TSR's Marvel RPG
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:33 pm 

bclarkie wrote:I guess this means I can count you all out from upcoming Marvel Super Heroes auction on EBay.  :oops:  C'mon somebody here has to like this stuff.........

For the moment, you can. One day you will not. I did not say I don't like MSH. I just said it's a crappy system. But consider that I am a Marvel fan and a TSR fan!

However I don't think that MSH items fetch high prices on eBay.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:35 pm 

bombadil wrote:Speaking of which...I picked this up at a used bookstore in Tucson.  If anyone wants it, I'll send it to you gratis.  First-come, first-served.

[ Image ]

If I remember correctly, that comes from the main MSH boxed set. Very interesting offer, but I happen to own one from a long, long time. I'll leave it to someone else (I'm not the guy who takes anything just because it's free!).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:38 pm 

bbarsh wrote:Champions (any of the first few editions) was a far superior game. In fact, I still think it has the best rpg character generation rules ever created. The combat system is equally awesome.

I remember playing Champions Hero once, and it was one of my worst RPG experiences. You needed a bucket of dice just to breathe.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:03 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:The presence of Lorraine Williams marked the death of D&D. She killed the whole company as well as the game. She is one of the great evils in this world.

I don't mean to sound ignorant, but where/how can I find out a more complete history of Lorraine Williams.  I only know bits and pieces . . .

I mean who is she exactly?  How did she get hired/advance with TSR?  , etc. etc.

She's the neice or daughter of the guy who owned the rights to Buck Rogers. I think he bought a huge chunk of TSR and put her in charge. The problem was she didn't like geeky games and thought all of the staff were dweebs. She made that very clear to everyone. She was just in it for making as much money out of TSR as she could. So she sacked everyone who she couldn't get along with and squeezed the company dry. It was just a geeky games company anyhow. Its not like it was a real business. At least that was her opinion.

Urgo, Lorainne Williams killed D&D and TSR as we knew it.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:39 pm 

This is from the "Buck Rogers-The First 60 Years in the 25th Century" book that was published by TSR in 1988.

"Lorraine Dille Williams-
Lorraine Dille Williams's association with Buck Rogers is rich in heritage. Her grandfather, John Flint Dille, was founder of the National Newspaper Syndicate of America and co-creator of the comic strip Buck Rogers in the 25th Century with Dick Calkins and Phil Nowlan. Her father, Robert Crabtree Dille, was president of the National Newspaper Syndicate. In every way, she grew up with Buck.

After receiving a B.A. degree in History from the University of California at Berkeley, she worked at the National Newspaper Synicate, as an assistant administrator at Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke's Medical Center, and held various administrative positions with the National Easter Seal Society. She joined the TSR staff as executive vice president, administration, in 1985 and became TSR's president and chief executive officer in that same year.

In addition to her other duties, she has taken up the task left her by her father-"protecting the integrity of Buck and maintaining the vision of John Flint Dille, Dick Calkins, and Phil Nowlan. "

It's a shame someone with no background in the gaming industry was handed the job of running the greatest RPG company of all time.  :(

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:24 pm 

Didn't buy MSH as you could only play Marvel heroes but I guess that's the cost of getting license. Champions was ok a bit heavy for what should have been a simpler game IMHO. We played the GW super heroes game Golden Heroes which I personally thought was fantastic. When I remember I look for a coopy on Ebay but no luck so far...

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:36 am 

bombadil wrote:Speaking of which...I picked this up at a used bookstore in Tucson.  If anyone wants it, I'll send it to you gratis.  First-come, first-served.

[ Image ]

Uh ... me?

Or has it been claimed by PM already? :oops:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:42 am 

I am awaiting the arrival of several new additions to my modest collection of the greatest superhero game of all time.....TOON.

"Or, the character could try to succeed on a chutzpa roll to swim about in the boiling soup as if it were bathwater."

Mark    :lol:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:32 am 

Beyondthebreach wrote:I don't mean to sound ignorant, but where/how can I find out a more complete history of Lorraine Williams.  I only know bits and pieces . . .

I mean who is she exactly?  How did she get hired/advance with TSR?  , etc. etc.

I did a mammoth sized interview to Gary Gygax years ago. You can find it at www.enworld.org and read everything about Mrs. Williams fatal involvement with TSR  :x

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:43 am 

MShipley88 wrote:I am awaiting the arrival of several new additions to my modest collection of the greatest superhero game of all time.....TOON.

"Or, the character could try to succeed on a chutzpa roll to swim about in the boiling soup as if it were bathwater."

Mark    :lol:

Well, Toon is surely a paragon game, but that's not exactly what I'd call superhero game...