Evolution of the game: D&D goes massively multi-player
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:34 am 

duplicate post deleted

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:34 am 

johnhuck wrote:So what was that one with the dwarves throwing axes at you and the twisty passages all the same.  I remember playing that using one of those old-fashioned modems that the telephone headset slots into at my sisters house in the mid 70s.  Great fun (at the time).  Can anyone point me at an emulator.  Would love to try it out again and see if it stands the test of time.

Was it Adventure aka ADVENT aka Colossal Cave? I believe it was a forerunner of Zork.

There's a whole web page dedicated to its history here:
http://www.rickadams.org/adventure/

There used to be a place you could play it on the web but I can't find the site quickly...if you search around that website you might find it. They've also got all sorts of downloads of different versions of the game. There's even a walk-through if you can't be bothered playing the whole thing.

I first played Adventure back in the early 80s on a computer without a monitor. Everything typed was printed out on a printer.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:38 am 

Oh wait, Adventure had the dwarf axeman, that's right. Songbird in a cage that scares off the snake, etc.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:49 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:Matt, what did you think of EverCrack? I was tempted to play it but I was told it was anime.

Definitley not anime, The graphics at the time were great but are pretty bad compared say with EQ II or Stormreach ( they are upgrading zones but the game is in it's last cycle of life ).

The main reason I stopped my WoW account in beta was because I felt there was to much of a "cartoonish" feel to the characters ( My opinion but shared by the other 6 RL friends I play EQ with ).

I can say the term "ever-crack" was true to name. It really did bring the whole experience ( visually ) of everything I imagined it D&D to life ( loosely used term for lack of better ). That first person view can't be beat ( I can't even play 3rd person games now I'm such a 1st person view snobb :) ) When the game was young we ( my 6 buddies, who btw all are in my D&D group ) would spend all night travelling to get to the other side of the world taking boats was a thrill...we were addicted 8O . Then of course they "dumbed" it down and made it a 2 minute task to tgo anywhere :(

when EQ came out ( and for the next few years till the thrill was waning ) we would spend the first hour or two of our gaming nights talking about what happened the previous week in EQ and what we saw, it was just that exciting. Now of course combat. etc. was not D&D but it was still thrilling none the less and because we used ether our phones or Roger Wilco we could all be talking while playing which was fun.

Overall it was one of the best games I ever played and still do from time to time. Of course that "innocent" feel I had when I first played the game is gone and didn't seem to come back with anything else I have tried to date :(

EQ II is fun, but like most of the other companies they have dumbed it down to be more appealing to the "X-Box" generation. I'm looking forward to Vanguard ( from the original creator of EQ ) but I would assume that the current trend of making these games so easy your dog could play will continue. You can pick up EQ cheap if you wanted to try it, get something like "platnium" or "gold" as it will have the first few expansions ( latest it titanium but why bother ). Just make sure you have the expansions through veliuos ( 3rd expansion ) as that was the new character models.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:00 am 

guerret wrote:On the contrary, I am impatiently waiting for Oblivion. That will be definitely my next gaming purchase.

Me too.  Daggerfall was the first real open-ended adventure game I ever played and from the screenshots and first impressions of others it is going to be one heck of an epic game.

I'm a recovering video game addict

I dont ever plan on recovering.  :D   I dont do MMORPG's though.  I dont have nearly enough time to play those.  I have a brother that plays WOW and says it is the best game out right now.  I have a nephew that plays EVE Online and while it is a gorgeous game, it looks boring as hell.

I like the occasional RPG style game such as Baldur's Gate and Dungeon Siege.  Fallout is still my favorite though.  At the moment though I am more into FPS and RTS games.  Just got done finishing up F.E.A.R. (think Half-Life 2 meets Resident Evil....scariest damn game ever!  8O ) and I just started playing Star Wars: Empire At War.

I dont ever plan on playing an MMORPG or any other online only game.  Maybe, if they ever get Middle Earth Online done and in the stores I might give it a try.  But I really doubt it unless it is a free trial.  I just dont like the idea of paying $60 for a game and then having to pay a monthly fee.  Even though I dont play it, I like the idea they use with Guild Wars.  Pay for the game and never pay a monthly fee.  But you do have to purchase new iterations of the game...but you do that already with all the other games.  D&D online will probably last longer that some of the others like Asheron's Call and Ultima Online though just because of the name.  I give it three years.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:02 am 

As an EQ/EQ2 playerlike Lordan, I can agree with his comments.

