OT - Coming out of the closet............
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:48 am 

Ok, figured that would get your attention   :D  

Anyways, I figured I'd start a fun thread to talk about "fetishes". No gutter-mind, not the type that has your wife saying "you want to stick that thing where???"  :twisted:  I mean D&D, i.e. collecting, fetishes. So I'll come out first............

*stands up*, *clears throat*.....My Name is Matt, I'm 38 and I have an addiction..............Fiend Folios  8O  It all started back in 1997 when I ran an on online store called the TreasureVault. With all the stuff we were buying they just started piling up and calling to me. It was always my favorite book so I couldn't resist that seductive, siren-like beckoning........I was weak.

*wipes tears from eye*

I had to do it....I had to have one Fiend Folio for each year I had been on earth,  30 to be exact. So it began and before I knew it I had them, all of them.....30 beautiful, square, Githyanki-covered Aphrodite's that I could roll on, dance with......cuddle with ( ok maybe not   8O  ).

*clears throat*

Then with time I was able to control my addiction, I stopped buying them at 37,  and buried my desires.....until recently  :oops:   It happened, I didn't even plan for it to, it just did. I was in storage looking for some heritage figures and I came across a magazine box and opened it and there they were, buried among a multitude of modules I forgot I had, 3 Fiend Folios....

The rush was sudden and over-whelming, it was like I had lost all control and was being dragged back into the arms of the Succubus, I couldn't fight it  I just couldn't.... :cry:  So I remebered :!:  :!:  :!:  , I had stopped at 37, Being almost 39 it wasn't as bad as I thought. I could just put the two in the collection and forget again, to just be able to forget again.............

But there wasn't two, there were three.....THREEEEE :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:  how could I just put one back in the box and wait over a year to aquaint it with the rest, I couldn't....I just couldn't. They they began to call, as they had done before....calling, almost begging me, to do it....to do what I never thought I would, but being a weak man I did, I let it in and it was my downfall..............

*puts face in hands and sobs*  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

I shall now have "2" Fiend Folios for each year of my existance, I have chosen the path of weakness, and I am sorry. When you see me with those $2 - $3 winning bids on Ebay do not pity me, be disgusted by me for I am the epitome of weakness.....I am a Fiend Folio addict.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:05 am 

Lordan wrote:I shall now have "2" Fiend Folios for each year of my existance, I have chosen the path of weakness, and I am sorry. When you see me with those $2 - $3 winning bids on Ebay do not pity me, be disgusted by me for I am the epitome of weakness.....I am a Fiend Folio addict.

Dude, that's just weird.  (Says the guy with seriously considering picking up each PHB printing.)

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:14 am 

Lordan wrote:
I shall now have "2" Fiend Folios for each year of my existance, I have chosen the path of weakness, and I am sorry. When you see me with those $2 - $3 winning bids on Ebay do not pity me, be disgusted by me for I am the epitome of weakness.....I am a Fiend Folio addict.

Fiend Folios...man that is pretty sick 8O

...what is funny is that through acquiring multiple collections, and picking up copies here and there, at one point I ended up with almost 20 copies...through selling on ebay I'm down to a managable number...I think five copies at last count.  I don't know how they piled up so.  

In the last year I've been divesting myself of all the multiple copies I piled up of various titles.  Another one for me was B1, my favorite module. I couldn't have enough copies in every sort of condition, I think I topped out at around ten though of both the Green and Brown cover varities combined.  I've whittled that down also.

Fiend Folios...once again, that is pretty sick!!!!!!! :twisted:

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:23 am 

I don't want to tell you all because it just hurts too much. That and it's bad enough that many of you out-bid me when I try to get this particular item on ebay. I already hate some of you because of your awesome collections! YOU WANT ME TO HATE YOU MORE? IS THAT IT?

*Runs out of room screaming about that damn From the Ashes box set*

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:01 pm 

Well, no, fortunately I am currently free of such "fetishes". That is certainly a worrying story though...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:45 pm 

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

But there is a simple solution to your addiction.  Simply buy 4750 for each year of your existence...

