Interesting Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 53 of 114123 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 112113114
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:27 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:The seller has just informed me that there is a pink discoloration on several of the volumes.  He seems genuinely surprised by the bidding thus far, and admitted to having no idea as to the item's value.

Heh. Took long enough (a day or so) to answer my question, whereas the BIN question was answered immediately. No conspiracy theory, mind you.

Q:        Is there any staining/discoloration on the book covers (to the left of the pegasus for example), or is that just an artifact of the photo? Thank you.
A:        Yes, there is a bit of pink discoloration, I thought I had mentioned that in the listing....

deimos3428 wrote:Additional pictures:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/snocofitn ... .dir=/658a

Nice blotching there. :)
thx. ^^

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:16 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Nice Gamma World lot.  Seller misspelled Gamma.  :roll:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Seller also has a few other decent lots up.

Do you guys think I should be concerned about the current high-bidder (snorkoc)?

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:25 pm 

grodog wrote:Do you guys think I should be concerned about the current high-bidder (snorkoc)?

I dunno, but with a seller at 17 and high bidder at zero, I'm out. :/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:50 pm 

grodog wrote:
Kingofpain89 wrote:Nice Gamma World lot.  Seller misspelled Gamma.  :roll:

Seller also has a few other decent lots up.

Do you guys think I should be concerned about the current high-bidder (snorkoc)?

Probably not Gro . . . here is snorkoc's current bid list:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V ... =0&rows=25

Seems like a newbie who just discovered ebay.  Of course, you should be concerned about him constantly bidding you up in a fever of ebay excitement!   :D

But . . .

If . . .

You . . .

Would . . .

Give In . . .

and  . . . snipe . . .

. . .  It might help the situation.  :D

(Hint:  snorkoc only bids in even dollar amounts - usually ending on the $5 or $10 increment.  I'd be willing to wager his max is either $45 or $50.  Just bid the minimum one time and if his max is $45, it will register at the high bid.  If it is $50, it will go up to $45.45.  Then set your snipe for either $50.01 or $46.00.)

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:52 pm 

Might want to reconsider the rarity of a Woodgrain set. Another one is up now....zero feedback seller though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dungeons-and-Dragon ... dZViewItem

Maybe buy this one for the books and the other one with the nicer box for the box....keep the best of both and sell the other.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:59 pm 

Marlith wrote:Might want to reconsider the rarity of a Woodgrain set. Another one is up now....zero feedback seller though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0002970557

:D

Dare I suggest (again) that the printing figures are out of kilter?

(Setting aside that the OD&D page had been updated without comment ;))

Further research still required, but...

1st still seems to be falling out roughly 1:2 early:later with the added complication of the U&WA. (500+1000(+)?) - sold (from source) March/April? 74- Aug/Sep?? 74 (early), Aug/Sep?? 74- Feb 75? (late), with variant U&WA into period for 2nd and hybrid issue per 2nd, below

2nd feels scarce (1000?) - sold Feb-June 75? (hybrids with late 1st M&M/M&T)

3rd is common (3000/3300?) - sold June 75- Dec 75? (poss. some later)

With regards the set in the auction above, 2nd GH (*g*) and 1st BLK (maybe Rob or EGG will recall whether this did actually make it out for Christmas 75) is interesting, especially if the 3rd M&M has the dice-price correction in the stock list (still only one copy known).

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:02 pm 

faro wrote:
Marlith wrote:Might want to reconsider the rarity of a Woodgrain set. Another one is up now....zero feedback seller though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0002970557

1st still seems to be falling out roughly 1:2 early:later with the added complication of the U&WA. (500+1000(+)?) - sold (from source) March/April 74-Aug/Sep?? 74 (early), Aug/Sep?? 74- Feb 75? (late), with variant U&WA into period for 2nd and hybrid issue per 2nd, below
2nd feels scarce (1000?) - sold Feb-June 75? (hybrids with late 1st M&M/M&T)
3rd is common (3000/3300?) - sold June 75- Dec 75?

With regards the set in the auction above, 2nd GH (*g*) and 1st BLK (maybe Rob or EGG will recall whether this did actually make it out for Christmas 75) is interesting, especially if the 3rd M&M has the dice-price correction in the stock list (still only one copy known).

Meant that more as a joke. They are crawling out of the ....wait for it....woodwork now  :lol: Woodgrain...woodwork.....I slay myself  :oops:

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:04 pm 

Marlith wrote:Maybe buy this one for the books

"volumes 1, 2, and 3 have been hi-lighted throughout"

Maybe not...

Y'could take off the covers, though, and hope the staples line up! ^^

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:08 pm 

faro wrote:
Marlith wrote:Maybe buy this one for the books

"volumes 1, 2, and 3 have been hi-lighted throughout"

Maybe not...

