).  I have some other purchases, but they are all via BIN.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:39 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Are you sure thats me?  :)   Seriously, I just counted my actual auction wins over the last 4 weeks and I only count 10 of them(my bidding/buying has decreased substantially over the last several weeks).  I have some other purchases, but they are all via BIN.

oops--i recognized your eBay name as a SELLER of stuff i've been watching...not as a winning bidder of stuff i've been watching.

Sorry!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:52 pm 

Hal Jordan wrote:
oops--i recognized your eBay name as a SELLER of stuff i've been watching...not as a winning bidder of stuff i've been watching.

Sorry!

Oh no biggie. I was just a bit confused. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:09 pm 

My countrymen did it again! A copy of the Vampire Dark Ages core rulebook in Italian went for 141 euros  8O . Check it here:  
[/i]

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:18 am 

Here are some auctions that I was watching, but the prices just went "off the map":

11 Endless Quest books (used, but nice condition) :o

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1

Mint condition L3 module :o

18 Super Endless Quest books (nice condition) 8O

This one was just whacked in my opinion, unless these are "Super Rare"

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:25 am 

PM-Knight wrote:Here are some auctions that I was watching, but the prices just went "off the map":

11 Endless Quest books (used, but nice condition) :o

18 Super Endless Quest books (nice condition) 8O

This one was just whacked in my opinion, unless these are "Super Rare"

Actually, the Endless Quest books typically sell for $7-$9 apiece when I get them in, so the prices for full sets are about right.  I put in some token bids but got spanked good!  The L3, I'll never understand, when you can get the entire set for almost that much....

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:52 am 

Badmike wrote:Actually, the Endless Quest books typically sell for $7-$9 apiece when I get them in, so the prices for full sets are about right.  I put in some token bids but got spanked good!  The L3, I'll never understand, when you can get the entire set for almost that much....

Mike B.

I did not realize that the Endless Quest went for that much, as I bought some "new" ones (overstock) on eBay a few weeks ago for $1.25 or $1.50 each and the seller combined S&H, so they averaged out to $2.50 or $2.75 a piece. I really wanted the Super Endless Quest and the set of 11, as the Endless Quest ones I purchased are more aimed at kids and I remember the ones I posted here as being more "robust".

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:58 am 

The Endless Quest books are pretty hit and miss.  Some of the original series ones sell for more such as the Conan or Tarzan ones but they are pretty hit and miss too.  Usually the trouble is finding someone who starts them at a low price.  Part of the appeal is getting the collection in good shape all at once.  I am still missing a few books but don't really want to pay the shipping  to complete the set.

Some of the other sets like the Crimson or Heart Quest ones are a bit tougher to find too.  But I think those prices were still pretty crazy.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:13 am 

Finoreddrale...  I actually did win an auction out from under him a couple weeks back.  I noticed he had bid on just about everything from a certain seller, and also that he wasn't allowing himself to be outbid regardless of the price.  Since I only really wanted one particular item from the seller, I used the following strategy (let me know if this is totally unethical) :): I bid on everything Fioreddrale had, let him jump me, bid again on everything to outbid him, let him jump me again, and then I only bid higher on the one item I actually wanted.  This was designed to send him the message, "Let me have this one thing, or you're gonna pay more for everything!"  Must have worked, 'cause he left that one alone from then on.  I probably paid a couple $ more than I would normally have, but at least I got the item (NM Rogues Gallery).

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:57 am 

Sniping seems the best way to beat out bidders like Finorredrale.  For some reason they rarely throw their highest bid out there and assume that they will win with a low bid.  Then they get outbid and have to bid again.  Snipe them at the last second and they won't have time to bid again.

Now I don't snipe very often, usually just put in my highest proxy bid.  If I get outbid at the end...no big deal.  Another one will come up eventually.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:29 am 

What the heck is this guy thinking?

At least this one has the box and ref sheets:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-Dungeons-a ... dZViewItem

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:04 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
At least this one has the box and ref sheets:

Guess he never did an ebay search when he wrote" I have not seen a complete set anywhere for quite a while. "   :roll:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:41 pm 

Well, I have a couple of amazingly high auctions for the same gamebook which is, I assume  :wink: , VERY valuable here. Look at this:

and this

Yikes!  8O  8O  8O

Now looking for this gamebook is now a high priority of mine  :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:17 pm 

PM-Knight wrote:Here are some auctions that I was watching, but the prices just went "off the map":

"

what idiocy - i have a box set for sale for almost that lol :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 59 of 111123 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 ... 109110111