Interesting Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 18 of 103123 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 101102103
Author

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3155
Joined: Nov 21, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 05, 2016
Location: UK

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:06 pm 
 

deimos3428 wrote:Yep, 5ths have been exploding in value

I hold you personally accountable for that phrasing, Deimos!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8798907523 (finished earlier today)

deimos3428 wrote:$150 for that condition would be a bargain.  It seems they are trying to stay about 120-150% higher than OCEs.  5ths in the UK do better than in the US, for some reason I can't explain.  :?


Hush 'bout that $150 quote, please! I'm still hoping... :?



Heh. But yes, we'd noted that UK/US split $-wise back in 2004 in that other OCE thread of your's, remember. The date difference between the two countries for involvement in the hobby plays a part in that, I think. Demand/availability ratio is better over here for white-box sellers in general, too.



"120-150% higher"? I'm really not sure about that. What have you been tracking? :)

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:30 pm 
 

faro wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:Yep, 5ths have been exploding in value

I hold you personally accountable for that phrasing, Deimos!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8798907523 (finished earlier today)

Yep, saw that one and thought about it, but I already have the books and the box was trashed.  Aw well, let someone get one cheap now and then.  That one would have gone for more, but it's value had already exploded and taken the box with it.

faro wrote:"120-150% higher"? I'm really not sure about that. What have you been tracking? :)


I just made that up, but I don't think it's that far off.  I stopped trackin' em months ago, to be honest.  :wink:  Though I am on the lookout for 4ths...

 YIM  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3155
Joined: Nov 21, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 05, 2016
Location: UK

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:02 pm 
 

deimos3428 wrote:Yep, saw that one and thought about it, but I already have the books and the box was trashed.  Aw well, let someone get one cheap now and then.  That one would have gone for more, but it's value had already exploded and taken the box with it.

*g*. OK; so why does the box have such a huge "value" ($75+) for a 5th OD&D and not much less for an OCE, yet a 1st Basic Box is deemed of minimal ($5?) value?

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:43 am 
 

faro wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:Yep, saw that one and thought about it, but I already have the books and the box was trashed.  Aw well, let someone get one cheap now and then.  That one would have gone for more, but it's value had already exploded and taken the box with it.

*g*. OK; so why does the box have such a huge "value" ($75+) for a 5th OD&D and not much less for an OCE, yet a 1st Basic Box is deemed of minimal ($5?) value?

I give up, David.  Why don't you tell me?  :roll:

 YIM  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3155
Joined: Nov 21, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 05, 2016
Location: UK

Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:01 am 
 

deimos3428 wrote:I give up, David.  Why don't you tell me?  :roll:

Hey, you said it was... in the latter case, anyhow; hence the question. ;)

As to why a white box should be worth more than the books inside, that's collectors for you.
Can't see why that should be quite so different from the likes of the 1st Basic Box (pre-dating the later OCEs), other than that the Basic Box is perhaps slightly less likely to have been trashed since purchase.

  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 656
Joined: Apr 12, 2004
Last Visit: Nov 28, 2020
Location: Perth, Australia

Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:47 am 
 

I suppose one answer would be (for those that display) that a clean no-taped box looks great on the shelf whereas a trashed box looks pretty RS to the casual observer. Doesn't matter how good the books inside are then, unless you actual want to show the insides to someone - heck the box could be empty for all the viewer knows.

I'd prefer for both to be V/Good+ and not worry about it - for both the original box and basic  :wink:

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3155
Joined: Nov 21, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 05, 2016
Location: UK

Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:02 am 
 

Hmm... the Basic Box shows wear a lot quicker, so would be easier to dismiss as not a "collectors item"; of lesser value in its own right, if not in very good nick?

Yeah, still thinking in the context of that recent sale: not that the price wasn't high, but the $wise split in the components (and also agreed w/Deimos that the stated est. over here for the 1st print Geo/1 set is "interesting", too ;))

Anyhow; from a display p.o.v., could just have chucked in a UK Basic F116R! :lol:

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3155
Joined: Nov 21, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 05, 2016
Location: UK

Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:19 am 
 

grubbiv wrote:Hey Mike,

the insanity is not going to end until I get what I'm looking for.
If you have a good condition 1st ed Boot Hill, you should sell it to me
for $150, then pick one up for yourself when they're going for
$60.  You'll make a killing.  Should be able to pick yourself up a nice
set of DragonLance modules with the difference.

*spots in passing*

1st print Boot Hill; $2 more than the Classic Warfare on the next post... :)
viewtopic.php?p=8679&highlight=#8679

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:29 pm 
 

faro wrote:Hmm... the Basic Box shows wear a lot quicker, so would be easier to dismiss as not a "collectors item"; of lesser value in its own right, if not in very good nick?

