Interesting Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 104 of 114123 ... 101, 102, 103, 104, 105 ... 112113114
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:10 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Actually, he had several offers. I offered him $500 for Roan Heart just to see what he'd say (obviously not worth nearly that much) and:

Thank you for the offer--I will get back to you Monday or Tuesday.

I was completely unprepared for the kind of offers I have been
getting for these items, and I have to consider my options.

James

So, it seems there are several off-eBayers. Par for the course.

Well, I plead guilty to an extent.  My original email to him stated that I was planning on putting in bids in excess of $5000 and I was disappointed that he shut his auctions down. This of course was also was over the top, but I did it for the same reasons that you did, to gauge his reaction.  He emailed me back almost immediately asking if I was willing to go off Ebay at that price. :roll:  I obviously declined, and indicated that if he put everything back up on Ebay, I would bid on them there.  He then asked me if he listed everything there under a BIN of $5k, would I take it then.  I declined that as well and indicated I would only bid if he relisted all the individual auctions like they were before.  We emailed back and forth a couple of times within about a 1 hour span where he did confirm for me some generalities for me:  1) Was that he did in fact take them down based on a private offer 2) The private offer was considerably less than $5k and 3) Dorect from him:  "I can't tell you that, sorry, but they are active on the Acaeum (or at least listed on several pages as providing information), so it'll probably come out eventually".

I am fairly certain that I know who is behind the original private offer, but without 100% proof, I wont actually post a name.  I will say that I my above post is a pretty good hint as to who I believe is behind it.  I will also say this, this private offer stuff is starting to get a bit on the ridiculous side.  I mean every once in awhile is okay for an item that doesn't have any bids on it, but come on now, 67 individually already listed auctions, almost a full day after the auctions have been listed already that has been posted in this thread WITH BIDS ALREADY ON THEM??? I am sorry, that is f**kin' BS.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:27 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Well, I plead guilty to an extent.  My original email to him stated that I was planning on putting in bids in excess of $5000 and I was disappointed that he shut his auctions down. This of course was also was over the top, but I did it for the same reasons that you did, to gauge his reaction.  He emailed me back almost immediately asking if I was willing to go off Ebay at that price. :roll:  I obviously declined, and indicated that if he put everything back up on Ebay, I would bid on them there.  He then asked me if he listed everything there under a BIN of $5k, would I take it then.  I declined that as well and indicated I would only bid if he relisted all the individual auctions like they were before.  We emailed back and forth a couple of times within about a 1 hour span where he did confirm for me some generalities for me:  1) Was that he did in fact take them down based on a private offer 2) The private offer was considerably less than $5k and 3) Dorect from him:  "I can't tell you that, sorry, but they are active on the Acaeum (or at least listed on several pages as providing information), so it'll probably come out eventually".

I am fairly certain that I know who is behind the original private offer, but without 100% proof, I wont actually post a name.  I will say that I my above post is a pretty good hint as to who I believe is behind it.  I will also say this, this private offer stuff is starting to get a bit on the ridiculous side.  I mean every once in awhile is okay for an item that doesn't have any bids on it, but come on now, 67 individually already listed auctions, almost a full day after the auctions have been listed already that has been posted in this thread WITH BIDS ALREADY ON THEM??? I am sorry, that is f**kin' BS.

Some pretty cool stuff in his lot of auctions.  I can safely say that I would have bid some pretty good dollars on many of his items.  

Sometimes I can be a pretty selfish guy when it comes to getting collectables that I want, this time I missed the boat.  Honestly though I have not made a private offer on Ebay stuff with bids on it for a few years now.  If it has no bids then no problem.

Shame though, many of the items rarely come up on Ebay and if he had left them up for auction he may have even got $5000. 8O

Oh well, still searching :D

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:46 pm 

I think the Adversary Games items: Red Book of Nal, Sword & Shield and Asphodel Inn were the gems of the lot and would have been willing to set a personal high bid on that one.  I have never seen those up for auction before and the only mention of them anywhere seems to be on Afterglow which gives Sinks as the reference.  

Does anyone here have a copy of those or are those the only known copies?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:16 am 

bclarkie wrote:

Drat, I wanted to see what a bunch of that went for, especially the few oddball items he has that I also have and might want to sell someday....always good to see what they get on the open market.  

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:25 am 

Which oddball items do you have Mike??  Inquiring minds want to know!  I also wanted to see what Wee Warriors Labyrinthine was going to go for.  I have an uncut copy that I have thought about selling for a long time but really don't know what to ask for it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:48 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Well that just plain sucks.  As many frickin' people that were bidding on his items you think he would have left well enough alone.  Guess I will have to wait a bit longer for that Nanorien Stones.  :x

you and me both chummer. thats the last one i need for my role aid stuff.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:49 am 

bclarkie wrote:
Well, I can confirm that it is going to someone here, or at least someone who used to be here. :roll:

yes i know who that is too.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:56 am 

Mars wrote:Which oddball items do you have Mike??  Inquiring minds want to know!  I also wanted to see what Wee Warriors Labyrinthine was going to go for.  I have an uncut copy that I have thought about selling for a long time but really don't know what to ask for it.

well i bid on all the wee warriors items and a number of others and would have gone a fair bit too.

s'funny these kinda things as there were clearly a lot o guys here who were willing to weigh in with bids on that stuff. i really do think he would have gotten a lot more for them if he would have left them there, but to each their own.

i do think its wrong though that you take them down after bids are on them - seems bad form imo, but hey, its up to the guy in the end - he was happy to do that and get what he was offered for them.

still think he short-changed himself though.

one thing i dont like though. he had clearly accepted a previous private offer and was then offering it to ppl offering higher prices. that aint right either.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:24 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
still think he short-changed himself though.

one thing i dont like though. he had clearly accepted a previous private offer and was then offering it to ppl offering higher prices. that aint right either.

