Shrinkwrapped Stuff & Collections
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Author


Active Collector

Posts: 43
Joined: Feb 20, 2006
Last Visit: Jun 02, 2020
Location: Spartanburg, SC

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:03 pm 
 

Until recently I was under the delusion that shrinkwrapped D&D material was rare, but in the last few months I have been able to find tons of it for sale and up for auction.  Where the heck does it all come from?  Is there a secret warehouse somewhere run by former TSR employees who have pallets of old modules they release through a system of secret agents???  

Really though where should I look?  WAY back in the early 1990s I use to run newspaper ads in the "Want to Buy" section and would get some calls, but in the last six months I've run an ad or two several times and gotten ZERO calls.  So where does everyone go looking for collections, shrinkwrapped stuff and such - other than the reseller, ebay, or websites like this one.  Has the the world changed that much in 15 years where everyone sells online and I have no chance of finding stuff in RL???

 WWW  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:22 pm 
 

TheElderEye wrote:Until recently I was under the delusion that shrinkwrapped D&D material was rare, but in the last few months I have been able to find tons of it for sale and up for auction.  Where the heck does it all come from?  Is there a secret warehouse somewhere run by former TSR employees who have pallets of old modules they release through a system of secret agents???  

Really though where should I look?  WAY back in the early 1990s I use to run newspaper ads in the "Want to Buy" section and would get some calls, but in the last six months I've run an ad or two several times and gotten ZERO calls.  So where does everyone go looking for collections, shrinkwrapped stuff and such - other than the reseller, ebay, or websites like this one.  Has the the world changed that much in 15 years where everyone sells online and I have no chance of finding stuff in RL???


Turthfully it is just old store stock finally seeing the light of day from old Brick & Morter shops that have closed down.  About 6 months ago, I(and another member here) purchased a huge amount of SW items from a seller that I happened to hook up on EBay. One of the end results was this(granted not the only one though  :oops: ):

Image


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:31 pm 
 

Oh and I also neglected to mention that I passed on over 30 other A3s in shrink from the same seller. 8O


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 558
Joined: Sep 02, 2004
Last Visit: Sep 21, 2021
Location: Cape Cod

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:31 pm 
 

Well I think SW tries to stay clear of me as it is sacrificed to "the next generation of gamers" ie my sons when I give them the stuff for gifts :)

>>>Rambling statement on<<<

On the locating stuff.... Until people became more net savy there were alot of forums you could post to and get responses ( exluding RGFM ) I also used to find a ton of stuff in the old Alta Vista classifieds.  

As far as ads in papers that seemed to be prosperous until about 2000 or so ( posting flyers at universities got me alot times ). When I ran the TreasureVault we would just locate trade magazines ( The Want Ad for one ) and get copies from different states and just work out the shipping details. People would be stunned when you would call from a 1000+ miles away asking about ads.  I think much of the decline in listings has to do with the popularity of Ebay plus stuff being tossed out after 25+ years.

Things definitely have changed a ton in 15 years ( IMHO ). Not only are there more people that know that things fetch $$ ( hell I was amazed that there were a few people from mass/NH when I first registered ) but many of the places closed...I can think of 3 places just in Worcester MA that were havens for gems in the mid-late 90's that have closed/burned down plus at least another place that sells D&D on Ebay ( That's Entertainment ). That's one town and add to that I know at least one member here lives in the area.....slim pickings become more so.

I would say best bets are flea markets, comic book stores, or used book stores. For SW, I would say anything south of Boston and east of  Worcester I have plundered...unles it was RL , Afterbirth Right, or SpunkJammer. just my 2 cents I guess.

>>>Rambling statement off<<<

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 636
Joined: Sep 14, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 16, 2009
Location: Montreal, Canada

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:33 pm 
 

Hmmm... That pic looks like it would belong more in the coming out of the closet thread.

I was at a store today that had a whole bunch of shrinkwrapped 2nd edition stuff in french.  It had to be left over stock from another store because it wasn't there last week and there were far too many duplicate items.

