Ok, that's enough
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:31 pm 

I really need a little clarifying. I hear now and then anout JonB and Maxwell, but recently (with the Tonya-Titan issue) these names are repeated so much that I can't stand not knowing who they are any longer. Probably I came in here too recently to know these guys. What did they do? Please, don't suggest using the forum search facility, because I'd get hundreds of mentions of those names, in many threads speaking of other subjects. I don't even need people looking for the right threads and sending me there... a few quick lines of explanation will be more than enough.

Thanks in advance.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:53 pm 

guerret wrote:I really need a little clarifying. I hear now and then anout JonB and Maxwell, but recently (with the Tonya-Titan issue) these names are repeated so much that I can't stand not knowing who they are any longer. Probably I came in here too recently to know these guys. What did they do? Please, don't suggest using the forum search facility, because I'd get hundreds of mentions of those names, in many threads speaking of other subjects. I don't even need people looking for the right threads and sending me there... a few quick lines of explanation will be more than enough.

Thanks in advance.

JonB and Maxwell were both Ebay dealers that listed many hundreds of items, shipped a few and then stiffed the rest after getting a bucnh of positive feedbacks.  They are both criminals, puposely ripping peoaple like us off.

There you go, a few lines.
:D
J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:03 pm 

Maxwell was also a psychopath and a pathological liar.  He threatened a few people with violence (very graphic threats) and told everyone that he was an employee of WoTC if I am not mistaken.  I never bought from him or Eastern Treasure Chest, Game Emporium, or any other incarnation of JonB so I dont have nearly the horrific stories that others do.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:03 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:
guerret wrote:I really need a little clarifying. I hear now and then anout JonB and Maxwell, but recently (with the Tonya-Titan issue) these names are repeated so much that I can't stand not knowing who they are any longer. Probably I came in here too recently to know these guys. What did they do? Please, don't suggest using the forum search facility, because I'd get hundreds of mentions of those names, in many threads speaking of other subjects. I don't even need people looking for the right threads and sending me there... a few quick lines of explanation will be more than enough.

Thanks in advance.

JonB and Maxwell were both Ebay dealers that listed many hundreds of items, shipped a few and then stiffed the rest after getting a bucnh of positive feedbacks.  They are both criminals, puposely ripping peoaple like us off.

There you go, a few lines.
:D
J

Maxwell was more of a wacko nutcase.  Jonb's criminal activity was more insidious and planned out.  Three times the same individual has come on Ebay offering very nice RPG items (some rares).  The pattern is the same each time.  For a couple of months, no problems and everyone gets their items. Then, slowly, items begin shipping late.  Then, negative feedback starts coming in bits as certain people don't receive their itmes.  Then, one day, he disappears leavng dozens of gamers holding the bag with no items or money.

The three names under which this individual operates that we know of were The Eastern Treasure Chest; Game Emporium, and Jonb7839. For an idea how he operates, here isa link to his most recent feedback as Jonb:

Feedback Profile

Each time this individual denys being any of he other entities; however, certain trademarks distinguish him and make him easy to spot, including the use of certain phrases ("That's Dirty!") and of course the MO which has always remained the same, as some point completely disappearing from the scene leaving unhappy buyers behind.

BClarkie here on the forum has been a nemesis to Jonb in him many incarnations, he might want to add to this post.

Rest assured that when he pops up again, one of the benefits of belonging to the acaeum is that he will be "outed" very quickly and you will be warned.

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:09 pm 

Links to jonb's feedback as Eastern Treasure Chest and Game Emporium:

Feedback Profile

Feedback Profile

You'll notice that Jonb's first two aliases were allowed to go on an operate a long time after accumulating negative feedback and criminal business practices; his third alias was allowed to operate for a much shorter amount of time due I believe to the diligence of members of this forum harrassing and keeping tabs on him from the minute we knew he was back. It has been speculated that Jonb lurks here in the forum waiting for the moment he thinks our guard is down so he can return, if so he's got to be fuming since we make sure to bring up his name periodically!!!  :twisted:

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:19 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Maxwell was also a psychopath and a pathological liar.  He threatened a few people with violence (very graphic threats) and told everyone that he was an employee of WoTC if I am not mistaken.  I never bought from him or Eastern Treasure Chest, Game Emporium, or any other incarnation of JonB so I dont have nearly the horrific stories that others do.

