I never sell on Ebay or otherwise 20%       20%  [ 8 ]
I did, but it was the customers fault! 3%       3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 40

Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:57 am 

Crap!!

I just auctioned off all my Traveller stuff!  Everything was going great then I sent the wrong module to a guy.  This has never happened to me before, what a pain in the A**.  Anyway, anybody else every do that?  What did you do and what was the outcome?

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:02 pm 

I've never shipped the wrong item, but I have received the wrong one.  I just asked the seller for the other party's address and sent it on to him.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:13 pm 

I've done it twice so far.  The last time involved King of Pain who was real cool about everything.

The only thing you can do is explain everything, apologize profusely and ask them to mail the item back to you (or directly to the other party) at their convenience.  

You then have to get them payment for return shipping and, of course, pay to  ship the items again.  Since this will probably take awhile and require the other party to aid you, I also would offer to refund the cost of the original shipping.

The first time it happened, the items were common (like a Dungeon Master's Guide) so I just sent them a second one in better condition and told them to keep the wrong item (this only works when the item is fairly cheap).

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:17 pm 

I've had the wrong item shipped to me twice.  In both cases another buyer had got my item and the seller asked us to ship the items to each other.  The seller paid for the additional postage.  And in one instance, the original shipping was refunded as well.

So, everything turned out well.  However, in the instance where the seller paid for the postage and refunded the original shipping, I think they might have been better off simply refunding the original payments and writing it off as the items were low value.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:21 pm 

Yep I did, it was with you as a matter of fact.  I picked up the shipping of your next lot of miniature purchases which killed me and you sent the box set to the guy I sent the wrong box set to and he did vice versa I think.

Last time i ever made that mistake. :)

Blackmoor wrote:Crap!!

I just auctioned off all my Traveller stuff!  Everything was going great then I sent the wrong module to a guy.  This has never happened to me before, what a pain in the A**.  Anyway, anybody else every do that?  What did you do and what was the outcome?

J

"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:32 pm 

Not yet, but I'm sure it will happen.  In fact, I thought I had sent YOU the wrong item recently, but that wasn't the case after all.  Whew!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:34 pm 

I've never sent the wrong item but I have (once) left out a map by accident, realized it after it shipped and sent it the next day along with an email explaining what happened.  I've also sold stuff that was missing things - and were listed that way - later found them and sent them to the buyer.  Happened last month with a mini set that I sold with no stat card, I found it a week or so after the auction.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:08 pm 

Terminal_Frost wrote:Yep I did, it was with you as a matter of fact.  I picked up the shipping of your next lot of miniature purchases which killed me and you sent the box set to the guy I sent the wrong box set to and he did vice versa I think.

Last time i ever made that mistake. :)

Blackmoor wrote:Crap!!

J

Small world, I forgot about that already!!

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:09 pm 

bombadil wrote:Not yet, but I'm sure it will happen.  In fact, I thought I had sent YOU the wrong item recently, but that wasn't the case after all.  Whew!

You mean that 1st Monster Manual, that was a great deal!

J

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:17 pm 

Stephen (bombadil), weren't you on the tail end of my flub?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:28 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Stephen (bombadil), weren't you on the tail end of my flub?

Indeed, much to my delight.  And I'm still impressed that you just took it like a man and let me keep it.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:33 pm 

TheElderEye wrote:I've never sent the wrong item but I have (once) left out a map by accident

Same here. I've had to do "follow-up" shipments at least twice that I remember. Paid out of my own pocket, obviously, and with many apologies.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:47 pm 

It happened to me once, but I was on the buyer's side. Reshipped the item and got the correct one.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:24 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:I've done it twice so far.  The last time involved King of Pain who was real cool about everything.

Yeah I remember that.  Went very smooth.  I ended up sending the items back to you directly.  I figure "shit happens" sometimes.  I have always been real patient with sellers, especially the ones that do a lot of business.  Only two bad experiences on Ebay (yours obviously wasnt one of them) so far and I still didnt neg them.

I've had the wrong item shipped to me twice. In both cases another buyer had got my item and the seller asked us to ship the items to each other.

I would be a little leery about having both buyers just ship directly to each other.  It would be faster but who says one of the sellers wouldnt just keep the wrong merchandise and then say "Sorry, it must have gotten lost in the mail".

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:34 pm 

bombadil wrote:
Deadlord39 wrote:Stephen (bombadil), weren't you on the tail end of my flub?

Indeed, much to my delight.  And I'm still impressed that you just took it like a man and let me keep it.

I was just glad it went to a good home. In the end, it all worked out for the best.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:43 pm 

A few years back, I needed some cash and was forced to sell my beloved R1-4, RPGA1-4 and ST1 modules.  I got pretty good prices for them, but fracked up big time and sent 3 of them by mistake to a collector in Italy, and his one module went to a collector in the US who should have been sent the first 3.  The Italian collector agreed to send them back to me, but they went mysteriously 'missing in the mail'. Then he stopped answering e-mails.  I never got them back, and had to refund the purchase price of the US collector too.  I lost a lot of money as well as the heart of my collection, and for a short time lost faith in the collector community.

In case you're curious, the Italian collector went by the name of 'Loralon'.  Anyone know him?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:55 pm 

Been there, done that. 8O

I think only once, though. There is no easy way out of it, either. I had both send items back to me because one of them would not pass it forward to the other guy until his came.  Probably lost around $25 in mailing fees.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:18 pm 

otherworld wrote:A few years back, I needed some cash and was forced to sell my beloved R1-4, RPGA1-4 and ST1 modules.  I got pretty good prices for them, but fracked up big time and sent 3 of them by mistake to a collector in Italy, and his one module went to a collector in the US who should have been sent the first 3.  The Italian collector agreed to send them back to me, but they went mysteriously 'missing in the mail'. Then he stopped answering e-mails.  I never got them back, and had to refund the purchase price of the US collector too.  I lost a lot of money as well as the heart of my collection, and for a short time lost faith in the collector community.

In case you're curious, the Italian collector went by the name of 'Loralon'.  Anyone know him?

Oh gosh that is harsh!

I've had it happen a couple of times now, once involved fairly common items that I think I even had duplicates of so it was an easy fix.  The second time involved me shipping an item to Canada meant to go to Brazil.  The logistics of sorting it out were pretty complex (and expensive) since it involved items that weren't simply "replacable"

Next