 WWW  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1253
Joined: Jan 01, 2003
Last Visit: Sep 20, 2021

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:55 pm 
 

bclarkie wrote:
[ Image ]


Oh my, I just had a vision of wallpapering an entire room with A series modules....  :D

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 118
Joined: Nov 10, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 21, 2009
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:14 am 
 

I keep looking at that array of A3's with my eyes crossed, trying to see if one of those secret "hidden" holographic images pops out!  So far, nuthin.

bonk!

  


Active Collector

Posts: 43
Joined: Feb 20, 2006
Last Visit: Jun 02, 2020
Location: Spartanburg, SC

Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:40 am 
 

Well I'm heading down to the "Souths Largest Flea Market" this weekend, maybe I'll turn something up.  

Thanks for the advice, it kind of what I figured had happened to the market. Oh well I guess I'll never find another guy that will sell me his collection for $20, like back in 1993.

 WWW  

User avatar

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 558
Joined: Sep 02, 2004
Last Visit: Sep 21, 2021
Location: Cape Cod

Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:19 am 
 

TheElderEye wrote:Well I'm heading down to the "Souths Largest Flea Market" this weekend, maybe I'll turn something up.  

Thanks for the advice, it kind of what I figured had happened to the market. Oh well I guess I'll never find another guy that will sell me his collection for $20, like back in 1993.


That $20 bucks reminds me of the guy in Wakefield Mass that had a "box" of D&D stuff & Dragons listed in the Want Ad for $25. Called him and he said someone was coming to buy it now and I left my # incase it fell through....he called the next day because the guy passed as it wasn't 2nd edition stuff 8O and to "old" for him.....that day I went up to look at the stuff which composed of Dragons #3-40 ( missing about 10 inbetween 15 and 40 ), a collectors set, all the supps and all the mono mods with hardcovers ( don't recall what prints ).  Not the greatest deal I ever had but it was surely a memorable one :)

Good luck at the Flea Markets :)

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6402
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Sep 21, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:49 am 
 

bclarkie wrote:[ Image ]

It's a shame they weren't B3's.


This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.

 WWW  


Active Collector

Posts: 43
Joined: Feb 20, 2006
Last Visit: Jun 02, 2020
Location: Spartanburg, SC

Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:36 am 
 

Lordan wrote:
TheElderEye wrote:Well I'm heading down to the "Souths Largest Flea Market" this weekend, maybe I'll turn something up.  

Thanks for the advice, it kind of what I figured had happened to the market. Oh well I guess I'll never find another guy that will sell me his collection for $20, like back in 1993.


That $20 bucks reminds me of the guy in Wakefield Mass that had a "box" of D&D stuff & Dragons listed in the Want Ad for $25. Called him and he said someone was coming to buy it now and I left my # incase it fell through....he called the next day because the guy passed as it wasn't 2nd edition stuff 8O and to "old" for him.....that day I went up to look at the stuff which composed of Dragons #3-40 ( missing about 10 inbetween 15 and 40 ), a collectors set, all the supps and all the mono mods with hardcovers ( don't recall what prints ).  Not the greatest deal I ever had but it was surely a memorable one :)

Good luck at the Flea Markets :)


Yeah the $20 deal is still the best, It was during the summer of 93 and I ran a weekly ad in the paper.  I was working my best friend at his green house business and would have people stop by.  So this guy calls me and tells me he has 800 or 1,000 dollars worth of D&D he bought and wants to see if I'm interested.  I say sure but figured he want to much since he was quoting retail vailue up front.  Being a poor college student I wasn't overflowing with cash.  So he shows up and me and my buddy are looking through the stuff 4 or 5 milk crates jammed full plus a few small boxes, tons of stuff.  Some still strinked, box sets, etc. no one is saying anything about money. We are all just playing it cool. I'm thinking of offering $50 or $100 - max and figuring there is no way he is going take when he blurts out "I'll take $20 for it all".  8O  I can still see my friends face, trying to stay cool.  We went iside to get the cash and were just freaking out, went back handed him the cash and grabbed the crates as fast as we could.