I think psychopath and pathologial liar describe Max perfectly.  His more offensive posts were removed.  Interestingly I believe he still posts under phony names ocassionally, he can't leave us alone. I had forgotten the supposedly "working behind the scenes" crap he posted about being a game designer or whatever for WOTC, funny stuff.

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:59 pm 

He does still occasionally post, I'm sure. Unfortunate that he never returned my phone call. He came awfully close to having me hop a plane out there.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:46 pm 

Thanks for the info, at last I know something about these names. Actually, this reminds me of a very bad experience I had with a rat_of_darkness user, who in his last eBay life was collecting a huge amount of negs; including mine, actually, which I posted for an item I paid and I couldn't see coming. In the end it came after 3 months, because it had been shipped by surface mail ($4.50 stamp, I had paid over 24 dollars for a stated priority air mail). Possible that this guy is the same person?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:54 pm 

Badmike wrote: The three names under which this individual operates that we know of were The Eastern Treasure Chest; Game Emporium, and Jonb7839. For an idea how he operates, here isa link to his most recent feedback as Jonb:

Feedback Profile

Each time this individual denys being any of he other entities; however, certain trademarks distinguish him and make him easy to spot, including the use of certain phrases ("That's Dirty!") and of course the MO which has always remained the same, as some point completely disappearing from the scene leaving unhappy buyers behind.

BClarkie here on the forum has been a nemesis to Jonb in him many incarnations, he might want to add to this post.

Rest assured that when he pops up again, one of the benefits of belonging to the acaeum is that he will be "outed" very quickly and you will be warned.

Mike B.

You just about hit the nail on the head about jonb Mike, except you neglected one ever so important detail about him.  His auction decriptions are unmistakable.  Every item that Jonb sells regardless of how common or mundane is EXTREMELY HARD TO FIND, VERY RARE, AND HIGHLY SOUGHT AFTER BY COLLECTORS!!!!.  He overuses the word Rare and he also uses an obscene amount of capital lettlers and exclamation points. I am quite sure that he will rear his ugly head again, its only a matter of time now.....

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:31 am 

bclarkie wrote:
Badmike wrote: The three names under which this individual operates that we know of were The Eastern Treasure Chest; Game Emporium, and Jonb7839. For an idea how he operates, here isa link to his most recent feedback as Jonb:

Feedback Profile

Mike B.

You just about hit the nail on the head about jonb Mike, except you neglected one ever so important detail about him.  His auction decriptions are unmistakable.  Every item that Jonb sells regardless of how common or mundane is EXTREMELY HARD TO FIND, VERY RARE, AND HIGHLY SOUGHT AFTER BY COLLECTORS!!!!.  He overuses the word Rare and he also uses an obscene amount of capital lettlers and exclamation points. I am quite sure that he will rear his ugly head again, its only a matter of time now.....

How could I forget. You'll know his stink of evil when you see a B2 Keep On the Borderlands described as "EXTREMELY HARD TO FIND VERY RARE ORIGINAL D&D MODULE! THIS ONE IS HIGHLY COLLECTIBLE FOLKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Mike B.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:21 pm 

I've never dealt with maxwell but I've bought a couple of items from jonb before discovering the Acaeum and the forums.

To be honest I don't know what to think.

I mean: I trust Mike, Brian and most of the people on this forum. And I know they're right about Jonb.

What I can't understand was Jonb's behaviour ...

This is what happened: I had won the auction in April (I can't remember exactly when) and at the and of june I hadn't received the item (Enciclopedia magica). I wasn't (and probably I am not) an expert ebayer so when I started a complain, it was too late.

A good lesson to learn, I thought.

But, after some days the item arrived, when jonb had already been erased from ebay. From that day, letters and emails were written by Martha Basseth instead of John Basseth ...

I don't know ...

This is my experience.

What I'm sure of is this: "I won't buy from him anymore".

Have nice day

Giorgio

... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me, nor can any alter the music in my despite ...

