A dilemma.
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:43 pm 

I hated being extorted on shipping charges but to be on the up and up I would say pay whatever he says he intended to charge. If you feel it is too much send it back postage due or make him give you money to ship it back. In reading his auction it is not that hard to figure out. It is either going to be $23 or $33. I can't imagine that all the sellers here would not expect a buyer to do the same for them if they made the mistake.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:51 pm 

I think you need to pay whatever the listing required. That was the agreement, as crappy as paying and extra $10 for shipping is on this deal.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:58 pm 

I am an honest enough guy, but I would not be paying $33 for shipping.  He'd be getting $13 from me.  Christ he should be happy enough getting anything at all being that he already shipped you the items.  Besides who is to say he didn't just over estimate shipping anyway, especially considering that he was dumb enough to ship it without being paid at all.  He might not have had a freakin clue what actual shipping was and just guessed.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:12 pm 

Ebays policy:

"
Excessive Shipping & Handling

eBay encourages sellers to clearly describe the item and terms of shipping and delivery in their listings to avoid possible confusion.

A shipping and handling fee can cover the seller's reasonable costs for mailing, packaging and handling the item. However, shipping and handling fees may not be listed as a percentage of the final sale price.

When a bid is placed, the bidder is entering into an agreement with the seller to purchase the item, which most often means incurring reasonable shipping charges that may also include handling fees.

In the case of disagreements between buyers and sellers regarding shipping charges, eBay encourages the parties to try to work the matter out.

Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions, including:

Listing cancellation

Limits on account privileges

Account suspension

Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings

Loss of PowerSeller status

Some Examples

Listing a DVD with a shipping and handling charge of $25 for standard shipping is considered excessive shipping and handling.

Why does eBay have this policy?

This policy reduces the potential for confusion among bidders about the full cost of an item. Listings that include excessive shipping and handling fees lead to a poor buying experience and un-level the playing field by putting sellers who charge reasonable shipping and handling charges at a disadvantage. These listings undermine the trust and legitimacy of eBay's marketplace.
"

Ebay policy trumps any detail in the listing.

So pay $9.50, $10, or the $13 depending on how generous you feel.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:16 pm 

I'll tell you, if I paid $23 for shipping and it turned out to be $10, the seller would be getting a neg. The math to me seems simple:

Shipping: $10
"handling": $3

I don't care what the auction says, shipping is just that, shipping. If he wants to phuq people over with a $3 fondling charge, whatever, but he certainly doesn't deserve $13. But that's just me. Sorry, I have SOME morals.
I don't remember exactly, Stephen, but when I shipped youffie a Deities and Demigods, I think it was around $10. Did the Post Office maybe tack on extra for handling charges?

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:30 pm 

well, with the benefit of hindsight perhaps I was a bit cheap, as by paying him $10 he only got $0.50 in handling charge.  Hmmm, perhaps I will drop him an email tomorrow offering to pay a few dollars more.

OR MAYBE NOT  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:09 pm 

$13 of additional handling is a large markup for an envelope that cost $10 in postage.  Maybe he was taking a Wild-Ass Guess at what overseas shipping would be and hopes that you'll pay $23 or $33.

Whatever his reasoning, your paying only the postage seems really cheap, especially since you had some idea of his overseas shipping and handling cost.  You're supposed to be an experienced eBayer and a reasonable person; talk to him and educate him before you decide unilaterally what the handling charge is.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:31 pm 

I think the mark up is as excessive and riduculous as I have seen. But don't bid on the damn thing, then.

Yep, guy screwed up by mailing it too soon. That is his mistake. But I make a point of checking shipping costs before I place a bid. If the shipping is unreasonable, I don't bid.

But once you bid, you committed to pay whatever the seller has stated the shipping charges are. Even if they are insane.

I would simple send a friendly email, and say you received the package and noticed it was a $10 gpm or whatever, and you will pay that plus his $3 handling fee. See what his response is...

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Previous