Titan Games needs YOUR help
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:39 am 

guerret wrote:Actually, Vikings sailed from Norway and reached Labrador. I think their comment was something like "geez, this place sucks even worse than ours!" and went back, leaving the merit of the discovery to Colombo centuries later.

And, a pedantic note on Vikings in North America:

The prevailing thought is that they sailed to North America in the 11th century and set up outposts...possibly scattered across the Canadian coast and even into New England.

Unfortunately, this was during a warm spell that lasted several centuries and made the High Middle Ages possible (bumper crops in Europe allow for high populations and urban societies).  When the cold returned in the 14th century the outposts in North America died out along with the Greenland settlements.

That, and the presence of powerful tribes of aborigines, probably kept the Norsemen from ever really taking root in North America.

I wonder how history would be different if the outposts had remained in use and the Black Plague had crossed from Europe to North America 200 years before Columbus.

Anyway... FWIW ....hey, aren't there some Warhammer books for sale?

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:44 pm 

Bloody Vikings.

:wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:10 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:
red_bus wrote:
guerret wrote:Actually, Vikings sailed from Norway and reached Labrador. I think their comment was something like "geez, this place sucks even worse than ours!" and went back, leaving the merit of the discovery to Colombo centuries later.

You see - he always gets the result in the end...  even when you think he is on the wrong track...  :D

guerret:

In case you are mystified by the above statement...Columbo was the name of a popular fictional detective show from the 1970's.  I can only imagine what actor Peter Faulk sounds like when translated into Italian:

"Eh...uno moro thingo...whereah wero youo whenah the murderah happendah?"    :lol:  :lol:   (Hows my Italian?)

Mark   8)

I know and like Colombo by Peter Falk (he is very well known in Italy). However, the guy you call Columbus happens to hail from Genova (although some Spaniards claim him for their own), so his name is Cristoforo Colombo.

BTW, I think that when you took Italian lessons, you were cheated.  :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:17 pm 

guerret wrote:I know and like Colombo by Peter Falk (he is very well known in Italy). However, the guy you call Columbus happens to hail from Genova (although some Spaniards claim him for their own), so his name is Cristoforo Colombo.

BTW, I think that when you took Italian lessons, you were cheated.  :)

Colombo... Columdus... Its all Greek to me.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:33 pm 

My friends, if the Vikings had wanted to settle permanently in North America, they would have.  

As for their disappearance from Greenland, I think that might have had more to do with their food stores being decimated by an unusual oubreak of the larvae of the moth Eurois occulta than with the shift to a cooler climate.  Of course, we're dealing with correlations, so it's hard to tell.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:05 pm 

At least it wasn't the Hare Krishnas.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:37 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:At least it wasn't the Hare Krishnas.

Now that would make a good movie....Hare Krishnas versus the Vikings.

It could be a short subject...kind of like Godzilla versus Bambi.

Mark  8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:41 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:
Tharizdun wrote:Missouri has two major cities. Kansas is the podunk State you're talking about. No offense here, just hoping nobody goes to KS (like I did) expecting anything major... The two States are kinda like a Greenland/Iceland situation.

I think bbarsh meant to type "Mississippi."   8)

Yes, I did mean Mississippi. I didn't even notice it until you guys pointed that out.

I spend some time in Kansas - Fort Riley to be exact. Only about a month, but long enough to see what Kansas was all about, or not!

Ole Miss and Alabama are pretty much equals, too.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:52 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:
Deadlord39 wrote:At least it wasn't the Hare Krishnas.

Now that would make a good movie....Hare Krishnas versus the Vikings.

It could be a short subject...kind of like Godzilla versus Bambi.

Mark  8)

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

My god, that's hilarious.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:54 pm 

a very short cartoon that was, quite funny.. LOL

Brette:)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:43 am 

Kind of like The Incredible Hulk vs. Richard Simmons.....

Bree-Yark!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:03 pm 

Kind of like The Incredible Hulk vs. Richard Simmons.....

But can't you visualize Richard Simmons confusing and then bringing the Hulk under his sway.  Then the Hulk would be exercising to Oldies right beside Richard.

Dam, that thought might give me a nightmare.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:11 pm 

Titan games was ripped off?
They have been ripping off international buyers for quite some time.
They sent me smashed up miniatures and overcharged me $18+ dollars on shipping to boot. I am sure they will be able to take the 14k out of their own scummy profits.

No tears here.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:06 pm 

My Grenadier Brass Dragon was only $6 to ship media mail. Yes, media mail, wrapped in brown paper. But that's why I only bid $7 on it, and $13 for one with the gem and altar, unpainted, is a steal. You can't get phuqed on shipping if you bid accordingly.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:20 pm 

I was shopping on Ebay.com (thats where I sell from) so the shipping shown was to the U.S. not to Canada. Within the U.S. the shipping would have been $8, a double the actual cost gouge but I would have been fine with it.

I even paid the $24 shipping bill (on 3.95 actual cost) and assumed they shipped priority. When my minis showed up 3+ weeks later and damaged to boot I hit the roof.

They offered me $3 back. What a bunch of scumbags. Maybe they can hire the thieves to work there.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:21 pm 

$24 shipping? That is a serious greasing. Did you at least get kissed afterwards?
Actual cost, man, actual cost.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:10 pm 

Quite frankly I couldn't sit for a week.
8O

I don't care about the actual cost, I am fine paying a bit extra. I know it takes time to package things I know envelopes, packing materials and auctions all cost money.

I don't like paying extra and then getting poorly packaged damaged goods. :(

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:02 pm 

Icar wrote:Quite frankly I couldn't sit for a week.
8O

I don't care about the actual cost, I am fine paying a bit extra. I know it takes time to package things I know envelopes, packing materials and auctions all cost money.

I don't like paying extra and then getting poorly packaged damaged goods. :(

This is a pet peeve of mine as well, its like many sellers love to sell the stuff but could give a crap if it arrives safely or promptly.  I would say about 30-40% of the stuff I buy online is shipped poorly!  On another note I have been burned so many times by sellers trying to rip off me on international shipping that when I get an overpriced shipping quote on an item I always reply with a comment like:  That shipping is not reasonable, please re-send the shipping quote!  Most times this scares away the would be rip-off guy and shipping gets reduced, sometimes up to 70%.  On antother note I would never ever buy a thing from Titan, with all the grief they have given other people I refuse to be added to the list.

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

PreviousNext