The Best of Intentions
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Author


Prolific Collector

Posts: 671
Joined: Dec 17, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 13, 2019
Location: Italy

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:34 pm 
 

No, I'm not talking about module IM3. I won this today:



http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1



I have been looking for it for a while, with a precise idea in mind. I plan on taking the LP to some audio expert who can record its content in digital format. Has anyone done it already? I can then make the audio tracks available. Please note that I do this only out of preserving the content of the disc and for backup reasons, to make it available to people who are unable to play an LP or own a damaged disc.

 ICQ  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:43 pm 
 

guerret wrote:No, I'm not talking about module IM3. I won this today:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

I have been looking for it for a while, with a precise idea in mind. I plan on taking the LP to some audio expert who can record its content in digital format. Has anyone done it already? I can then make the audio tracks available. Please note that I do this only out of preserving the content of the disc and for backup reasons, to make it available to people who are unable to play an LP or own a damaged disc.


I'd advise against doing that for other than personal use.  (Perhaps you could get away with sending a "damaged" track to another owner of a copy of the original media).

 YIM  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6174
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 27, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:58 pm 
 

I can only concur. It would be illegal. Besides, isn't this availabel on CD anyway?


This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7942
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 25, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:43 pm 
 

guerret wrote:No, I'm not talking about module IM3. I won this today:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

I have been looking for it for a while, with a precise idea in mind. I plan on taking the LP to some audio expert who can record its content in digital format. Has anyone done it already? I can then make the audio tracks available. Please note that I do this only out of preserving the content of the disc and for backup reasons, to make it available to people who are unable to play an LP or own a damaged disc.




It's easier now since they started making turntables with usb hookups, I just bought one the other day. You can record the LPs directly to wav files, which you then convert to MP3 files. I haven't tired it yet, but it looks pretty cool.  



Mike B.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 671
Joined: Dec 17, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 13, 2019
Location: Italy

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:51 pm 
 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I can only concur. It would be illegal. Besides, isn't this availabel on CD anyway?


I don't think the content of the wnd edition First Quest boxed set is the same. Has anyone checked it?

Of course the availability of the tracks is meant for owners of the original record (plus, I would NOT make the text available, and honestly I don't believe anyone can be interested in the music alone), although I cannot completely police this issue.

 ICQ  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:48 pm 
 

guerret wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:I can only concur. It would be illegal. Besides, isn't this availabel on CD anyway?


I don't think the content of the wnd edition First Quest boxed set is the same. Has anyone checked it?

Of course the availability of the tracks is meant for owners of the original record (plus, I would NOT make the text available, and honestly I don't believe anyone can be interested in the music alone), although I cannot completely police this issue.

You could always request license to do so, as well.  This third option is rarely explored, but I can't see why WotC would care, they're never going to re-release it.  They might even put it on their website as downloadable MP3s, and save you the trouble.  Nothing like media to make a website more interesting.  

(Of course they'd probably say "no" and send you a threatening letter, as companies tend not to think intelligently about these things.)

 YIM  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 25, 2019

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:04 pm 
 

deimos3428 wrote:
guerret wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:I can only concur. It would be illegal. Besides, isn't this availabel on CD anyway?


I don't think the content of the wnd edition First Quest boxed set is the same. Has anyone checked it?

Of course the availability of the tracks is meant for owners of the original record (plus, I would NOT make the text available, and honestly I don't believe anyone can be interested in the music alone), although I cannot completely police this issue.

You could always request license to do so, as well.  This third option is rarely explored, but I can't see why WotC would care, they're never going to re-release it.  They might even put it on their website as downloadable MP3s, and save you the trouble.  Nothing like media to make a website more interesting.  

(Of course they'd probably say "no" and send you a threatening letter, as companies tend not to think intelligently about these things.)


My money is on the big fat NO. :wink:


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1