Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 58 of 111123 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 109110111
Author

User avatar

Verbose Collector

Posts: 1107
Joined: Dec 04, 2005
Last Visit: Mar 15, 2016

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:27 pm 
 

finished $255



could have taken $200 buy it now on box set listed before end of sale  
** expired/removed eBay auction **

  


Active Collector

Posts: 15
Joined: Mar 19, 2007
Last Visit: Aug 15, 2012
Location: Honolulu, HI, USA

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:11 pm 
 

How about these Dragon mags in the teens that ended today for $100 each, not even in mint condition:


** expired/removed eBay auction **





** expired/removed eBay auction **





** expired/removed eBay auction **




My only question is--why does issue #12 get no love?


** expired/removed eBay auction **




Most of them are listed as VG condition as well...this is really silly.



Hal Jordan

  


Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2056
Joined: Aug 28, 2006
Last Visit: Sep 30, 2022
Location: Tashkent, Uzbekistan

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:52 pm 
 

That James_wildwest must be flush with cash. Looks like he put a giant bid on all the ones he wanted. Amazing prices.

  


Active Collector

Posts: 15
Joined: Mar 19, 2007
Last Visit: Aug 15, 2012
Location: Honolulu, HI, USA

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:58 pm 
 

HermitFromPluto wrote:That James_wildwest must be flush with cash. Looks like he put a giant bid on all the ones he wanted. Amazing prices.


Amazing is one way to put it.  I had another word in mind... =)

Seriously, i wouldn't pay more than $10 each for issues in the teens in this condition--maybe up to $20 each if they were perfect or closer to issue #10 than #20.  Paizo is currently out of stock, but they sell them for $15 each when in stock.

Hal Jordan

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3597
Joined: Dec 20, 2003
Last Visit: Oct 01, 2022
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:59 pm 
 

WOW!!!




** expired/removed eBay auction **




Congrats Brian  8O


Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!


Last edited by Blackmoor on Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 6116
Joined: May 03, 2003
Last Visit: Oct 02, 2022
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:18 pm 
 

Hal Jordan wrote:Paizo is currently out of stock, but they sell them for $15 each when in stock.


Uhm.  I don't think Paizo has ever or will ever has these issues in stock.  They also sell Dragon #1 for $15 "when in stock".  I think they just assigned some arbitrary values to these.  The stores like Noble Knight that have some of these in stock price them around $30 - $50 for issues in the teens.

 WWW  


Active Collector

Posts: 15
Joined: Mar 19, 2007
Last Visit: Aug 15, 2012
Location: Honolulu, HI, USA

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:26 pm 
 

Mars wrote:

Uhm.  I don't think Paizo has ever or will ever has these issues in stock.  They also sell Dragon #1 for $15 "when in stock".  I think they just assigned some arbitrary values to these.  The stores like Noble Knight that have some of these in stock price them around $30 - $50 for issues in the teens.




i stand corrected Mars!  i was going by what i've been able to score off eBay of late...

In this auction, i won Dragon #8, 22, and 25, plus a MIB Kelek, three hardbacks, and some mono modules for just under $40.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1



i re-read my earlier post, sorry if it sounded combative, i wasn't disagreeing with you, the guy obviously needed certain issues and didn't mind haven't to pay for them...plus someone else had to value them nearly as high to push his bids all the way to $100, so you can't call him completely insane...or you'll have to call the other bidders insane as well.



humbly,

Hal

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector

Posts: 1107
Joined: Dec 04, 2005
Last Visit: Mar 15, 2016

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:41 pm 
 

reply delayed with crash but the same as above

- Seriously, i wouldn't pay more than $10 each for issues in the teens in this condition--maybe up to $20 each if they were perfect or closer to issue #10 than #20.  Paizo is currently out of stock, but they sell them for $15 each when in stock.

http://paizo.com/store/magazines/dragon/issues/1978
http://paizo.com/store/magazines/dragon/issues/1979
price means nothing if never in stock again. might as well say $0.99 each

http://paizo.com/store/magazines/dragon/issues/1980
http://paizo.com/store/magazines/dragon/issues/1981
43 is $43. 51 is $51. why? because of typo only not because rare.

