TSR's Marvel RPG
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:17 pm 

While delving into a box containing some old Marvel Epic Magazines I stumbled across a dozen TSR Marvel RPG modules (all in shrink). I have a vague recollection of buying them in a single lot off ebay several years ago.

Anyway, I played that game exactly once when it came out way back when. My group was already playing Champions and we were primed for a superhero rpg featuring the Marvel Universe. Then we find out you basically have to play existing Marvel characters and we lost all interest. Plus the rules sucked ass compared to Champions.  I digress.

I added those lost modules to my excel collection sheet, and in doing so, I also pulled the entire production line of TSR stuff. I can't believe how much they actually printed to support that crappy game.

Anyway, any thoughts on collecting the entire game set?

Anybody else play the system?

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:53 pm 

Some of these fetch reasonable price (ultimate Powers book and Advanved Boxed set from memory) but otherwise are not that expensive. Overall superheroes games have not performed well in sales and have a small following when compared to Fantasy RPG's. Its not that bad, The Doom boxed set is a nice read, most of its the same sort of TSR modules stuff... I wish they had printed as much stuff for Star Frontiers...

Brette:)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:59 am 

beasterbrook wrote:Some of these fetch reasonable price (ultimate Powers book and Advanved Boxed set from memory) but otherwise are not that expensive. Overall superheroes games have not performed well in sales and have a small following when compared to Fantasy RPG's. Its not that bad, The Doom boxed set is a nice read, most of its the same sort of TSR modules stuff... I wish they had printed as much stuff for Star Frontiers...

Brette:)

I actually played the Marvel RPG quite a bit, though I may be the only one . ..   :D   My friends and I were really into comics as well.  I guess, if you love Marvel and their characters, then the RPG appeals to you - I think I enjoyed going through my complete handbooks of the Marvel universe and translating the different heroes/villains into RPG stats as much as anything.

I had whole notebooks filled with Character stats and characters I had rolled up with the Ultimate Powers book.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:03 am 

Way off topic as it is not TSR but if anyone plays Champions this site is pretty cool...

http://www.angelfire.com/scifi2/mathew/champions.html

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:01 am 

I agree, the game can have some interest to Marvel fans, however the game system is quite weak and uninteresting, so it's no surprise if most people don't like it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:31 am 

Marvel Superheroes and Buck Rogers are the only TSR RPGs that I don't collect.  I think by general acclamation they are considered the worst of the lot, or am I missing one?  Has anyone collected or read the Buck Rogers stuff?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:47 am 

beasterbrook wrote:Some of these fetch reasonable price (ultimate Powers book and Advanved Boxed set from memory) but otherwise are not that expensive.

I think too. There is 2-3 boxed sets which have a "good" value (10-20$) but all modules could be found for $0.99-$1.50. For example, I bought a lot on ebay, 35 modules for $12, all in shrink, a few months ago.

Beyondthebreach wrote:I actually played the Marvel RPG quite a bit, though I may be the only one . ..   :D  

You're not alone, me too :D ! But a very very little bit...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:49 am 

I don't know much, but isn't the Buck Rogers game system much the same as AD&D? If I remember correctly, apart from necessary changes to suit the setting (quite useless to have half-elven clerics going through the stars on spaceships, right? Oh, did someone say Spelljammer...? Ok, let's forget this comment, shall we?), the rules are pretty much the same. As for the setting, I suppose Buck Rogers fans should find it very appealing. I can only imagine that a Buck Rogers or MSH game played (and especially mastered) by people who don't know a damn about the settings they are playing with makes little sense. Can you imagine a Dungeon Master (Marvel Master?) putting the PCs against Thanos without having any idea how the villain should be played?

I may be mistaken, but I think that recently a totally new MSH game has been released (not by WotC/TSR). Anyone knows?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:51 am 

VermilionFire wrote:Marvel Superheroes and Buck Rogers are the only TSR RPGs that I don't collect.  I think by general acclamation they are considered the worst of the lot, or am I missing one?  Has anyone collected or read the Buck Rogers stuff?

Marvel was definitely not high on quality, but it was still better than Indiana Jones . . . which I also played  :oops:

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:52 am 

I guess this means I can count you all out from upcoming Marvel Super Heroes auction on EBay.  :oops:  C'mon somebody here has to like this stuff.........

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:01 am 

guerret wrote:I may be mistaken, but I think that recently a totally new MSH game has been released (not by WotC/TSR). Anyone knows?

There is two other games:
Marvel adventure game, with no dice but a system based on the use of cards with different values. Very interesting.
Marvel universe, which has been written by Marvel Staff. The system is new, based on the ressources management (no dice, no cards, no any hazard !)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:07 am 

I played it a pretty good bit with my cousin, who loved it, back in the day. I was really into comics, so it was cool for a while but I didn't stick with it.

"Surely you don't disbelieve the prophecies just because you had a hand in bringing them about?" J.R.R. Tolkien

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:15 am 

Oh, yes, I forgot about Indiana Jones.  I actually have all of those being a fan, though the West End Games version is much better.  
If I remember correctly, Buck Rogers was made because Lorraine Williams is a relative of Flint Dille, the writer of the original Buck Rogers series, and therefore the estate, including her, would stand to gain even more $ from the sale of Buck Rogers RPG and other products.  Is that correct?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:36 am 

VermilionFire wrote:Oh, yes, I forgot about Indiana Jones.  I actually have all of those being a fan, though the West End Games version is much better.  
If I remember correctly, Buck Rogers was made because Lorraine Williams is a relative of Flint Dille, the writer of the original Buck Rogers series, and therefore the estate, including her, would stand to gain even more $ from the sale of Buck Rogers RPG and other products.  Is that correct?

BINGO! :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:18 am 

Speaking of which...I picked this up at a used bookstore in Tucson.  If anyone wants it, I'll send it to you gratis.  First-come, first-served.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:18 am 

The presence of Lorraine Williams marked the death of D&D. She killed the whole company as well as the game. She is one of the great evils in this world.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:31 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:The presence of Lorraine Williams marked the death of D&D. She killed the whole company as well as the game. She is one of the great evils in this world.

I don't mean to sound ignorant, but where/how can I find out a more complete history of Lorraine Williams.  I only know bits and pieces . . .

I mean who is she exactly?  How did she get hired/advance with TSR?  , etc. etc.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:35 am 

Beyondthebreach wrote:I don't mean to sound ignorant, but where/how can I find out a more complete history of Lorraine Williams.  I only know bits and pieces . . .

I mean who is she exactly?  How did she get hired/advance with TSR?  , etc. etc.

I am in the same situation...

Next