The Acaeum wrote:Estimates place the total number of Fiend Folios sold at 190,000.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:47 pm 

On the plus side . . . If any of us ever need to get you a birthday present, we've a good idea what to bring!  :D

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:53 pm 

Hmm, you could build a coffee table out of Fiend Folios and still have enough left over for a small bench or footstool.

Or you could keep buying them all up, burn them all so the rarity goes up, and then they might actually be worth money.  :roll:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:30 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Hmm, you could build a coffee table out of Fiend Folios and still have enough left over for a small bench or footstool.

Or you could keep buying them all up, burn them all so the rarity goes up, and then they might actually be worth money.  :roll:

I think cougar is actually testing the latter on Hs, so I vote you try the former.  Build something cool - like a D&D display case, made entirely of Fiend Folios.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:34 pm 

I can't say I have any similar affliction.  
Once in a while, if I'm at an auction and something I've got is going for a ridiculously low price, I'll buy with a vague notion of trading or reselling at some point.
I also am amused by my growing cache of B2 + X1s, although those are just inadvertent additions from lots, rather than deliberate pursual.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:35 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:
Lordan wrote:I shall now have "2" Fiend Folios for each year of my existance, I have chosen the path of weakness, and I am sorry. When you see me with those $2 - $3 winning bids on Ebay do not pity me, be disgusted by me for I am the epitome of weakness.....I am a Fiend Folio addict.

Dude, that's just weird.  (Says the guy with seriously considering picking up each PHB printing.)

I KNEW the flumph was secretly evil.....

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:13 pm 

Didn't we have someone here with some outrageous number of B2's? Like in three digits? Was it Draco? Or am I playing this out only in my own head ... ?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:39 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Didn't we have someone here with some outrageous number of B2's? Like in three digits? Was it Draco? Or am I playing this out only in my own head ... ?

That was defintely Draco.  He had something like 60 or 70 B2s.

So Lordan is now tryign to cornere the market on Feind Folios I see..... :P

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:47 pm 

I think anyone that buys lots on eBay ends up with more B2's and X1's than they know what to do with :p

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:45 pm 

FF is the B2 or X1 of the hard cover world. Seems no matter which hardcover lot you buy, there is a freaking FF in there, too.

I don't have real fetish, per se, but can't stand to see a mono print go for under $10. Therefore, I have at least five C1 monos and a few T1s. And I don't duplicate in my collection.

The next closest thing is Gen Con programs. I sold all mine off a few years ago and have regretted it ever since. I have managed to regain all but a few.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:13 pm 

<bump>

S3 - For a while I managed to get over 15 of the bloody Barrier Peaks.  It turned into an anti-S3 fetish soon thereafter.  Now I avoid buying lots because they contain an S3.

Laser Rifles.  D&D.

Sounds like a match made in S1.

DD

Well THAT went over like a turd in a punchbowl!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:53 pm 

mordrin wrote:I can't say I have any similar affliction.  
Once in a while, if I'm at an auction and something I've got is going for a ridiculously low price, I'll buy with a vague notion of trading or reselling at some point.
I also am amused by my growing cache of B2 + X1s, although those are just inadvertent additions from lots, rather than deliberate pursual.

Oh, sure, it starts innocently....

Just a few Keep on the Borderlands...maybe a Village of Homlet or two.....

Pretty soon, you're collecting issues of Playboy to see the Succubus model and laying down a snipe on your 33rd Tegel Manor.

Face it, man, you got the jones and you got it hard....Soon we'll see you on the news under indictment for trying to trade kilos of cocaine to the Yakuza in exchange for Japanese language Basic Boxes.   :lol:

Might as well admit what you are and stop trying to sate your bloodlust on rats.  I see an English Wraith Overlord is up....hmm....

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:37 pm 

Been missing The Acaeum lately so been spending time just lurking about and re-reading some of the old posts.
Then I came across this gem of a post.
I'll bet there are a few people here that wouldn't mind seeing a photo of Matt's Fiend Folio stash.  Especially if he did indeed manage to get two of them for every year of his existence.  That would make the number 104...106?  8O
C'mon Matt, upload a photo or two if you can so we can all revel in your madness together.  :D

I can't believe it's been 16 years since I joined this forum!

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Next