Forgotten Realms - Your opinions wanted
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:25 pm 

Let's not forget Bukaki and Watdafuk, the twin Brown Wizards.
Part of the reason I was never huge on FR was the fact that there were so MANY 500th level NPC's to deal with. Running into a 12th+ level character should be a rare occasion. If you read the average FR module, even the town cobbler is a 5th level mage.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:56 pm 

carl3369 wrote:FWIW the Forgotten Realms is my absolute favourite setting. I love the depth of it, the sheer volume of information available beggars belief.

Carl

Now, you see, that is the problem...

There is so much to collect that I have no intention of trying.  There is too much detail.

I think there is little discussion of Forgotten Realms on the Acaeum because of the age of the members.  Younger guys might have fonder memories of Waterdeep...or whatever it is called.

One thing I do not understand about various settings is how the actions of a few individuals is supposed to be known across an entire continent.  Who would really know about characters like Tenser or Mordenkain or the like?  

For me, the idea of powerful individuals who have it so much more together than the PC's is anathema.  (This is one of the things that wrecked Shadowrun for me when it was run by a GM who really thought he was supposed to make us all feel small by having Harlequin sneer at us.)  In my own campaigns, these people are always off stage and when they do (very rarely) appear it almost always turns out that their reputation is larger than their true selves.

A Gang of Five or Circle of Eight, or whatever, who dominate the news on an entire continent, is really boring.  It is about as interesting and memorable as The Lord of the Rings would have been if Gandalf, Elrond, Galadriel, Celeborn and Glorfindel would have formed an uber-party and flown on giant eagles to Mordor to flatten Barad Dur...possibly with Saruman along to play the part of tormented turncoat.

This is superheroes role-playing, not fantasy.

Um...and....right....Forgotten Realms....right.  I own a couple of copies but I would never use it.  Get real.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:06 am 

To be fair, 1st Ed. Realms is better than 2nd Ed. Realms.  That whole "god-war" thing messed it all up.  I don't know what they were thinkin'.  :roll:

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:17 am 

deimos3428 wrote:To be fair, 1st Ed. Realms is better than 2nd Ed. Realms.  That whole "god-war" thing messed it all up.  I don't know what they were thinkin'.  :roll:

I agree. The Time of Troubles forcibly removed the three "evil" gods in favor of a single one, Cyric, who later turned out to be a fool.

One of the (few) merits of 3rd edition is to have recovered Bane from the grave.