13-21 23-29 more difficult than 7-12. low number does not mean more rare or more valuable even. common pitfall and same with jtas little wars others
however #12 for $15.50 was a good price for a fine copy

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector

Posts: 1107
Joined: Dec 04, 2005
Last Visit: Mar 15, 2016

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:48 pm 
 

- In this auction, i won Dragon #8, 22, and 25, plus a MIB Kelek, three hardbacks, and some mono modules for just under $40.

- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1



#7.

good pickup if you need most of that. :) shipping probably too much for many people just wanting one or two dragons

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 6116
Joined: May 03, 2003
Last Visit: Oct 02, 2022
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:14 pm 
 

Hal Jordan wrote:
i stand corrected Mars!  i was going by what i've been able to score off eBay of late...
In this auction, i won Dragon #8, 22, and 25, plus a MIB Kelek, three hardbacks, and some mono modules for just under $40.

** expired/removed eBay auction **





No worries Hal.  I was just pointing out that in a properly advertised auction, I think you would be hard pressed to get these issues for $10 especially if there is the possible of getting a run of them.   



I think you did well in your auction but the seller doesn't have very good feedback and the issue numbers of the Dragon's aren't listed in the auction so I don't think it was very well advertised.

 WWW  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4752
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: Jun 25, 2022
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:22 pm 
 

8O



http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-NORTHERN-REACHE ... dZViewItem



What the hell?

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 6116
Joined: May 03, 2003
Last Visit: Oct 02, 2022
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:42 pm 
 

Kingofpain89 wrote:8O


** expired/removed eBay auction **


What the hell?




The non winner finoreddrale has been spending a ton of money laterly too - maybe he won the lottery as well.

 WWW  

User avatar

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 728
Joined: Oct 23, 2006
Last Visit: Jun 05, 2022
Location: Maitland, Florida

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:14 am 
 

Mars wrote:
The non winner finoreddrale has been spending a ton of money laterly too - maybe he won the lottery as well.


Odd that I received a message that he is in the hospital... Maybe they have wi-fi there?


If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

  


Active Collector

Posts: 15
Joined: Mar 19, 2007
Last Visit: Aug 15, 2012
Location: Honolulu, HI, USA

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:21 am 
 

Mars wrote:
No worries Hal.  I was just pointing out that in a properly advertised auction, I think you would be hard pressed to get these issues for $10 especially if there is the possible of getting a run of them.   

I think you did well in your auction but the seller doesn't have very good feedback and the issue numbers of the Dragon's aren't listed in the auction so I don't think it was very well advertised.


Agreed on both accounts Mars--still, $100 each is nuts!
=)

  


Active Collector

Posts: 15
Joined: Mar 19, 2007
Last Visit: Aug 15, 2012
Location: Honolulu, HI, USA

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:31 am 
 

Rakeesh sah Tarna wrote:reply delayed with crash but the same as above

- Seriously, i wouldn't pay more than $10 each for issues in the teens in this condition--maybe up to $20 each if they were perfect or closer to issue #10 than #20.  Paizo is currently out of stock, but they sell them for $15 each when in stock.

http://paizo.com/store/magazines/dragon/issues/1978
http://paizo.com/store/magazines/dragon/issues/1979
price means nothing if never in stock again. might as well say $0.99 each

http://paizo.com/store/magazines/dragon/issues/1980
http://paizo.com/store/magazines/dragon/issues/1981
43 is $43. 51 is $51. why? because of typo only not because rare.

13-21 23-29 more difficult than 7-12. low number does not mean more rare or more valuable even. common pitfall and same with jtas little wars others
however #12 for $15.50 was a good price for a fine copy


Point well taken regarding the Dragons not being in stock Rakeesh, but i didn't realize the teens were less common than the earlier issues--i wonder why the Acaeum price guide doesn't reflect this?  With the exception of #20, the rest fall progressively in suggested price and don't have any indication of being less common.