Y'could take off the covers, though, and hope the staples line up! ^^

Did not catch that...I sometimes skip the midlle parts of closely spaced auction text  :cry:

Did they even have highlighters back then? I was thinking that was an 80's invention.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:34 pm 

faro wrote:

1st still seems to be falling out roughly 1:2 early:later with the added complication of the U&WA. (500+1000(+)?) - sold (from source) March/April? 74- Aug/Sep?? 74 (early), Aug/Sep?? 74- Feb 75? (late), with variant U&WA into period for 2nd and hybrid issue per 2nd, below

Are you sure?  I thought that there was some doubt on your variant print runs idea (i.e, from Frank M.)

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:15 pm 

red_bus wrote:Are you sure?  I thought that there was some considerable doubt on your variant print runs idea (i.e, from Frank M.)

(Covers, not text pages...).

No, I'm not 100% sure; just 80-90%.
I've never seen an "early" release set with the variant (2nd print cover setting) U&WA, the only set dateable to early 74 is an "early" (Arneson & EGG could help on that, of course!) and most/all(?) of the "early" sets appear to be missing the correction sheet even if the ref sheets are pristine (ditto on that latest "2 volume" set I picked up).

Yes, the dull vs. bright R/G/B title covers /could/ have been printed at the same time, but those differences are present and there also appears to be a consistency in the book sizes (the "early" releases, being fractionally larger, need more shoe-horning to fit into an average box and a reduction in height for the next batch released makes sense in that context).

There's nothing along those lines apparent with the true 2nd print which bears all the hallmarks of being a single release (boring, boring, boring... :))

Sample size (for 1sts) is still only ~20, of course, but I'm trying to work from what physical evidence there is rather than just take all received information as being 100% factual.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:33 pm 

Fair 'nuff.  I haven't seen 1st with correction sheets - although I haven't a sample size of 20 ( 8O ). Without being a printer it is hard to say what variations in cover size or trim are likely in one printing or if (as might also be likely) several printings were done but still delivered in one batch.

Having said all that I am keen on a third print with a nice box...

It was on a dreary night of November that I beheld the accomplishment of my toils. With an anxiety that almost amounted to agony, I collected the instruments of life around me, that I might infuse a spark of being into the lifeless thing that lay at my feet. It was already one in the morning; the rain pattered dismally against the panes, and my candle was nearly burnt out, when, by the glimmer of the half-extinguished light, I saw the dull yellow eye of the creature open; it breathed hard, and a convulsive motion agitated its limbs.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:41 pm 

red_bus wrote:Fair 'nuff.  I haven't seen 1st with correction sheets

There have been "late" 1sts, especially those with the variant (2nd print setting cover) U&WA, with the correction sheet present.
Need to work on trust that none of those was cobbled together later, but some are certainly original.

red_bus wrote:- although I haven't a sample size of 20 ( 8O ). Without being a printer it is hard to say what variations in cover size or trim are likely in one printing or if (as might also be likely) several printings were done but still delivered in one batch.

*nods*
If it wasn't for the differences in R/G/B color that appear to go along with those differences in size, I wouldn't be anything like as "sure".

red_bus wrote:Having said all that I am keen on a third print with a nice box...

I can already see Frankenstein's monster lurching forth from your eBay page!

That's what I get for letting that last auction go "cheap", I guess, thinking that a collector without a woodgrain was going to nab it.
Darned bad auction to drop a WoM onto... :?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:52 pm 

Monster & Treasure Assortment Set 2 in shrinkwrap....

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:49 am 

Looks like the guy shrinkwraps the stuff before he sells it. Do fall into the trap of thinking you're buying something new.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:37 am 

Maybe buy this one for the books and the other one with the nicer box for the box....keep the best of both and sell the other.

It's hard to trust a zero with that handle.  Hung-out since 03' & first sale is this.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:06 am 

Beyondthebreach wrote:
grodog wrote:Do you guys think I should be concerned about the current high-bidder (snorkoc)?

Probably not Gro . . . here is snorkoc's current bid list:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V ... =0&rows=25

Seems like a newbie who just discovered ebay.  Of course, you should be concerned about him constantly bidding you up in a fever of ebay excitement!   :D

But . . .

If . . .

You . . .

Would . . .

Give In . . .

and  . . . snipe . . .

. . .  It might help the situation.  :D

LOL, too true Paul.  Perhaps I'll try nev's auctionsieve sometime (is it good?).

Beyondthebreach wrote:(Hint:  snorkoc only bids in even dollar amounts - usually ending on the $5 or $10 increment.  I'd be willing to wager his max is either $45 or $50.  Just bid the minimum one time and if his max is $45, it will register at the high bid.  If it is $50, it will go up to $45.45.  Then set your snipe for either $50.01 or $46.00.)

Got too rich for me, for just a big GW lot :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:36 am 

The North box set.  3 days, 5 hrs.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 53 of 114123 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 112113114