If you've never tried them, the thrill of the game and the sence of discovery is quite exciting.  It can be rather addictive.  I think my favortie time was when my buddies made a dwarf guild (group of friends) and a coresponding guild of ogres and then had the two groups declare a guild war on each other.  The RP aspect was great.

There are folks out there that want to be the most powerful whatever and rush through it all, but I've always enjoyed alot of the lower level stuff.  Just like in the OD&D and 1E AD&D days, some of the best adventures were the lower level ones.  

Anyway, I also didn't like WoW because it was a cartoon.  EQ2 is fun but I don't have the same sense of awe and wonder I did back in the early EQ days.  Thinking about trying DDO if for no other reason than to see if it has some of that awe and wonder.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:25 pm 

zhowar wrote:Was it Adventure aka ADVENT aka Colossal Cave? I believe it was a forerunner of Zork.

There's a whole web page dedicated to its history here:
http://www.rickadams.org/adventure/

Thanks.  Colossal Cave sort of rings a bell.  But that name might have been after the event.  It was definitely 1975/6-ish.
<reads link>I definitely knew it as Adventure.  And played on a DEC PDP-10 iirc.
Deadlord39 wrote:Oh wait, Adventure had the dwarf axeman, that's right. Songbird in a cage that scares off the snake, etc.

Oh yes, I forgot about that bit.  And there's probably loads of other bits.  Like the magic word izzy wizzy (UK joke) or something like that.

Goes off to start Googling

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossal_Cave_Adventure

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:11 pm 

Been playing MMRPGs for years and, having played DaoC, WoW and EQ2, I'm sad to report that D&D online is really not very good at all. I'm gutted I was really hoping for something special for a game that, in alot of ways, started the whole genre. Not going to bother to post the reasons why (altho if people really want to know I can give you a run-down on why it sucks so mightily!).

I've never known any pen and paper roleplayer abandon his real-life game to play one online and nor do I ever expect to. It's my rather jaded (and self-righteous!) opinion that if you'd rather play with a bunch of people who you've never met than meet up some with buddies for a drink, something nice to eat and some damn good fun than you were never a real player in truest sense in the first place. Just my 2 cents/2 pence/2 cp. Feel free to disagree with me I'm a disagreeable sort of person at times! :)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:32 pm 

fyi:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/27/arts/ ... 0&emc=eta1

Starts as follows:

Dungeon Masters in Cyberspace

NY Times, February 27, 2006; by Seth Schiesel

Gary Gygax, the original dungeon master, can see as well as anyone how computers have changed the face of gaming. All he has to do is look down the hall at his home in Lake Geneva, Wis.

Three decades ago, when Mr. Gygax helped create the world's first role-playing game, Dungeons & Dragons, advanced game technology meant the exotic 20-sided dice players roll to determine if their imaginary sword has skewered the orc or manticore they are confronting.

Traditional D&D is still around (the noted role-player Vin Diesel wrote the adoring foreword to a 2004 book celebrating the game's 30th anniversary). But these days, aspiring wizards, druids and paladins are more likely to click and type their way through the evil necromancer's tower rather than huddle around a table casting spells between grabbing bites of pizza. In recent years, millions of people have flocked to rich online games that let players express their inner warlock without leaving home.

"My youngest son — he's 19 — even he stays up until 4 or 5 in the morning many times at the computer playing games like World of Warcraft," Mr. Gygax said recently, referring to one of the world's most successful online games, which could take in $1 billion in revenue this year. "The analogy I make is that pen-and-paper role-playing is live theater and computer games are television. People want the convenience and instant gratification of turning on the TV rather than getting dressed up and going out to see a live play. In the same way, the computer is a more immediately accessible way to play games."

So in classic if-you-can't-beat-'em, join-'em fashion, dozens of programmers and artists in a Boston suburb have spent more than three years trying to bring Dungeons & Dragons online. Many hardcore "old-school" players continue to turn up their noses at digital fare, yet even Mr. Gygax and D&D's other co-creator, Dave Arneson, have lent their voices to the new project. The new game, called, simply enough, Dungeons & Dragons Online, is to be released tomorrow.

(etc.)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:44 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:That's a long, long way from the days of pizza and Mountain Dew at mom's dining room table with four or five of your buddies ...

Oh, good lord, now I've quoted myself twice in the last five minutes. Could I be a bigger loser?*

I just wanted to clarify this one sentence, as it makes it sound as if I'm very enthusiastic about the direction that D&D Online is taking with the game we all know and love.