  


Active Collector

Posts: 40
Joined: Feb 14, 2007
Last Visit: Jun 08, 2019

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:12 am 
 

One seller had quite a banner night last night. You'll notice that many of these star the same winning bidder:



WG5 for $41: http://cgi.ebay.com/MORDENKAINENS-FANTA ... dZViewItem



The Great Khan game for $82: http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-GREAT-KHAN-GAME ... dZViewItem



(here's one for $9.99 that ended a few days ago w/no bids:  
** expired/removed eBay auction **
)



And the big winner...H4 for $202.50!



http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-THRONE-OF-BLOOD ... dZViewItem



There were a couple others I debated adding as well from the same seller, like a $70 H3 and $110 Wild Things, but those were the cream of the crop. Guess someone's laughing all the way to the bank today...

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4752
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: Jun 25, 2022
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:29 am 
 

schief wrote:One seller had quite a banner night last night. You'll notice that many of these star the same winning bidder:

WG5 for $41:  
** expired/removed eBay auction **


The Great Khan game for $82:  
** expired/removed eBay auction **


(here's one for $9.99 that ended a few days ago w/no bids:  
** expired/removed eBay auction **
)

And the big winner...H4 for $202.50!


** expired/removed eBay auction **


There were a couple others I debated adding as well from the same seller, like a $70 H3 and $110 Wild Things, but those were the cream of the crop. Guess someone's laughing all the way to the bank today...




Probably the craziest prices I have seen on Ebay so far this year.



http://cgi.ebay.com/RAVENLOFT-AD-D-MODU ... dZViewItem



52.95 for a less than stellar copy of I6!?!?  8O



I did a search and checked the prices for some of the previously sold I6's.  I did find one that went to $27.99 that was sold by intelligator.



http://cgi.ebay.com/AD-D-Dungeons-Drago ... dZViewItem



But the rest of them that I found sold for around $10.  I noticed that one of the bidders bid particularly high on both of the auctions.  That guy definitely doesnt have much patience.  :roll:

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6455
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Sep 10, 2022

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:50 am 
 

Kingofpain89 wrote:

Probably the craziest prices I have seen on Ebay so far this year.


** expired/removed eBay auction **


52.95 for a less than stellar copy of I6!?!?  8O

I did a search and checked the prices for some of the previously sold I6's.  I did find one that went to $27.99 that was sold by intelligator.


** expired/removed eBay auction **


But the rest of them that I found sold for around $10.  I noticed that one of the bidders bid particularly high on both of the auctions.  That guy definitely doesnt have much patience.  :roll:




Fioreddrale has bought a few items from me in the last couple weeks.  He paid fast, no problems at all.  That said, I have seen his name everywhere on Ebay the last few weeks and under no circumstance will he allow himself to get outbid.  It does not matter how high the price goes on an auction that he has decided to bid on, unless he has gotten sniped at the end, he has not allowed himself to lose, its almost like he has no ceiling price. :?  He bids as if it were the last time you will ever see this item for sale.



Lucyjoyce's comment about him being in the hospital above though kind of makes me wonder that perhaps maybe this is someone with a whole lot of money saved up and perhaps not a lot of time left on this earth.  Don't get me wrong, I am only specualting, but I am not sure I have seen someone who bids this high, this consistantly on so many common items.  I have seen some folks bid ridiculously high on some certain items before, even common ones that a simple search will reveal better condition items going on at the same time and going for the fraction of the price, however I am not sure if I have seen the likes of this guy yet.  

I mean even rich people have some sort of ceiling on thier bidding, a point where they look and say, thats enough, its just not even worth it to them at X price, I will move on to see if I can find the same item someplace else, but not this guy.  



This however has not happened with this guy yet and its been at least a good 3 or 4 weeks now at the same rate and he does not seem to be slowing down at all, even slightly.  It really makes me wonder if this guy isn't utterly insane, really really dumb or maybe just trying to get as much as possible while he still has the time to do it.  There really isn't much more of an explanation to it that makes any sense.


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche


Last edited by bclarkie on Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
  
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 58 of 111123 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 109110111