Question re: Tonya for anyone at Titan
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:33 pm 

Mr King,

I don't believe I have had the pleasure of buying from your company. Certainly in recent years my judgement has been swayed by the continual bad press that you and your daughter attract. However, I can see from what you have written that they are two separate business entities.

Could you tell me whether your daughter's business practaces are modelled upon your own, or whether you operate different policies when dealing with your eBay customers?

At the moment it would appear that Tonya creates the bulk of the problem, and that it is reflected back onto Titan Games by association. Does that concern you?

Ian

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:17 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:As a final note, I'll add that it doesn't matter whether it was Tonya or Melissa (and wasn't Meslissa's name Allan at one point?) who was lying about the cancer — the entire episode is completely offensive on a number of levels and should not be anywhere near a public "About Me" page.

well just as a further point on that of course, in business, the employer is ALWAYS responsible for the actions of the employee, no matter what they are.

so instead of sitting there and blaming anything and everything in sight, the most respected way of dealing with it is to put right everything personally. doing that will not only regain lost confidence in business dealings, but also the confidence in your buyers, who will appreciate the efforts made and will likely come back and buy again. goodwill always wins the day.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:42 am 

Badmike wrote:I really feel if your daughter had just come clean on this either here or in her About Me page on Ebay, a lot of misdirected vitriol would have dried up before ever being spewed.  This is the reason I don't have employees in my business unless they are family.  I think everyone can relate better to someone that has been screwed around by a dishonest employee than one who gets into email wars with customers and tosses out "Cyber Stalker" and "Moron" on replies to negative feedback.

Two issues here, BadMike:
First, Melissa was lying her arse off about her condition, but she left abruptly, and Tonya was holding the bag on at least 2 dozen orders where the printed invoices were simply thrown away, lost, eaten or something.  Tonya wanted to know what to say on her about me page, and I don't think saying what she and I knew about Melissa was appropriate.  Ultimately, she posted something very neutral about her ALLEGED condition without calling into question M's integrity.

Second:  Tonya has been stalked, and has a hair trigger about it.  The one guy went so far as to hack her AOL account, and sign her up for hundreds of newlsetters are hundreds of sites, all of which filled her inbox with unwanted updates.  AOL allows you to have 1000 emails in your box, and Tonya's was filling up so fast that paypal payments and customer questions were BOUNCING, and this, of course, caused more problems.

It went so far I had to call the man, in Florida, on the phone and appeal to him to please QUIT harassing my daughter.

Ultimately, there are things you can say in your ABOUT ME page, and there are things you SHOULD NOT say in your about me page, and I think Tonya should NOT mention that Melissa lied about her condition.  She followed my advice, and this mess on the forums is what resulted.

I was astonished at the anger, cruelty and meanness directed at my daughter here by people who never met her, or only saw her at a con for a few moments.  I really thought gamers were better than that.

As for S&H fee's:  My company tries to not overcharge on S&H, but we do charge for both shipping AND HANDLING.  Usually $3 per order for handling is what we try to hit.

Tonya (and Titan-Games ebay) has to charge more, cause most of her overhead is covered by the handling fee.  She is a college student, and doesn't get much time to do anything except attend class, study and work - she has to have an assistant doing her listings, and one doing her packing.  The lister does get paid for every item that sells.  And, the packer gets about $1 per aucton packed - so, 4 small moduels add up to about $8 handling fee's, which in the long run means the packer and lister make about $8 an hour (obviously, the lister has other duties, such as photographing, writing descriptions and stuff, so he gets up about 12 listings an hour, of which about 2/3rds sell.  The packer has to pull items, and prepare them for packing, so they do about 7 to 9 auctions an hour.

Would you work for less?  Nobody is getting rich on this.  Tonya is paying for her schooling, and I am expanding my company a bit, and paying my bills on time.  However, I cannot even afford health care.  I sure ain't lowering my prices.

