Tonya and Old Sardul 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
All Three 12%       12%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 26

Author

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:25 am 

Here is a poll to find out (you may need to check old feedbacks, I know I had to)

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:45 am 

Shane, you forgot to put in an option for *none of the above*.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:49 am 

I never buy from Titan Games anymore. I miss ol' Quincey. But after he left, it went downhill. The last time I bought from Titan I bought the OD&D 1974 rules--an early printing with "hobbits" and "balrogs". I emailed Titan to ensure that this was indeed an early printing. I asked them to please physically check the books to make sure they said "hobbit" and "balrog". They assured me they did, so I bought them.

I got them in the mail, and there were no hobbits or balrogs anywhere!  :x  I was hopping mad. These guys outright lied to me. Either they looked at the books and lied to me about their contents, or they lied to me about looking. And that's not all.

I emailed them and they said they'd refund my purchase price plus whatever is cost me to ship the set back. It cost me $7 to ship it back, plus the pain in the neck. I got my purchase price back, but they never gave me my $7. I phoned them, and the woman who answered was pretty curt with me and said they'd mailed me the $7 awhile back, and said they'd mail it to me again.

I never got it.

And Titan has never (and will never) get my business again.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:49 am 

I swear I did, but polls must only allow so many options..hum

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:51 am 

If you buy from one, aren't you actually buying from all 3?
Is Marcus suffering from multiple personality disorder, and is he actually Marcus/Tonya/Brian?

The answers to these and many more questions in the next episode of As the Acaeum Turns.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:35 pm 

Sounds like a great bunch of people :evil: , I will never buy from them.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:18 pm 

I bought some stuff back in the late 90s from Titan but I think Quincy owned then.  Bought a OD&D box set and a Dragon #1 in fact and they were nice.  I never bought anything off them since then up until just recently I bought a set of Spell Compediums (Priest and Wizard) supposedly in near mint shape.  The shipping was $18.  I thought it was high but needed the books (in NM shape), so I paid.  They came quickly and were well packed but I felt they had been overgraded.  I decided then it would be my last purchase, esp. when both Dragonstrove and NobleKnight are around-  and both excellent.  I've also used the Hitpointe, slow on shipping but always accurately graded.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:25 pm 

My funny Titan Games story:

Back in 2004 at Milwaukee Gamefest they were set up right across the aisle from where Gary was "holding court" so to speak.  Since that's where I was most of the weekend I had the occasion to walk over and check out the inventory.  This was my first brush with Titan, mind, and I was shocked at some of the prices I saw.  Non-SW'ed pastel C1s for $25?!  

I did end up buying a copy of Supplement IV: Gods, Demigods and Heroes from them to get Rob Kuntz to autograph for me - IIRC that cost an arm and a leg (the purchase, not the autograph).

The real hilarity came while I was parusing their 1e hardbacks.  A copy of the excerable Manual of the Planes was going for $60.  Sixty bucks! and a better condition true 1st Monster Manual would set you back a single Jackson.  Had I known then what I was looking at when I opened the book and saw the red flyleaves, I'd have bought all three copies they had. :twisted:

My last brush with Titan came when I emailed them regarding their whole "WE'RE BUYING EVERYTHING!  SELL TO US!"...I've got a copy of Ardath Mayhar's The Sword and the Dagger, which is one of the first Battletech novels writte.  Ms. Mayhar has requested that the book be withdrawn from print, so copies go anywhere from $75-$175.  So I emailed  Titan and said "Hey, I've got a copy of this book.  You've got a few in stock listed here with (stock number).  Just so you know what I'm talking about.  I can take photos, scan images, etc. to give you an idea of the quality."

Their response?  "WE PAY .75 FOR PAPERBACK NOVELS." (yes, it was all caps).  :roll:

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:27 pm 

Please, before you decide never to patronise "Old Sardul" on ebay, just take a moment to check my feedback!

That is a personal sideline of mine which I've run for years, and has nothing to do with my day job at Titan / Tonya's games.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:30 pm 

Geoffrey wrote:I never buy from Titan Games anymore. I miss ol' Quincey. But after he left, it went downhill. The last time I bought from Titan I bought the OD&D 1974 rules--an early printing with "hobbits" and "balrogs". I emailed Titan to ensure that this was indeed an early printing. I asked them to please physically check the books to make sure they said "hobbit" and "balrog". They assured me they did, so I bought them.

I got them in the mail, and there were no hobbits or balrogs anywhere!  :x  I was hopping mad. These guys outright lied to me. Either they looked at the books and lied to me about their contents, or they lied to me about looking. And that's not all.

I emailed them and they said they'd refund my purchase price plus whatever is cost me to ship the set back. It cost me $7 to ship it back, plus the pain in the neck. I got my purchase price back, but they never gave me my $7. I phoned them, and the woman who answered was pretty curt with me and said they'd mailed me the $7 awhile back, and said they'd mail it to me again.