My working theory is that the "last piece to completion" holds the value, not any one particular piece.  In short, the sets are worth more than the sum of their parts.

In the Basic set auction, it lost value because it wasn't complete.  (If the rulebook were there and the box were absent, the price would be more or less the same.)  

In the case of the 5th OD&D set, it was technically complete.  It lost a lot of value on condition.  Sometimes the box appears to provide negative value on these sets, if it's trashed badly enough.  Sometimes it should be left out altogether.

 YIM  

User avatar

Verbose Collector

Posts: 1271
Joined: Jan 09, 2005
Last Visit: Nov 17, 2020
Location: Azeroth

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:05 am 
 

Fair sized lot...some boxed sets but a nice AC 5 sitting right on top of the lot...



http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1


Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3155
Joined: Nov 21, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 05, 2016
Location: UK

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:24 am 
 

Marlith wrote:Fair sized lot...some boxed sets but a nice AC 5 sitting right on top of the lot...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1


:) Nice spot, but it's the US version of CAPSLOCK cougar, I swear!

If that's not a contradiction in species locales...



UNTESTED AS IS... MEANS IT WAS NOT TESTED AND SOLD AS IS.... LEARN TO READ IDIOT Seller   gitbidn ( 1666) Apr-20-06 21:01 6048086621

DOES NOT PLAY WELL WITH OTHERS Seller   gitbidn ( 1666) Apr-20-06 21:01 7230808120



I know I bought these soap dispensers AS IS but not one of the 6 worked Buyer   jamsfm ( 401) Mar-21-06 14:39 4446070774

"UNTESTED & AS IS" MEANS ..WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU GET..A GAMBLE Seller   gitbidn ( 1666) Mar-31-06 19:26 4446070774



Seller "gitbid"... *chuckles*



Enjoy; but phps best to skip the q&a's and just pay up on the p&p. ;)

  


Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2884
Joined: Nov 04, 2004
Last Visit: May 09, 2020

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:40 am 
 

faro wrote:but it's the US version of CAPSLOCK cougar, I swear!

Capslock-Cougar would be a great eBay user ID. Of course, if I ever actually see it, I will run as if chased by a Call of Cthulhu monster ...

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:08 am 
 

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :B:SS:UK:1



interesting strange lot here - some junky stuff (computer games), but says there is a "divine right" in there....may be worth a question or two?



Al



  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:12 am 
 

someone might just wanna check this out - "could" be interesting:



http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :B:SS:UK:1



"QUEST FOR THE FAZZLE WOOD COPIED SHEETS (I BELIEVE THIS IS FOR AD&D) "



...... ?



Al



  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:49 am 
 

3E 73 book lot up for auction in the US...prb interesting to some maybe?



http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AD-D-dungeons-dra ... dZViewItem



no bids and due to finish in just over 3 hours....



Al



  

User avatar

Verbose Collector

Posts: 1271
Joined: Jan 09, 2005
Last Visit: Nov 17, 2020
Location: Azeroth

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:53 am 
 

killjoy32 wrote:3E 73 book lot up for auction in the US...prb interesting to some maybe?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AD-D-dungeons-dra ... dZViewItem

no bids and due to finish in just over 3 hours....

Al




Might have been ok but the shipping seems a little extreme. I am sure someone will bite on it though. If you like 3E and want to get into it all at once it seems like a good deal perhaps.


Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:48 am 
 

Marlith wrote:Might have been ok but the shipping seems a little extreme. I am sure someone will bite on it though. If you like 3E and want to get into it all at once it seems like a good deal perhaps.


well that was what i was kinda thinking, hence the post. but yeah i agree....postage indeed looks a little OTT.....

:)

Al



  

User avatar

Verbose Collector

Posts: 1271
Joined: Jan 09, 2005
Last Visit: Nov 17, 2020
Location: Azeroth

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:52 am 
 

killjoy32 wrote:
Marlith wrote:Might have been ok but the shipping seems a little extreme. I am sure someone will bite on it though. If you like 3E and want to get into it all at once it seems like a good deal perhaps.


well that was what i was kinda thinking, hence the post. but yeah i agree....postage indeed looks a little OTT.....

:)

Al


Still no takers.


Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:05 pm 
 

Marlith wrote:Still no takers.


guess it wasnt that interesting then eh :D



  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 636
Joined: Sep 14, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 16, 2009
Location: Montreal, Canada

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:06 pm 
 

Unopened Monster Cards 1-4:



http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8801664024

 WWW  
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 18 of 103123 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 101102103