A little history came in the mail today . . .
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:02 pm 

For those of you interested in pre-Chainmail, here's something fun:

1969, 1972, and 1973, respectively.

It's nice to see a little continuity now and then.

"I can shew you houses that have stood two centuries and a half and more; houses that have witnessed what would make a modern house crumble into powder.  What do moderns know of life and the forces behind it?" --Richard Upton Pickman

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:12 pm 

Got the 1st prints. Don't have the sigs.

Sweet! :D

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:03 pm 

I've got a copy of H.G. Wells' "Little Wars", printed in 1970 by Arms and Armour Press.  Picked it up in a used bookstore for $4.95.  The dustjacket is a bit ragged, but it's a cool find.  I've been trying to dig up a 1913 printing, but doubt I'll find anything within my budget... :(

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:22 pm 

:(

Sad to have just read this thread over on the Dragonsfoot forum in that context, tfm.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:29 pm 

faro wrote::(

Sad to have just read this thread over on the Dragonsfoot forum in that context, tfm.

Heh, I was going to post something about this in the next day or so, if Paul didn't.  I was just waiting to get more details and/or the absoulte go ahead to do so.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:32 pm 

I'm sure we'll be hearing from Paul, too... *sighs* :?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:37 pm 

faro wrote:I'm sure we'll be hearing from Paul, too... *sighs* :?

Kind of scary and sad how eerily similar it sounds to Dave Sutherland, huh? :(

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:50 pm 

Yep; that was the thought here...

Funds might hopefully be slightly easier to do something about than the underlying medical condition. (Could always send across a stack of Chainmails for signing and re-BINing to members of the collecting community: know I wouldn't be averse to $50 via such a route, say).

Just thinking out loud...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:52 pm 

Paul and I talked about this at length.  We had in mind a charity auction of sorts.  I'm going to kick something important in and I hope others will consider doing the same.  I found the bookstore that bought Jeff's books--some 200+ volumes.  The owner is sending me a list this week.  I think one goal is to raise enough money to buy them back for Jeff.  Paul is really the point man on this.  Perhaps he can respond with a structure as to when and how we can help.

The right kind of support can make a real difference here.

"I can shew you houses that have stood two centuries and a half and more; houses that have witnessed what would make a modern house crumble into powder.  What do moderns know of life and the forces behind it?" --Richard Upton Pickman

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:59 pm 

Thanks for the inside line.
tfm wrote:I found the bookstore that bought Jeff's books--some 200+ volumes.

Was wondering about that; hence my reason for tagging on to this thread.

Good to hear that some of his collection was saved, given all the other bad news: should that be something he'd wish to hold on to, if possible.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:00 pm 

Think this might be a good time to start a new thread with the specifics as its known right now?

Aside, I am sure that even if we could get all the regular posters here to chip even one item each, it could certainly go a long way.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:10 pm 

Ugh.  Very sad indeed.  Count me in if there's anything we can do.

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:32 am 

bclarkie wrote:Think this might be a good time to start a new thread with the specifics as its known right now?

Aside, I am sure that even if we could get all the regular posters here to chip even one item each, it could certainly go a long way.

well my funds are pretty damn meager right now, but i will pipe in whatever i can when something more is known.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:48 am 

Howdy All,

I am asking for a little patience here although your eager sentiments are heartwarming. I will be in communication with Jeff tonight.

Once I finish gathering information I will come up with a plan of action and put it forward here.

I will also ask for some restraint in discussing what particular troubles Jeff faces. Above all I want to preserve the man's dignity.

Once we have all of the information then we can raise awareness and support. I have only ever heard positive things about Jeff. He is above all a dedicated gamer with true love for historical miniatures, film, books, and wargames.

Does anyone have additions to his bibliography? So far I have:

Cavaliers and Roundheads
Chainmail
Valley Forge
Rorke's Drift (published?)
Wargamer's Newletter (a few articles)
File 13 (development playtesting)
King of the Tabletop (development playtesting)

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:12 pm 

The Collector's Trove wrote:Does anyone have additions to his bibliography? So far I have:

Cavaliers and Roundheads
Chainmail
Valley Forge
Rorke's Drift (published?)
Wargamer's Newletter (a few articles)
File 13 (development playtesting)
King of the Tabletop (development playtesting)

Rorke's Drift was a lengthy scenario published in Wargamer's Newsletter, IIRC, but I don't know if it was expanded further afterwards.

You probably need a battle-hardened old-time wargamer or two to firm up that list, I think: am certainly struggling a bit there, Paul; especially for Viscount Perren's particular contribs. within the Castle & Crusade Society. Sorry :(

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:31 pm 

faro wrote:You probably need a battle-hardened old-time wargamer or two to firm up that list, I think: am certainly struggling a bit there, Paul; especially for Viscount Perren's particular contribs. within the Castle & Crusade Society. Sorry :(

would frank M have any idea?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:38 pm 

Yer better off asking Gary.

I do have a copy of Roarke's Drift, but it was just photocopied and bears no publisher credits.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:53 pm 

How sad. How truly sad.

However, it is heartening to see folks rally themselves around in support.

"Surely you don't disbelieve the prophecies just because you had a hand in bringing them about?" J.R.R. Tolkien

Next