I never got it.

And Titan has never (and will never) get my business again.

Have a similar tale of woe. They had listed in their new items Tegel Manor in bag JG00027. The price was $25 so I went for it. As you may have guess I get my package from them and open it to find the Gamescience version. The one you can still buy from Noble Knight for $12.95. I got my $25 back but was out shipping both way. Needless to say they got my shipping money in the long run it has cost them much more than that in lost business.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:43 pm 

Did you know that Titan Games ran the Origins convention Game Auction for a couple of years? And may do so again?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:11 pm 

Old_Sardul wrote:Please, before you decide never to patronise "Old Sardul" on ebay, just take a moment to check my feedback!

That is a personal sideline of mine which I've run for years, and has nothing to do with my day job at Titan / Tonya's games.

I really have no involvement with any of the parties discussed, however, in the interests of fairness, I would like to point out that I have never heard of anything negative said about Old_Sardul.  His feedback is excellent he has been more than polite (and tolerant) with everyone on the Acaeum.  

For the record . . . here is his feedback:

Feedback Profile

A quick scan of his feedback will also reveal several Acaeum members/RPG collectors who have purchased from him before.

Whatever his relationship with others (whether criticism of them is justified or not), he shouldn't have to explain anything or defend the actions of others.  After all, he is ultimately only able to speak out about his own business when it comes to ebay.  I hope all of you will keep that in mind.

Paul

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:08 pm 

I used to order from Titan all the time, back when I used them and Dragon's Trove and the rec.games group to fill in the gaps in my collection.

But starting with the "eBay era" — not so much. There's just too many halfway decent people out there who I'd rather buy from. And now, as I've made clear elsewhere, neither Titan nor Tonya will ever, ever, ever see another penny from me.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:53 pm 

Old_Sardul wrote:Please, before you decide never to patronise "Old Sardul" on ebay, just take a moment to check my feedback!

As stated Brian is not related to the Kings.  I've bought and dealt with him many times with no problems.

Mike B.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:59 pm 

Regarding the original question, I've purchased from Tonya before.  I forget what, something relatively minor.  The transaction went off without a hitch, though shipping may have been a touch high if I recall.  However, with this latest outburst, I'm unlikely to do so again.  

Lesson:  Customers talk.  Treat them all with respect.

YIM  

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:37 pm 

I used to buy quite a bit from Quincey (what has happened to him, he was still selling stuff for a while after he sold out...??) I have bought some stuff from Titan since, however my last big order was, hmm, not as I expected... I bought some magazines with the mailing covers still attached at a PREMIUM described as NM, however, some had writing on them, some damaged, one with the cover ripped off and only half there.. and while most of the magazines are in pretty good shape some clearly were not, result, felt shitted off and i have not made a large order with them in a while, and, when i do next buy something I'll be even more careful sending emails about the goods before I order (yes I will prob buy again) ... This of course is not the ideal situation, with Aaron (Noble Knight Games) I have never had a problem with grading, packaging  etc so I just buy buy buy. Maybe it has something thing to do with with the fact that Quincey and Aaron are gamers in business selling rpgs. and are not a business selling rpg to gamers? Marcus from memory is(?) a gamer but not sells just about everything as well as rpg's.. novels, computer games, tapes?, etc etc...

I personally don't care what people try and sell their stock for, if you are willing to pay high prices you do, if you are not it will just stick in their inventory until either someone does or they drop the price to a more reasonable price. JUST SO LONG AS THE DESCRIPTION IS ACCURATE SO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE PAYING FOR! If i am expected to buy items at a premium, I expect premium service and not haveing to worry about exactly what the item is like! I also HATE people that try and get 2 bites of the cherry and overcharge (significantly) on postage. Previous Ebay auctions run by Marcus and Tonya have generally fallen into this catagory, there have been cuite a few items I would have bid on, but postage costs were unrealistic. The result: if customers believe that they are not getting value for money they will shop elsewere. You only have to look at previous posts to see what some are spending on our collections, I know that I spend prob at least $2000 a year just in online shops (not including ebay) at this stage 99% would not be going to Titan, just how many others out there are doing that I don't know, but even a small change in buying habits can affect a business significantly, and of course bad news travels faster than good...

Brette:)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:12 pm 

beasterbrook wrote:be even more careful sending emails about the goods before I order (yes I will prob buy again)

You know its bad when you follow up your own posts... after reading the shady dealers thread, Tonyas ebay auctions are offically off the list of poeple I buy off.. Brian (Sardal) on the other hand seems like a reasonable fellow, so if I buy any more stuff I'll go through him...

Brette:)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:35 pm 

I bid on something from the tonyasswapshop once, but was outbid.

Next