And, frankly guys, THE ACAEUM crowd is NOT the customer base for either of our eBay sales groups.  YOU guys would not buy another A1 module in "fine" (beat up) Condition, would you?  That is what Tonya sells, and is still a lot of what Titan-Games sells on eBay - overstocked common OOP items, that would not really interest "serious" collectors.

Tonyas-Games and Titan-Games sell to casual gamers and beginning collectors.  If you check the auctions for Titan you will often see a rash of items that are on auction with a 1¢ opening bid.  If not for S&H, those items would be awfully painful to sell (and frankly, we sell them as an alternative to throwing them away - which is what we do with them when they don't sell - and yes, there are things we put up at 1¢ that don't sell).

Anyway, I appreciate your interest in my and my daughters operations.  But, please - remember, she is my child.  And, frankly, anyone who walked up to me and called her ugly, or a gully dwarf, would be picking up their teeth with broken fingers (or, perhaps I would be picking up mine).

Is there a man here, who would not be offended, even enraged, by people belittling their children?  

Again, my phone number:
877-542-6377
[email protected]

Thanks

Marcus King
Titan Games Owner

Marcus King
Titan Games - OWNER
269-963-3773

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:54 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Mr King,

I don't believe I have had the pleasure of buying from your company. Certainly in recent years my judgement has been swayed by the continual bad press that you and your daughter attract. However, I can see from what you have written that they are two separate business entities.

Could you tell me whether your daughter's business practaces are modelled upon your own, or whether you operate different policies when dealing with your eBay customers?

At the moment it would appear that Tonya creates the bulk of the problem, and that it is reflected back onto Titan Games by association. Does that concern you?

Ian

Ian, First I would say that both Titan-Games (ebay) and Tonyas-Games operate on many of the same principals.  The policies about feedback, combination of S&H charges, and some other things are identical.  If you are primarily concerned with paying as little as possible, then please shop elsewhere.  As a businessman, I want customers who will pay what I charge, not those who want to argue about prices, and policies.

Secondly: Both have nearly identical return policies, as does my online store titangames.com, which is:  If you buy it, and don't like it, return it for a refund of your purchase price (not the S&H fee).  If it is unsuitable due to condition (say we graded it as NM, and you get it and say "This is only XF, not NM!") we will take a return for full refund of your entire purchase cost (price plus our S&H fee).  If we send you the wrong item (happens sometimes) then return that and get your return postage refunded as well (usually up to $4 for US buyers, but that is flexible on larger items).

Tonya's problems stem from 3 things>
A.  Her mention of Melissa - that was perhaps MY fault, as I kind of guided her hand on that one.  Perhaps she should just not have mentioned it at all.  But, since Melissa's "condition" was being talked about in Tonya's weekly newsletter, Tonya wanted to address it, and I thought she did a good job.

B.  Tonya's mouth.  This is a kid raised by me, and ex Drill Sergeant, and 12 year active duty US Army Infantryman, Platoon Sergent, etc.  As she told me last week when she moved out of the house "I've taken all the shit off of men I need for this lifetime, Dad".  So, could she be a bit more cordial?  Yes.  However, I honestly do believe that she treats most people REALLY well, until they either insult or threaten her.  YMMV.

C.  S&H fee's.  Again, the Acaeum is not her target market.  She sells a rare item now and then, but mostly just drek that she picks up here and there, dead products that we could not sell on titangames.com, and overstock she purchases from (or is given by) me.  I think she may have recently sold a T1-4 module, without a map.  It is a more scarce module, but it was heavily marked up, and we could not get $40 out of it on our website, which is why she got it.

Ultimately, I am not objective on what Tonya's faults are.  However, in advising her on her sales and such, my advice has been to attempt to sell to people who don't mind paying more for S&H, and to people who are not picky collectors.  Cause she needs the extra cash, and she doesn't get the type of products that picky collectors want.

Marcus King
Titan Games Owner
269-963-3773
[email protected]

Marcus King
Titan Games - OWNER
269-963-3773

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:01 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Tonya's entire business ethic is downright offensive. Lest we forget the $20 she wanted to ship a single sheet of paper to the UK, or the $34 she asked for to ship two modules.

One can only guess at how they arrive at those figures. I understand that the 'staff' are given the cost of shipping and are then insentivised by being told that anything over and above the actual cost of shipping they get as a 'bonus'.

On overprice of $24 on shipping is down to an over enthusiastic staff member.

Well, both of those are just stupid.
The problem is when you have an assistant (Melissa or Allan) who does your listings, who use a template for a large BOXED game, and then list a small light item, and don't care enough to change the S&H fee on the template.

Yup, it is a problem both Tonya and Titan-Games (eBay) have battled.  Titan Games does not get this much, as my full time eBay seller is a sharp guy.  Smart, and he cares about the job he does.  

Tonya is now listing less, and her new assistant I think will turn things around.  

However, of note:  $13 is the usual price for any international item that is light (say a "Fighters Handbook" or less in size.  $15 for a larger book, or a hardcover.  

Part of this is the way eBay works.  The seller gets to quote one rate for international airmail (and one for surface, if they want).  You cannot quote by the destination (which is STUPID) so if you quote $9 cause you can ship it to Canada for $7, then you are screwed when a customer in China buys it.

Fortunately, most buyers don't argue about S&H fee's.  Unfortunately, making a stupid mistake like saying an A1 module is $32 to ship internationally is  careless mistake, but makes one look really stupid, or greedy.  And, Tonya is not stupid (and not OVERLY greedy).

Anyway, I suspect that the new eBay seller Tonya is using will do a MUCH better job of keeping those stupid mistakes to a minimum.

Marcus King
Titan Games - OWNER
269-963-3773

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:37 am 

$9.50 to ship overseas flat-rate.
Marcus, there's something a bit fishy here. Are you saying Tonya has so many RPG books that she needs a dedicated person to PICK them? I think that might be a bit farfetched.
The personal attacks really didn't crop up until the Melissa thing happened. Are you saying Tonya made the statements KNOWING Melissa was lying? Or did she make them thinking she wasn't? Either way, it's pretty bad.
personally, I don't particularly care if you guys rape people on shipping. If I bid on something from you, I figure the exact cost of shipping, subtract it from actual charged shipping, and that is the "rape fee". I deduct the rape fee from my max bid, and that sums it up. If I get outbid, either someone else really wanted it, or they don't mind taking it up the can. Not my concern. Whatever item it was, I'll see it again, and probably MUCH cheaper.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:56 am 

I am curious about all this, she has a packer and a lister who make there money with handling fees?  This is very weird, what does Tonya actually do then?  Just collect the cash?  Man I wish I had somebody to do all the work for me.  Funny when I list stuff I take responsiblity for everything with those listings!  I list them, pack them, leave feedback, e-mail, everthing!!

I really do have a full time job!

I really do have a family with three kids!

I have had 2 complaints on over 8 years (both by whacos mind you)

I also take all the responsiblity for them as well!!

Tonya and Titan are lucky to have any business!  I know they will never have mine.

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:06 am 

I'm a newbie here, so take this for what it's worth:

Thank you, Marcus, for adding some badly-needed personal and business explanations.  Now people have a more complete framework on which to hang Tonya's behavior and reasoning.

I was astonished at the anger, cruelty and meanness directed at my daughter here by people who never met her, or only saw her at a con for a few moments. I really thought gamers were better than that.

A pattern of bad business conduct was emerging, and she was being called on that.  Invoking cancer was the flashpoint that made it all personal.  Angry people do angry things.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:24 am 

Titan Games Owner wrote:

Part of this is the way eBay works.  The seller gets to quote one rate for international airmail (and one for surface, if they want).  You cannot quote by the destination (which is STUPID) so if you quote $9 cause you can ship it to Canada for $7, then you are screwed when a customer in China buys it.

Marcus,

I'm posting this in case it helps your future auctions.  Within the last year, ebay made a change to international shipping.  (if you are using Turbo Lister maybe you didn't notice?).  You can add up to 3 International options and choose specific countries.

Here is an example of one of my listings:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

With this method, I can list the Global Rate worldwide using a Flat Rate envelope and also the Flat Rate envelope to Canada and Airmail to Canada.

In order to cover myself on heavier items to countries that don't use a Global Flat rate, I add the little addendum under payment instructions.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:44 am 

Blackmoor wrote:I am curious about all this, she has a packer and a lister who make there money with handling fees?  This is very weird, what does Tonya actually do then?  Just collect the cash?  Man I wish I had somebody to do all the work for me.  Funny when I list stuff I take responsiblity for everything with those listings!  I list them, pack them, leave feedback, e-mail, everthing!!

Tonya and Titan are lucky to have any business!  I know they will never have mine.

J

I was thinking the same thing.  

I've been trading on ebay since 1998-99 or there abouts and have children a full time job, family, and two time consuming hobbies - gaming and playing guitar, but list all of my auctions myself and pack and ship all of my stuff myself, etc.  Now granted I don't have the 1,000s of games that Titan has nor the number of auctions, but its not like its that hard to manage ebay selling and if you are really overwhelmed then maybe cutting back or finding another line of work would be better.

The thing that bugs me about the explanations is the the agruement that those on this board aren't the customer base they are looking for, that makes no sense - I'm a member, a collector, but do buy "common" items.  I own very few rare items, and nothing ultra rare or uber cool. But I still care about the condition, and  IMO the grading system at Titan is misleading - you can buy a Fine or Xtra Fine item and its still may have inscriptions, be used, etc and such, to me they have way to many middle of the road condition names - and if you look the stuff they have that is NM or better is very small.  

After reading the response and the defense of some of the things typed in the ebay feedback I can't see myself ever buying from them again.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:07 am 

I think alot of sellers have read some book by Greedy McAssbag that told them they can make more money buy selling items cheap but making a big profit on "Handling Charges" since ebay doesn't get a cut on shipping. In our experience having cheap shipping gets more return bidders and the items make up for any "handling charge" we could have stuck the buyer with. Also this practice gets WAY more return business and loyal customers. Check our feedback if you have any doubts. :)

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d ... =burntwire

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:18 am 

Blackmoor wrote:

J

Tonya has: Full time classes, I think 15 credits this semester, but not sure.  She has a boyfriend who lives 3 hours a way, who is a cop, and has a crazy schedule.  She has a nearly full time (30+) hours a week job at the college.  She works for me part time (20 hours a week), and she has just moved out on her own (and I am really emotionally upset about my little girl moving out, so hypersensitive about it, k?).  Tonya also wants to have friends, outside gaming, and has two new girlfriends she want to hang out with, and likes to read stupid books (French History, for gawds sake!).

Tonya and Titan have a lot of business, and we would love to have yours, too.  We sell to different customer bases, through different venues.  We sell on eBay, we have titangames.com where our S&H fee's are much lower, and which is ran by Mister Brian Collins, whom - honestly, you are going to go a LONG way to find someone more interested in giving good service.  We have 3FREEGAMES.com, where our S&H rates are a flat fee - many times you guy 4 heavy books, pay $5.65 for S&H, and it costs us $7 to ship (and more for labor) but where the items are purchased at such a rate that we can afford to eat some shipping and labor costs.  We attend the big cons within driving distance of us (gencon, origins, dragoncon, motor city comiccon, etc) and sell all sorts of stuff at cons.  We also have a retail store.

To be faid, Blackmoor, you are not our target customer.  You would be interested in less than 2% of what we sell, and you are more net savvy than our target consumer.

But, my opinion has always been:  We are not selling insulin to diabetics (me being a diabetic, don't FLAME me on that, okay?).  We are selling games.  Some customers are happy to buy with inflated S&H fee's, cause they found what they wanted, and we DO PACK BETTER THAN MOST, and also track every package to it's destination.

So, while I am sorry you won't buy from us, I don't really expect you'd find much you'd like.  Want a PLAY copy of X1 Aisle of Dread (My personal favorite module of all time!)?  Then we can help you.  Want an R1?  Not likely, but we get one every couple years or so (but, again, don't sell them on Ebay.

For those who don't understand how our sales work, I will make another post in a moment explaining our "process"

Thanks

Marcus King

Marcus King
Titan Games - OWNER
269-963-3773

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:19 am 

burntwire brothers wrote:I think alot of sellers have read some book by Greedy McAssbag that told them they can make more money buy selling items cheap but making a big profit on "Handling Charges" since ebay doesn't get a cut on shipping. In our experience having cheap shipping gets more return bidders and the items make up for any "handling charge" we could have stuck the buyer with. Also this practice gets WAY more return business and loyal customers. Check our feedback if you have any doubts. :)

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d ... =burntwire

I was going to post, but you took the words outta my mouth.  People hate "handling".  It doesn't matter why, just accept that they do.  Raise prices as necessary to cover your costs, and people won't complain.

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:24 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:$9.50 to ship overseas flat-rate.
Marcus, there's something a bit fishy here. Are you saying Tonya has so many RPG books that she needs a dedicated person to PICK them? I think that might be a bit farfetched.
The personal attacks really didn't crop up until the Melissa thing happened. Are you saying Tonya made the statements KNOWING Melissa was lying? Or did she make them thinking she wasn't? Either way, it's pretty bad.
personally, I don't particularly care if you guys rape people on shipping. If I bid on something from you, I figure the exact cost of shipping, subtract it from actual charged shipping, and that is the "rape fee". I deduct the rape fee from my max bid, and that sums it up. If I get outbid, either someone else really wanted it, or they don't mind taking it up the can. Not my concern. Whatever item it was, I'll see it again, and probably MUCH cheaper.

I don't know what you mean by pick them.  Tonya has someone who picks the orders as the items sell.  I will explain more about that in an upcoming post (we use the exact same process for Titan-Games eBay).

Tonya and I both knew Melissa was lying when the post was made, which I believe has been taken down by Tonya now.  It was difficult for us, honestly, never thought about that situation.  Tonya was paying Melissa even when she was not working, due to thinking she was sick.  So did I for several weeks.  Then, we found out it was all a big lie.  We felt betrayed, and sick to our stomachs that we had been duped.  So, Melissa was quitting due to her illness (in fact she simply went to work as an exotic dancer, if you can believe that, which was the job I hired her from initially).  Anyway, we bungled it, but it was difficult to know what to say.  Perhaps "NOTHING" would have been a better plan, but it was hard to see that as the right thing at the time.  Sorry.

I do agree with your assessment of how to bid.  Rarely will Tonya have a rare item for a serious collector to bid on, but if she does, simply take the S&H fee into account,a nd bid accordingly.

Thanks for asking, by the way,

marcus

Marcus King
Titan Games - OWNER
269-963-3773

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:40 am 

Okay, I buy used games.  Variety of sources, including several retailers around the country who simply buy used RPGs for less than I do, then sell to me.  I buy collections from collectors, and back stock from publishers, and close outs from booths at cons, and distributors liquidations.  I buy it all, big and small.

Then: We list the items on TitanGames.com - always on Titan Games first (except when we buy big lots of multiple of the same title).

When we buy multiples of the same title, we split them up between titangames.com, 3freegames.com and Titan-Games on eBay.  I also may give some, or sell some, to Tonya.

Okay.  The stuff on the website (titangames.com) is in a large room with 4 banks of shelves, that are 5 rows tall.  The items are listed in a random sequence and given a 6-digit code by Mister Collins.  These numbers are put on the bag, or on a post it, and put on the items, and put into magazine boxes, and cataloged in the order of listing.  Later, when someone orders the item, we simply pull them by the number.  So, items are stored in the order by which they are listed - D&D stuff is not with other D&D stuff, etc.  

As the shelves filled up, we found we had to make a decision:  More shelves, or eventually delete things off the site.  Initially, Quincey (former owner) just kept adding stuff.  We decided to cull the shelves every 2 to 3 weeks by taking DOWN the oldest shelf full of stuff, and liquidating it - and Tonyas-Games was born by my selling those items to my daughter cheaply.  later, when we were pulling down so many items, we needed two sellers, I hired a full time seller to do that, too.

Then, the shelf that is now empty, gets filled by Mister Collins' efforts at listing new items.  Recently, we have begun putting more and more NEW items onto TitanGames.com site, too.  Used to be about 98% used, now it is about 90% used (which is to say we put up 5 times as much new stuff as we used to, but still just a minority of our items on titangames.com are new).

This is how the flow of merchandise comes through our company.

The more and more I think of it, the more convinced I am that perhaps I should just HIRE tonya to run tonyas-games as a subsidiary of titan games, just like the guy who runs titan-games on eBay does - I will speak to her about that tonight, actually.

I explain this process to make a couple points:
First:  Titan Games . com is not overcharging on S&H - we generally make $3 per order on handling, regardless of size.  We do indeed reuse some boxes, but MOST of our orders go out in boxes purchased for that purpose - and at a cost of about $1.37 per box (we buy about 800 boxes per month for all of our combined shipping needs).  And, we have a packer who comes in to pack daily.  We try to get Titan Games orders out within 48 hours - these packages take priority over other labor concerns.  You pay more for the items (full MSRP on most stuff that is new).  And we also try to pack the 3freegames orders in the same timeframe.

I would guess that most people on this forum might find a few items a month on Titan Games . com worth their interest, and maybe 2 or 3 items a year on our eBay sales.  After all, most of the good stuff sells on titangames.com and never see's the light of eBay.

Wow, hope this post was not too long to fit in.....

Marcus King
Titan Games - OWNER
269-963-3773

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:20 pm 

Titan Games Owner wrote:>>
  I really feel if your daughter had just come clean on this either here or in her About Me page on Ebay, a lot of misdirected vitriol would have dried up before ever being spewed.  This is the reason I don't have employees in my business unless they are family.  I think everyone can relate better to someone that has been screwed around by a dishonest employee than one who gets into email wars with customers and tosses out "Cyber Stalker" and "Moron" on replies to negative feedback. <<

Two issues here, BadMike:
First, Melissa was lying her arse off about her condition, but she left abruptly, and Tonya was holding the bag on at least 2 dozen orders where the printed invoices were simply thrown away, lost, eaten or something.  Tonya wanted to know what to say on her about me page, and I don't think saying what she and I knew about Melissa was appropriate.  Ultimately, she posted something very neutral about her ALLEGED condition without calling into question M's integrity.

Second:  Tonya has been stalked, and has a hair trigger about it.  The one guy went so far as to hack her AOL account, and sign her up for hundreds of newlsetters are hundreds of sites, all of which filled her inbox with unwanted updates.  AOL allows you to have 1000 emails in your box, and Tonya's was filling up so fast that paypal payments and customer questions were BOUNCING, and this, of course, caused more problems.

It went so far I had to call the man, in Florida, on the phone and appeal to him to please QUIT harassing my daughter.

Ultimately, there are things you can say in your ABOUT ME page, and there are things you SHOULD NOT say in your about me page, and I think Tonya should NOT mention that Melissa lied about her condition.  She followed my advice, and this mess on the forums is what resulted.

I just think on the About Me page maybe too much information is worse than not enough.  Something along the lines of "I was decieved by a former employee and I am rectifying the situation now and making good" would have sufficed without bringing the cancer angle, real or faked, into the story.  Cancer is just such a hot button issue with so many people.  But it's a semantic point I realize, most excuses just sound like excuses, don't know if I can fault you either way knowing what we know now. I realize your daughter has issues with cyber stalking, but not every disgruntled buyer has the time or effort to do more than vent a little, in 99.9 percent of the cases that is probably all it is.  It doesn't do any good to label all of them Cyberstalkers and put it in writing in their feedback, it makes it look like overreacting.  

As for S&H fee's:  My company tries to not overcharge on S&H, but we do charge for both shipping AND HANDLING.  Usually $3 per order for handling is what we try to hit.

Tonya (and Titan-Games ebay) has to charge more, cause most of her overhead is covered by the handling fee.  She is a college student, and doesn't get much time to do anything except attend class, study and work - she has to have an assistant doing her listings, and one doing her packing.  The lister does get paid for every item that sells.  And, the packer gets about $1 per aucton packed - so, 4 small moduels add up to about $8 handling fee's, which in the long run means the packer and lister make about $8 an hour (obviously, the lister has other duties, such as photographing, writing descriptions and stuff, so he gets up about 12 listings an hour, of which about 2/3rds sell.  The packer has to pull items, and prepare them for packing, so they do about 7 to 9 auctions an hour.

Would you work for less?  Nobody is getting rich on this.  Tonya is paying for her schooling, and I am expanding my company a bit, and paying my bills on time.  However, I cannot even afford health care.  I sure ain't lowering my prices.

As I said in another post, besides maybe gas prices, shipping and handing fees will drive people nuts even if in the scheme of things it's only a few bucks.  The same people that think nothing of paying a premium for a shrinkwrapped module will scream holy murder if gas has gone up 5 cents a gallon overnight. The same thing happens when they pay $10 for shipping and the package arrives with a $3 postal stamp.  I sell online and I know logically there is a reason for this...I have had long debates with my wife on shipping.  I had to raise my shipping this year mostly in reaction to higher postal prices. My wife does my taxes and tells me I am losing my ass on shippingand handling  because I don't charge enough.  There is such a fine line between what the buyer will accept and what you can charge to be profitable if you are running a business.  I know you have crunched the numbers and come up with something that would be acceptable to you, and frankly since you have a ton of customers most of your buyers don't disagree.  However, no matter how logically you arrive by these numbers it all comes down to someone seeing a $3 stamp on a package they know they paid $10 for, and that is going to make someone upset even thought they AGREED to pay that amount. Illogical it may be, but it's a viscereal emotional response that is just going to take place no matter what.  I guess like they say if you like sausage, don't go see it being made, the same with shipping fees.  

Anyway, I appreciate your interest in my and my daughters operations.  But, please - remember, she is my child.  And, frankly, anyone who walked up to me and called her ugly, or a gully dwarf, would be picking up their teeth with broken fingers (or, perhaps I would be picking up mine).

Is there a man here, who would not be offended, even enraged, by people belittling their children?  

It was not me who made the remarks, I would save venom like that for true criminals like Jonb or others.  And the suggestions I made were not flippant comments, they were made sincerely, take them as you wish.

Thanks for posting followups.

Mike B.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:18 pm 

burntwire brothers wrote:I think alot of sellers have read some book by Greedy McAssbag that told them they can make more money buy selling items cheap but making a big profit on "Handling Charges" since ebay doesn't get a cut on shipping.

This is an excellent point.

On your next trip to Barnes & Noble, take a look at how many "Make A Million on eBay" books are on the shelves. All of the "unauthorized" titles — and that's every one of them except for one — generally suggest that buyers are to be treated as mindless cattle, and should be happy to help the seller make his million by gleefully ponying up for extra shipping charges and, of course, the "H" word — "handling fees."

Whatever the hell those are. :?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:19 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:
burntwire brothers wrote:I think alot of sellers have read some book by Greedy McAssbag that told them they can make more money buy selling items cheap but making a big profit on "Handling Charges" since ebay doesn't get a cut on shipping.

This is an excellent point.

On your next trip to Barnes & Noble, take a look at how many "Make A Million on eBay" books are on the shelves. All of the "unauthorized" titles — and that's every one of them except for one — generally suggest that buyers are to be treated as mindless cattle, and should be happy to help the seller make his million by gleefully ponying up for extra shipping charges and, of course, the "H" word — "handling fees."

Whatever the hell those are. :?

There's only one profession in which charging "handling fees" is legit...

PreviousNext