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:13 pm 

I bought from both, maxwell endied up refunding me and I got JonB while he was still shipping stuff.

Just lucky I guess

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:26 pm 

Radagast the Brown wrote:I've never dealt with maxwell but I've bought a couple of items from jonb before discovering the Acaeum and the forums.

To be honest I don't know what to think.
I mean: I trust Mike, Brian and most of the people on this forum. And I know they're right about Jonb.
What I can't understand was Jonb's behaviour ...

This is what happened: I had won the auction in April (I can't remember exactly when) and at the and of june I hadn't received the item (Enciclopedia magica). I wasn't (and probably I am not) an expert ebayer so when I started a complain, it was too late.

A good lesson to learn, I thought.

But, after some days the item arrived, when jonb had already been erased from ebay. From that day, letters and emails were written by Martha Basseth instead of John Basseth ...

I don't know ...
This is my experience.

What I'm sure of is this: "I won't buy from him anymore".
Have nice day

Giorgio

One of Jonb's ridiculous stories was that he got his entire stock from his "dead" brother, who was the Game Emporium. You see (in his story), his brother died and that was why the Game Emporium stopped shipping. He inherited 2-3 warehouses full of stuff, in his words, didnt' know what it was or what it was worth, and was just trying to liquidate his estate.  Maybe everything being addressed from Martha was a ploy to try and prove that John also is now deceased, so when Marthab's Games or whatever pops up in a few months the owner can say they got the stock from her dead husband....

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:56 am 

Badmike wrote:so when Marthab's Games or whatever pops up in a few months the owner can say they got the stock from her dead husband....

You don't want to go near that stock. Martha's brother in law stored his RPG collection in a container previously used by the military to store anthrax.

Although they had the container steam cleaned, anthrax spores are notoriously hard to destroy, and after going through and posting out some of his collection, he died.

The collection passed to his dear brother, John. A small man hampered by low intelligence who fantasized about being a marine and serving in Iraq. Unprepared with any real training or education, and having read army training manuals he didn't really understand, he sadly found he was ill prepared for the anthrax risk, and like his dear departed brother, he too perished within months of entering the container.

I wonder whether Martha will warn buyers of the possible virus risk attached to the products she sells. I suspect she too will fall ill and die.

Luckily her sister Jenny and husband Goober are waiting in the wings. They all farm melons I understand.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:24 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
Badmike wrote:so when Marthab's Games or whatever pops up in a few months the owner can say they got the stock from her dead husband....

You don't want to go near that stock. Martha's brother in law stored his RPG collection in a container previously used by the military to store anthrax.

Although they had the container steam cleaned, anthrax spores are notoriously hard to destroy, and after going through and posting out some of his collection, he died.

The collection passed to his dear brother, John. A small man hampered by low intelligence who fantasized about being a marine and serving in Iraq. Unprepared with any real training or education, and having read army training manuals he didn't really understand, he sadly found he was ill prepared for the anthrax risk, and like his dear departed brother, he too perished within months of entering the container.

I wonder whether Martha will warn buyers of the possible virus risk attached to the products she sells. I suspect she too will fall ill and die.

Luckily her sister Jenny and husband Goober are waiting in the wings. They all farm melons I understand.

That isn't worse than whatever the "real" story will be whenever Jonb makes it back here.  Dead relatives, cancer, deployment to Iraq, amnesia, all have a chance of playing a part in the new con when it arrives.
    I have been wondering if Ebay's new policy of not being able to deny paypal buyers use of a credit card during transactions is hampering his comeback....although I guess in the long run it just hurts paypal, not Jonb, if he shuts down his account in time.  And only accepting checks and money orders would drastically cut his business down to unacceptable levels.  Should be interesting to see.

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:43 am 

I bet he won't admit to being a melon farmer.  :lol:

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:51 am 

He also felt the compunction to buy items, even though he claimed to not know what it was or worth...

Mah, tha boyz et skool reck'n you's got tha best melons in tha county. They wonna know wot we uses fer fertylizer?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:15 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I bet he won't admit to being a melon farmer.  :lol:

Whoops.  I misread that as "They are all farm melons", not "They all farm melons."  Mine is funnier.

YIM