Interesting Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 105 of 114123 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106 ... 112113114
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:13 pm 

dbartman wrote:I was merely stating that if he had any future lots to sell, list them here instead of eBay.

I doubt that will happen now with all of the negative comments regarding the auctions being taken down.  :(

But if the guy is in desperate need for money then he did what was in his best interest and I won't fault anyone for doing that.  I just dislike seeing auctions being ended for a private sale after people have already bid on them.  If no one had bid on them then to me it is no big deal.

Plenty more copies of Nanorien Stones out there Al.  :wink:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:23 pm 

Funny enough, since this has been claimed to be all about the need for immediate cash as to having taken the auctions down yet all the auctions were listed as 10 day auctions.  :?

Additionally, every single one of the posted auctions had this exact same phrase in the listing:

james.sinks wrote:I'm still looking for a handful of RPG titles (the Companions' Cards of Power, Places of Mystery 2-4, Fantasy Furnishings, and Mayfair's Demons, Demons II, Sentinels, and I believe there was a Demons novel too). I will give you credit (or buy outright) any of those titles, if you've got complete copies in reasonable condition.

Kind of odd to me that someone in such dire need of cash ASAP is still open to trading or providing credit towards the items listed................

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:25 pm 

bombadil wrote:
Since the seller stated they are/were active here based on their posting activity, it sounds like the person's ebay id and acaeum id must be the same.  Otherwise, how would they connect the two?

I don't think that his comment about them being active on the Acaeum is related to his posting activity.  I believe that his comment was geared towards credit on the site for contributions to the material listed.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:27 pm 

Nice work as usual, Brian.  
I nominate bclarkie to replace purpledragon as the forum detective.   :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:32 pm 

jamessinks wrote:
And at no point did I deny greed was my motivator.  I need money, and you're damned right I'd try to hustle another deal (from an unsolicited offer that was designed specifically to grab my greed by the balls) with a that's hundreds of dollars more than the first offer.

I never made an offer.  I told you that I was planning on bidding that much in total.  The reason for my email to you was two-fold:

1) To Protect you the seller.  See, I don't know who you are as I was not active on frp.games back in the day so I wanted to make sure that you were aware of the true value of the items that you were selling in the case that you weren't.

2) To help this community out because of the fact that many of the members here are not only friends of mine but also the fact that they now had lost the opportunity to get their hands on some of these items because of the private offer, which most likely is going to end up costing you money in the end.

As you should note, my note to you about $5,000 is a number that I pulled off the top of my head without doing all the math as to what each item I thought would go for, but if you'll notice at least 2 other people here belive that the net of your auctions may very well have gone over $3000 at least and one other person stated that $5000 may have been a possibility.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:43 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Funny enough, since this has been claimed to be all about the need for imediate cash as tpo having taken the auctions down yet all the auctions were listed as 10 day auctions.  :?

I've sold on ebay before, and 10 day auctions will net more than 7 day auctions.  It's that greed again.  Me scrabbling for cash, you know.

And I don't see anything odd asking for a couple items in trade or buying them with the proceeds of the auction.  After all, the rest of the money from my collection (everything except a handful of TSR supplements I used, the Companions, and the Demons series is being sold) is going straight down the crapper and I wanted there to be at least a small silver lining to this cloud.

You disapprove of me taking down my auctions to sell things privately, fine, no problem.  You lie about your own intentions to bid on my auctions, making a thinly veiled offer that you knew I would jump at, that's not fine, and that is a problem.

And what's even worse is that you're treating this whole thing like it's some kinda "gotcha!" game.  I don't think this is fun at all.

And to top it all off, you weren't the only one.  The guy who flat out offered $500 for Roan Hart, and then admitted publicly, in this very thread, that he had no intention of buying at that price is just a dick.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:53 pm 

jamessinks wrote:
You disapprove of me taking down my auctions to sell things privately, fine, no problem.  You lie about your own intentions to bid on my auctions, making a thinly veiled offer that you knew I would jump at, that's not fine, and that is a problem..

I didn't lie, period.  If those auctions stayed up, there is no doubt about it that I would have bid.  Maybe not to the tune of $5,000, but certainly a lot.

jamessinks wrote:And what's even worse is that you're treating this whole thing like it's some kinda "gotcha!" game.  I don't think this is fun at all..

Your right, this isn't a game.  I have seen many a seller get porked by what was a seemingly an overwhelming private offer which actually did not end up being the case and lost out on a lot of cash because of it.  You most likely have now also fallen into this trap.  Since it doesn't seem that you have been very active in the collecting aspect of this recently let me give you a little hint, Non-TSR items are going throught the roof right now value wise.   This is the case in part because of the fact that two folks in particular have been going toe to toe on a lot of these Non-TSR items driving the prices sky high.  One of these two bidders is the one that you have agreed to sell privately to, I guarentee it.  I seriously doubt that he/she really cares about your cash flow problems at the time and made the private offer to save themselves a lot of money by doing it and not out of the goodness of thier own heart....

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:15 pm 

jamessinks wrote:I don't think this is fun at all.

bclarkie wrote:Your right, this isn't a game.

[begin sermon]

Taken together, these two statements are pretty much why I'm logging into The Acaeum about once every 20 days now. Well, that and the whole "eBay sucks ... oh, wait, I have to go now and post 75 things on eBay" attitude.