I'm actually not making a judgment either way, good or bad. I was trying to say that the actual forms of playing — dining room table in 1980, online with strangers in 2006 — are almost polar opposites. So by "long, long way," I'm actually talking about distance. Or something.

+++++

* Chandler Bing voice

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:50 pm 

I remember the first Pool of Radiance, too, and loved it.  I actaully STILL play it time to time, on this computer (yes, the original POR, not the new one).

I do plan to play D&D Online.  And, have been waiting for years to do so.  Never played EQ or any other MMORPG as yet - cause I want it to feel new and fresh.

I, too, wish it were Greyhawk, or even Forgotten Realms, but I will play the new, 3.5 based, Eberron thing, just to see what it's like.  I hope it's good, but have nothing to compare it against, as I have not gamed online, ever.  (though I played a lot of Civ of the years, on my computer).

Do you think this launch is a precursor to, perhaps, Greyhawk Online?  (I sure hope so!!)

Marcus King
Titan Games - OWNER
269-963-3773

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:59 pm 

One thing I would like to point out is that with the online games most people do not play with complete strangers.  Most of the time you play with people you have come to know and trust.  They may not live around the block from you, but online that doesn't prevent them from setting out on a mission together.  I personally would rather go do something solo than mix it up with a group of folks I totally don't know.  However, I will caveat that with the point that from time to time I do meet new people and go do things with them even though we haven't been buddies for a long time.

I like what the online world can do in that realm.  Growing up I lived way out in the country.  I often tried to play D&D with me being both DM and players.  Yeah I know, kind of lame.  But it was that or nothing.

The thing I really miss in the online is the DM.  The storyline can be automated and the mechanics of fighting an orc can be automated.  However, when you want to do something inventive or if you need a little guidance, or (heaven forbid) there is an error in the material, there's no one there to smooth things out.  If a little zest needs to be added, there's no one there.  If things need to be toned down or beefed up to make it more exciting, there's no one there.  I miss the DM when online.

That in my mind is the huge swing from old school gaming.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:17 pm 

Titan Games Owner wrote:Do you think this launch is a precursor to, perhaps, Greyhawk Online?  (I sure hope so!!)

If there was ever a Greyhawk Online, I would never leave the house. I'd just have everything delivered ...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:42 pm 

Are you allowed to give and receive items with other people?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:24 pm 

johnhuck wrote:Like the magic word izzy wizzy (UK joke) or something like that.

The magic word was "XYZZY".  Its a great word.  I still use it in my coding to mark sections of code that need work.  I've also used it as triggers for easter eggs on a few of my websites.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:26 pm 

Titan Games Owner wrote:I remember the first Pool of Radiance, too, and loved it.  I actaully STILL play it time to time, on this computer (yes, the original POR, not the new one).

I do plan to play D&D Online.  And, have been waiting for years to do so.  Never played EQ or any other MMORPG as yet - cause I want it to feel new and fresh.

I, too, wish it were Greyhawk, or even Forgotten Realms, but I will play the new, 3.5 based, Eberron thing, just to see what it's like.  I hope it's good, but have nothing to compare it against, as I have not gamed online, ever.  (though I played a lot of Civ of the years, on my computer).

Do you think this launch is a precursor to, perhaps, Greyhawk Online?  (I sure hope so!!)

If D&D online is the first MMORPG you've played then it has loads to offer. Al of my resevrvations are due to the fact there are parts of other games that *should* have been implemented imho. If you're not used to those features in MMORPGs then you'll never miss them! Go ahead and enjoy :)

For my money you can't beat Dark age of Camelot as the player vs. player element is, with a few minor class imbalance issues, the best implemented system in an MMORPG thanks in no small part to major battles frequently being three sided affairs!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:26 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Finally, I'm curious if any Neverwinter / Baldur's Gate / Torment players have any interest in D&D Online? I don't feel that it's really my cup of tea, but I'm curious as to what others are thinking.

Yeah, I'm interested, but only to get a visual on Eberron without having to collect it.
If I was to seriously play an online game, my body probably couldn't handle going to work, so I'd have to sell myself on the corner for money (eeeww....not a pretty visual).

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:56 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Are you allowed to give and receive items with other people?

do you mean in online games like EQ ? yes, unless they have some designation ( In EQ it's called "no drop" ) .

PreviousNext