Al

Sometimes it is just easier to get it all done in one go - especially if you need the money.  As to accepting other offers after he had taken it all down - well, once you cancel all your auctions (pi**ing off a lot of people), I suppose all bets are off - so bclarkie did the right thing by immediately making a counter offer.

As to who is the Iago of this piece - well, what we know is, it is someone who; (a) can afford to make a substantial offer, (b) has posted here a fair amount in the past, (c) has shown an ability to spot stuff early enough to get in with an offer.  We might also speculate that they also; (d) have a track record of buying a wide range of rare/older items, (e) when they did post here - were quite aggressive at sniping stuff/keeping items on ebay under wraps.

Not that many candidates...

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:31 am 

killjoy32 wrote:one thing i dont like though. he had clearly accepted a previous private offer and was then offering it to ppl offering higher prices. that aint right either.

Al

Agreed there. Accepting a private offer is something i can see, although it's kinda crappy. Still, it's his stuff, so if he can get what he wants for it off eBay, then I don't begrudge him that.

Taking counter-offers after accepting the mystery-person's bid though.. bleh.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:07 am 

GraysonAC wrote:Taking counter-offers after accepting the mystery-person's bid though.. bleh.

Sudden onset poverty sucks.  Big time.  And $5000 was more than the other offer by a nice margin.  Money I need, honor and dignity I can do without for a while.

I have to say I find the profusion of false offers to be kinda disturbing.  That first lot is now sold, so don't bother emailing me with ridiculous offers for any of it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:03 am 

bclarkie wrote:I am fairly certain that I know who is behind the original private offer, but without 100% proof, I wont actually post a name.  I will say that I my above post is a pretty good hint as to who I believe is behind it.

Since the seller stated they are/were active here based on their posting activity, it sounds like the person's ebay id and acaeum id must be the same.  Otherwise, how would they connect the two?

Let mirth prevail!

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:07 am 

jamessinks wrote:
Sudden onset poverty sucks.  Big time.  And $5000 was more than the other offer by a nice margin.  Money I need, honor and dignity I can do without for a while.

I have to say I find the profusion of false offers to be kinda disturbing.  That first lot is now sold, so don't bother emailing me with ridiculous offers for any of it.

Don't take it personally; it's just part of the game.  Hope you work out your cash issues.  I do believe you could have made out better if you kept them up, but, I can understand not wanting to go through the hassle.

So you have more to lots to go?  If so, you could consider "auctioning" them off here under the classifieds.  That seems to work out well for some.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:22 am 

Well, since the James Sinks auctions went bust, perhaps you guys  may be interested in a Gygax Classic Warface in the shrink, non-TSR rarity Alchemist's Abode, a full set of Little Wars magazines, Handbook of Arcane Artifacts and more ending in less than 9 hours...  :D

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:22 am 

This whole fiasco sucks.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:34 am 

I imagine some people won't even bother bidding on James Stinks eBay auctions anymore. What is the point, if the things are subject to be taken down?
This can probably be filed under the Greed category. Seems to be the general trend for about a year now.
What I find a bit amusing is the off-eBay auctioning. If you take down an auction for a private offer, that is one thing, but to run a private auction after the fact is not only snakeish, it could get him banned from eBay.
The "down on my luck" sob story seems to be a recurring theme as well. Easier to just admit to wanting to cash in on the high RPG prices.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:47 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:James Stinks

Low blow, buddy.  Low blow.

And at no point did I deny greed was my motivator.  I need money, and you're damned right I'd try to hustle another deal (from an unsolicited offer that was designed specifically to grab my greed by the balls) with a that's hundreds of dollars more than the first offer.

If the rest of my collection appears on ebay (big if), the auctions will run to the end, come hell or high water.  As someone else said, this entire fiasco stinks to high heaven.

And I thought record collectors were bad.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:49 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:I imagine some people won't even bother bidding on James Stinks eBay auctions anymore. What is the point, if the things are subject to be taken down?
This can probably be filed under the Greed category. Seems to be the general trend for about a year now.
What I find a bit amusing is the off-eBay auctioning. If you take down an auction for a private offer, that is one thing, but to run a private auction after the fact is not only snakeish, it could get him banned from eBay.
The "down on my luck" sob story seems to be a recurring theme as well. Easier to just admit to wanting to cash in on the high RPG prices.

I agree, it wasn't the right thing to do.  I would have bid a bit for some of those items and was upset to see them come down too.

But, with respect to off-eBay auctioning, I certainly would not condone running one after listing the items on eBay.  I was merely stating that if he had any future lots to sell, list them here instead of eBay.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 104 of 114123 ... 101, 102, 103, 104, 105 ... 112113114