Creature Feature
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:18 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:They're all the same to me.

i like it! another one to add to the monster manual :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:16 pm 

The next helping.

Creature Feature:

Illegal Alien (Invadus Frommexicus)
Frequency: Common (U.S.), Very Rare (anywhere else)
No. Appearing: 1-8,000,000+
Armor Class: 8
Move: 18"
Hit Dice: 1/2
% in Lair: 33%
Treasure Type: None
No. of Attacks: 0
Damage/Attack: 0
Special Attacks: Steal Job, Summon Friends and Family
Special Defenses: Summon Liberals
Magic Resistance: Standard
Intelligence: Low
Alignment: Any
Size: M
Psionic Ability: None
  Attack/Defense Modes: Nil/Nil

Once a rare and elusive creature, the Illegal Alien's astounding capability to reproduce, along with judicious use of its special abilities, have allowed it to infest huge areas. The exact number of these creatures is unknown, however, it is generally thought to be many millions. It is a secretive being, preferring to remain unobserved in order to avoid detection by its only natural predators, the INS Agent and the Border Patrol.
The Illegal Alien is a basically benevolent creature, having no direct attacks or defense, and if threatened will flee, outdistancing most pursuers with its blinding speed. If cornered, it will curl into a ball and begin to babble unintelligibly. It will only use its abilities when it is confident it will avoid detection.
The first of these, Steal Job, will be used within 1-4 days after the creature arrives at a new location. Two hours after the ability is used, the Alien will be offered a menial position by a local business which offers 1/4 of the normal rate for the region, and which requires the Alien to work for 16 hours per day. Within 2-5 days of the Alien receiving a position, from 1-4 non-Alien workers will be released by the business.
During the 8 hour period in which the Alien is not working, it will secrete itself in its lair, usually a condemned building, and invoke its second offensive ability, Summon Friends and Family, which allows it to summon 1d10 friendly Aliens (10% chance of success per 8 hour period). These Aliens will arrive in 2-12 days.
The defensive capabilities of the Alien are limited. If detected by a hostile creature, the Alien will automatically trigger its Summon Liberals ability (25% chance of success). If successful, from 2-20 Liberals (see Liberals, Standard) will appear and begin a cacophony of threats and insults. There is a 50% chance that the enemy will be driven off.
The only known method of cleansing an area of Illegal Aliens is the use of a Deportation spell. This will remove all Aliens in a 1 mile radius of the spell. However, the spell does not prevent future reinfestation; 2-4 weeks after the spell is cast, all affected Aliens will attempt to return to the area.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:41 am 

lol! i love it - thats a quality addition!

:)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:38 pm 

Thanks, Al. I do try.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:24 pm 

Creature Feature:

Handler (Takon Chargeus)
Frequency: Uncommon
No. Appearing: 1
Armor Class: 6
Move: 12"
Hit Dice: 1
% in Lair: 50%
Treasure Type: A
No. of Attacks: 1
Damage/Attack: 1-4
Special Attacks: Handling Screw
Special Defenses: NPB Report, Negative Feedback, Reincarnation
Intelligence: Average
Alignment: Neutral Evil

These vile creatures have appeared in ever-increasing numbers due to the expansion of their natural environment, the Internet. Generally considered to be nothing more than a nuisance, they nevertheless have a damaging attack which is difficult to detect and avoid.
The Handler begins its attack by offering rare and unusual treasures to its victims. These items are generally desireable, and offered at 50-75% of the normal value in order to entrap prey. Once the victim has accepted the offer, the Handler invokes its special ability. It will charge the victim the agreed-on price, and add on a "handling" fee that is 50-100% of the price. While the victim struggles, the Handler will feed off the energies released by the creature's frustration and misery.
Victims may escape the creature's grasp by refusing to complete the transaction. Doing so, however, will cause the Handler to rely on its defensive powers. It will first invoke the power of NPB report, which causes no physical damage but will leave a permanent scar. Once 3 such scars have been accumulated, the victim dies. The handler will usually (80%) use its Negative Feedback ability to damage the reputation of its victim as well.
The best way to avoid Handlers is to identify them before entering their territories. Certain communities have established groups of individuals who actively seek out signs of Handler infestation in order to warn potential victims. Handlers are extremely difficult to destroy, due to their innate Reincarnation ability, which alows them to return in a slightly altered form.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 3:49 pm 

:D  :D  :D

great one frank! :)

you are wasted there - you should be writing up a new 1E monster manual - it will be a bestseller :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:01 pm 

Hmmm. Hey, perhaps I might do one in PDF form for Acaeum members only. I'd have to fine-tune it a bit. Keep in mind, these features take me about 5 minutes, so they're not exactly honed items.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:22 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Hmmm. Hey, perhaps I might do one in PDF form for Acaeum members only. I'd have to fine-tune it a bit. Keep in mind, these features take me about 5 minutes, so they're not exactly honed items.

well i think they are an absolute blast - and i will certainly be tempted to use 1 or 2 in my encounters just for a bit of fun :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 14, 2006 2:37 am 

Frank, have you got one for the Second Chance Offer sellers? :D

I lack the scholastic finess you elloquently display  8) My attempts (not listed) sound to me like something written by a 6 year old :lol:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:12 pm 

Bump.