I ended selling some of the books later that day to a game friend at a $5 a book cost and made a profit :D  I forget what was in the lot but I do remember getting some shrinkwrapped Greyhawk stuff like the Marklands and Iuz the Evil and a Deites and Demigods - with the Cthulhu stuff.  Nothing super rare but a great deal.

Much better than the guy who showed up with a trunk full of photocopies and asked for $50.

 WWW  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1228
Joined: Mar 08, 2003
Last Visit: Sep 21, 2021
Location: Close to GenCon

Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:37 pm 
 

Wow, it looks like A3 in shrink just lost alot of value :)

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:44 pm 
 

burntwire brothers wrote:Wow, it looks like A3 in shrink just lost alot of value :)


Sorry 'bout that. :oops:


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  


Active Collector

Posts: 88
Joined: Nov 03, 2005
Last Visit: Aug 22, 2007
Location: Northampton, England.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:33 pm 
 

Nearly given hope of finding anything interesting in any stores round me. There's a guy in the next town to me (only about 10 miles away) who is a large D&D re-seller and I guess he finds the stuff before I do! In five years of searching I've discovered one rather crusty old DMG in a charity shop and that's it! I bought the poor thing - at a silly price in retrospect - on principle to give it a loving home in case it got thrown away...

I'm curious as to where the UK sellers pick up their stuff to sell from? Do you guys go to car boot sales or just advertise in the local press or what? I don't want a slice of anyone's business (I'll always be a buyer - I'm too much of a horader by nature to sell!) but just for once I'd like to find something, anything for sale! Did think of trying carboot sales when (if?) the weather improves. Are these worthwhile?

I think you guys over the pond seem to have more gaming stores than we do in general even discounting the population discrepancy. I can honestly say that apart from Ebay and it's related stores I've never seen or heard of a place to buy second hand rpgs in any shop. If there is one I'd love to visit :)

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7967
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Sep 21, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:48 am 
 

Lewisexi wrote:Nearly given hope of finding anything interesting in any stores round me. There's a guy in the next town to me (only about 10 miles away) who is a large D&D re-seller and I guess he finds the stuff before I do! In five years of searching I've discovered one rather crusty old DMG in a charity shop and that's it! I bought the poor thing - at a silly price in retrospect - on principle to give it a loving home in case it got thrown away...

I'm curious as to where the UK sellers pick up their stuff to sell from? Do you guys go to car boot sales or just advertise in the local press or what? I don't want a slice of anyone's business (I'll always be a buyer - I'm too much of a horader by nature to sell!) but just for once I'd like to find something, anything for sale! Did think of trying carboot sales when (if?) the weather improves. Are these worthwhile?

I think you guys over the pond seem to have more gaming stores than we do in general even discounting the population discrepancy. I can honestly say that apart from Ebay and it's related stores I've never seen or heard of a place to buy second hand rpgs in any shop. If there is one I'd love to visit :)


That's pretty sad.  I guess we take it for granted here in the US, almost any used bookstore has at least a small percent chance of a shelf or a box of used gaming material.  Any halfway decent comic store has a section of used games also.  I guess we just have more of those in the states than in England.

Mike B.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 671
Joined: Dec 17, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 13, 2019
Location: Italy

Post Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:38 am 
 

Badmike wrote:That's pretty sad.  I guess we take it for granted here in the US, almost any used bookstore has at least a small percent chance of a shelf or a box of used gaming material.  Any halfway decent comic store has a section of used games also.  I guess we just have more of those in the states than in England.

Mike B.


In Italy you have to search hhard to find any store that has at least heard of role-playing games.

 ICQ  


Active Collector

Posts: 43
Joined: Feb 20, 2006
Last Visit: Jun 02, 2020
Location: Spartanburg, SC

Post Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:06 pm 
 

Well I went to the "South's Largest Flea Market" today and turned a few things but the sellers I spoke to said that the flea market business had been in downward spiral for the last 5 years.  I did turn up a couple of Deities and Demigods w/ the two mythos in them, one an 1st printing another a 2nd.  Also about a dozen MERP supplements, but that was about it.  Saw some PHBs and DMGs but they were all over priced. Seemed most folks priced based on size.  I'm going to beach next week end, might check out things there.

 WWW  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1