Say what you want about the seller here — and it does sound like there's some legitimate concerns in that regard — but be sure to look into the mirror before you do. There is so much "my precious" bullshit here lately (both overt and reading between the lines) from I-gotta-have-it buyers that the entire Acaeum experience is hardly worth the effort any longer. Shouldn't talking about a 30-year-old game with funny dice and scary monsters be ... I don't know ... more fun?

I realize that this is a collecting-oriented site and that money does change hands; I'm not completely naive. But, all due respect and all that: a lot of folks here have some problems with perspective.

[/end sermon]

+++++

(And, for the record, my intent is not to single anyone out; the two posts I quoted above are just being used as a convenient jumping-off point. And, yes, I'm bending them slightly out of context, but not too horribly, I think)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:43 pm 

I am indeed a dick. Most people here would agree. Heck, my middle name is Richard!
But I have never stiffed anyone, I don't end bidded auctions early, and I have been known to sell items WAY below value to collectors. I've GIVEN away more stuff than I can recall. And a large number of the good folk here are the same. Could I use an extra $100? Of course. Would I resort to devious methods to get it? No. My rep as a collector is more important to me, and I prefer to see my rarer items go to someone who will enjoy them. If I get a bit less because of it, I really don't give a rat's ass. I still sleep well at night, ethics intact.
Had you done a tad of research, you would have found that most collectors here can sympathize with a cash need, and would have paid some pretty high prices. In fact, I'm sure there are a few who will STILL buy your stuff. In the long run, however, you porked yourself a bit by trying to pass yourself off as cash strapped, but willing to "trade" items. For all we know, you spent the last week at Kinko's copying rare items and intending to offer them up. Certainly a viable possibility considering the weirdness of accepting partial trades. And the crap about not knowing the value of your items is just that, crap.
Bclarkie is the king of "gotcha", he has more attention to detail and deductive reasoning than anyone here. So at least you can say you were nailed by the best.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:47 pm 

Forgot to add, you might have been offended by the "James Stinks" appellation. If so......... too bad. I do it to everyone, myself included.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:59 pm 

bclarkie should become a private detective, he certainly has the skills for it.

What is you main profession anyway bclarkie?

Not to pry, just curious :D

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:03 pm 

Most of the time I log on to the forum just to chuckle at the latest "Bitchslap" humor from Deadlord and the detective work from bclarkie. Both have save me alot of money (indirectly) and give me a new perspective/insight on life.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:00 pm 

I can see that it's pretty pointless dealing with this thread any more.  It seems like the response here is wildly out of proportion with my actions--this forum nothing at all like I'd thought it would be when I found it (due to bclarkie, ironically enough).  This is probably wild paranoia, but it seems like you guys are just pulling my tail to see if I'll screech.  Yes, I will.

I do have a couple final comments though:

Bclarkie, I may have read more into your email to me than you intended, but saying you would have bid more than $5000 on the auctions seemed like an offer to me.  It still does, actually.  I apologise for that misinterpretation.

Dreadlord has an odd definition of ethics--given his false offer for Roan Hart.  What was the point of that, really?

What has bclarkie's "gotcha" turned up?  Absolutely nothing, except that I wanted a handful of supplements.  Dig into my feedback and look at some of my lovely compulsive purchases.  Watch ebay, because once the games are gone, the records will follow (though first via set-sale).  Then the magazines.  Then the DVDs.  Then the CDs.

And for dreadlord's suggestion that I was gonna go to kinko's and rip everyone off, where the hell did that come from?  Honestly, how on earth would I ever get away with something like that, especially seeing as I posted pictures of everything I listed on ebay?  Hell, how on earth would anyone pass a modern photocopy off for a vintage offset item?  I'm desperate for money and I was willing to hustle a new deal (with a 105% refund to the first buyer), but I'm not a damned thief.

Lastly, is there anyone here who I've lied to or ripped off?  Step forward now, please.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:35 pm 

VermilionFire wrote:Well, since the James Sinks auctions went bust, perhaps you guys  may be interested in a Gygax Classic Warface in the shrink, non-TSR rarity Alchemist's Abode...

** expired/removed eBay auction **

high bidder?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:00 pm 

others no longer available. still live when last looked at

and more

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:41 pm 

Stinks, you're not getting it...

1. The false offer was to see if you had pulled the auctions for a private sale.

2. I mentioned the POSSIBILITY of photocopies.

3. Bclarkie would never pay that much for your stuff.

4. You've already shown your colors. There's really no need, or purpose, in defending yourself. If you hadn't posted here, you'd have been forgotten in a week.

5. What DID you expect from this forum? Did you think that a handful of rare items and credit on a defunct research page made you a demigod of the collecting world? We are actually relatively friendly and knowledgeable folks, who are put off by profiteers, PDF sellers and the like.

Sooooooooooo.................. since we all have a good idea of who you are doing your off-eBaying with, maybe you should stick to that. Less hassle, and less harassment. I honestly didn't really give a shit WHAT you did, until you came here trying to defend yourself and treating us like idiots. It is an insult to everyone here that you thought your bullshit would fly. We're WAY too smart and perceptive for that. Well, the other guys are.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:54 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:We're WAY too smart and perceptive for that. Well, the other guys are.

I'll second that...the other guys are way to smart for that.  Me, I had no clue, but there's no news in that.  Just trying to keep up, as usual.

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:01 pm 

The Compleat Tavern...20hrs left

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 105 of 114123 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106 ... 112113114