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:31 pm 

Was that a subtle hint ?  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:40 pm 

No, but this is:

BUMP

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:47 am 

Smaller Bump :)

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 6:43 pm 

Sorry, I've been way too lax. The first post after this with a creature name, I'll do if you like.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 6:47 pm 

Cougarretard

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:48 pm 

Cougar it is. I can't call him CougarRetard, however, that was the pet name I assigned him some years back. He has to go by his common name.
Working........

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:04 pm 

- Cougar it is. I can't call him CougarRetard, however, that was the pet name I assigned him some years back.

from scientific naming felis concolor etardicus??

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:42 pm 

Not quite satisfied with this one, but I have two huge Cisco tests this week, so I'm a bit distracted. As always, feel free to offer suggestions, improvements, or to bash it in general.

Cougarrinard (Felinus Scumbagus)
Frequency: Unique
No. Appearing: 1
Armor Class: 6
Move: 12"
Hit Dice: 2
% in Lair: See Below
Treasure Type: C
No. of Attacks: 1
Damage/Attack: 0
Special Attacks: Handling Screw, Overstate Condition, Feedback Whine, M-bag Bash
Special Defenses: Negative Feedback, Persecution, Mutual Withdrawal
Intelligence: Low
Alignment: Neutral

The Cougarrinard is a solitary creature; it has never been sighted, and all information about the beast has been accumulated by individuals who have observed or experienced its assaults. Victims are almost exclusively hunted in the land of eBay, though the creature does not reside there. It culls the weaker creatures from the vast roaming herds found there, and uses its devastating abilities to subdue its prey. Over the years it has assumed a legendary status; other names for the beast include CougarRetard, Cougie, and Shithead.
The Cougarrinard begins its hunt for prey by seeding the grounds of eBay with hundreds of RPG auctions. These are poorly described, and are encahnted by the Cougarrinard using its Overstate Condition ability. Unwary bidders are usually lured into a false sense of security by the shiny coating the beast uses on its auctions. It bathes the auctions in a Titanium liquid, exuded from the creature's skin, until the auction is fully enveloped.
Once a victim has taken the bait, the CougarRetard springs into action. It begins by attacking with its Handling Screw ability, hammering its prey with unreasonable fees. The victim is stunned for 1-4 days (save vs. poison at -4 to avoid).
After the victim is stunned, the Cougarrinard begins a loud, high-pitched screeching, known as the Feedback Whine, in an attempt to drain life from the victim. This attack can be negated if the prey leaves a Positive Feedback at the site of the auction. Caution should be used, however, as this serves to increase the Cougarrinard's permanent hit points by 1 for every Positive Feedback left.
Should the victim attempt to combat the Cougarrinard, it activates one or both of its defenses. Persecution is an ability which allows the Cougarrinard to barrage its attacker with a stream of nonsensical e-mails in an attempt to overwhelm the attacker. This ability is occasionally used offensively, in tandem with the Feedback Whine; however, the Cougarrinard usually reserves it for defense.
As a last resort, the Cougarrinard will strike at its attacker with its Negative Feedback ability, stripping 1 hit point from the attacker. This ability, however, carries risks for the creature, as it temporarily infuses the target with the very same ability. If the target attacks the Cougarrinard with this ability, it will immediately cringe and behave in an otherwise cowardly fashion. At this point, it will attempt to use Mutual Withdrawal. This allows the Cougarrinard and its attacker to negate the effects of the Negative Feedback attacks.
The last unique ability the creature possesses is the M-Bag Bash. This is used to obtain items for its auction traps. When the creature encounters an auction of size L or greater, it will seize it and attemt to steal it from its possessor using this ability. If it is successful, it breaks the auction into smaller portions, which it then uses to bait its traps.
No information is available concerning the creature's social habits, nor the amount of time it spends in its lair, as no one has ever approached it in its stronghold. Reproductive information is also unavailable; however, speculations exist as to the possibility that the creature is asexual, existing only to feed and pursue its goals. The scholar Bclarkie, having done extensive research on the Cougarrinard, has provided information hinting that the creature desires to replace its Titanium exoskeleton with a Ruby-Encrusted Platinum one. Proof of this has, unfortunately, eluded adventurers to this day.

PreviousNext