The Best of Intentions
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:34 pm 

No, I'm not talking about module IM3. I won this today:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

I have been looking for it for a while, with a precise idea in mind. I plan on taking the LP to some audio expert who can record its content in digital format. Has anyone done it already? I can then make the audio tracks available. Please note that I do this only out of preserving the content of the disc and for backup reasons, to make it available to people who are unable to play an LP or own a damaged disc.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:43 pm 

guerret wrote:No, I'm not talking about module IM3. I won this today:

I have been looking for it for a while, with a precise idea in mind. I plan on taking the LP to some audio expert who can record its content in digital format. Has anyone done it already? I can then make the audio tracks available. Please note that I do this only out of preserving the content of the disc and for backup reasons, to make it available to people who are unable to play an LP or own a damaged disc.

I'd advise against doing that for other than personal use.  (Perhaps you could get away with sending a "damaged" track to another owner of a copy of the original media).

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:58 pm 

I can only concur. It would be illegal. Besides, isn't this availabel on CD anyway?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:43 pm 

guerret wrote:No, I'm not talking about module IM3. I won this today:

It's easier now since they started making turntables with usb hookups, I just bought one the other day. You can record the LPs directly to wav files, which you then convert to MP3 files. I haven't tired it yet, but it looks pretty cool.  

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:51 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I can only concur. It would be illegal. Besides, isn't this availabel on CD anyway?

I don't think the content of the wnd edition First Quest boxed set is the same. Has anyone checked it?

Of course the availability of the tracks is meant for owners of the original record (plus, I would NOT make the text available, and honestly I don't believe anyone can be interested in the music alone), although I cannot completely police this issue.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:48 pm 

guerret wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:I can only concur. It would be illegal. Besides, isn't this availabel on CD anyway?

I don't think the content of the wnd edition First Quest boxed set is the same. Has anyone checked it?

Of course the availability of the tracks is meant for owners of the original record (plus, I would NOT make the text available, and honestly I don't believe anyone can be interested in the music alone), although I cannot completely police this issue.

You could always request license to do so, as well.  This third option is rarely explored, but I can't see why WotC would care, they're never going to re-release it.  They might even put it on their website as downloadable MP3s, and save you the trouble.  Nothing like media to make a website more interesting.  

(Of course they'd probably say "no" and send you a threatening letter, as companies tend not to think intelligently about these things.)

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:04 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:
guerret wrote:

You could always request license to do so, as well.  This third option is rarely explored, but I can't see why WotC would care, they're never going to re-release it.  They might even put it on their website as downloadable MP3s, and save you the trouble.  Nothing like media to make a website more interesting.  

(Of course they'd probably say "no" and send you a threatening letter, as companies tend not to think intelligently about these things.)

My money is on the big fat NO. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche