When was the last time you played?
Poll: When was the last time you played D&D?

Poll ended at Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:30 am
Yesterday 7%       7%  [ 3 ]
Last week 35%       35%  [ 15 ]
Last month 9%       9%  [ 4 ]
Before Christmas 5%       5%  [ 2 ]
Last year sometime 9%       9%  [ 4 ]
A few years ago 2%       2%  [ 1 ]
Sometime in the 90's 16%       16%  [ 7 ]
Sometime in the 80's 14%       14%  [ 6 ]
Long, long, ago. Far away in a land.... 2%       2%  [ 1 ]
I've never played. I just collect this stuff. 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 43

Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:32 pm 

maybe time for another poll on why people haven't played ( no interest, time, people to play with, etc. ) :)

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:00 pm 

I suppose I should introduce myself a bit, as  a newbie to this.

I Dm'd from about 79-86 for our local group. Quite a few are still invovled. red_bus (now in Enlgand) my Best Man (good call),& DW (prosecutor extraordinaire, crims watch out).

Our pattern of playing is random at the moment (kids & family etc). Killyleagh was a bash for DW.

However, the other half my orignial group meet on a bi-annual basis for a bash (usually at Bushmills, Co Antrim). Odd to see the gamers who have found their separate avenues such as professor of ancient history & egyptology, finance director of nuclear power company, marine biologist & tv producer, all get down & dirty with some hard core modules.

the odd thing is that half of us were very keen sportsmen at school, unversity & beyond (some international honours amongst the group etc), but we all acknowledge that the best friendships we made were through gaming. Perhaps this is because the very nature of the hobby exposes more about your personality & morality than any sport.

The reason why I think this last point is relevant to the topic is that, having played in many sports teams & squads through the years I find it significant that it is the gamers who go out of their way to fly back to Ireland to meet up & play not the jocks.

Go figure.

Bzr

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:23 pm 

Marlith wrote:So long ago it makes me sad to think about it. The curse of CCGs and MMORPGs have caught me and the groups I used to play with. Someone would always try and coordinate a session but things always feel through. Had to kill the AoW, or prepare for the next MtG tournament.

Went through some old game notes once I got home. September 1991...I think I may go and find a pick up game this wekend.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:31 pm 

Had this link in my bookmarks for those trying to find groups:

http://dnd.meetup.com/

or if your near southern Mass send me a PM...we may be looking for a couple more soon.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:00 pm 

Last month for me, again within three weeks for sure.  AD&D :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:13 am 

The best and longest friendships of my life have involved AD&D.  

Even the players no longer active remain friends.  We get together every year (16 straight) for a Super Bowl party.

Mark

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

** Banned **

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:19 am 

Played this past Sunday for 6 hours at Dundracon. I'm also running a  group that has never played (well, one person did 15+ years ago) this weekend. Hopefully we will play once a month if not more...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:39 am 

How was DunDraCon, jpipes?  I was hoping to attend since I thought I'd be back in the Bay Area for business then, but that trip was delayed.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:00 pm 

Time is one reason I don't play much anymore.

But another is that I think it's hard to mesh the styles and expectations of people who grew up playing separately.  
What I mean is, my original group is pretty well scattered.  Trying to incorporate people who are experienced players who got their experience in a different group didn't work out so well.  What they were used to and wanted the game to be like didn't match up.
You don't get that problem so much with new players, but where do you find people who never played in their youth, but suddenly now in middle age, want to learn to play?

** Banned **

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:20 pm 

Grodog, I thought Dundracon was nice! There were a lot of people at the con, I found some great deals on various games and modules in the flea market and dealers area (much to my suprise), and the games were pretty much non-stop all weekend long. I didn't play a ton, but what I did play I was real happy with. Lucky for me the con was close to where I live too. I also met Erol Otus and got him to sign my basic D&D box set with his art work on it, which was way cool. He mentioned he has never signed a box set before, if you can believe that!! A first! My only complaint is that the flea market schedule was a little weird with new slots for sellers every two hours on Sat-Sun, making it hard to play games and insure you were first in line to pilage their wares. I managed though. :twisted:

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:00 pm 

mordrin wrote:Time is one reason I don't play much anymore.

But another is that I think it's hard to mesh the styles and expectations of people who grew up playing separately.  
What I mean is, my original group is pretty well scattered.  Trying to incorporate people who are experienced players who got their experience in a different group didn't work out so well.  What they were used to and wanted the game to be like didn't match up.
You don't get that problem so much with new players, but where do you find people who never played in their youth, but suddenly now in middle age, want to learn to play?

I don't know - it can be easier than you think to find some people who are willing to give this stuff a bash.  It probably depends on where you live.  In a city - and there are always games around.  What doesn't work though (in my experience) is regular gaming with people who you don't know very well.  I have to be friends with people first.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Previous