I must sell off a large section of my collection.
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:37 am 

Hey Guys,

I started collecting just a year ago this month.  In that time, I have accumulated well over 600 Items of 1st and 2nd edition D & D and AD & D, Dragon mags, and Forgotten Realms.  I collect mainly to read and experience the art of TSR.  However, I have found out that I enjoy the Forgotten Realms stuff the most.  I believe Forgotten realms has the best storylines and artwork.  So I'm going to concentrate on collecting that line and sell the other stuff.  

I know others have sold their collections and regretted it, however collecting TSR, while fun is not a "passion" of mine.  That being said, I believe I can sell the D & D and AD &D off without to much regret.

Let me know what you think.  And I'm not going to start the sell off til April so I have time to change my mind.  I really do not think I will be changing my mind, though.

Martin

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:46 am 

Well, if you are not selling it all off, but rather concentrating on the stuff you are most interested in - then that is no problem at all - you are just changing your collection a bit.  Like, I will be selling off a pile of my Cthulhu soon, to spend more money on other things.  Sounds fun!  :D

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:09 am 

Hmmm...each to his own. I would consider carefully how I went about selling (in pieces, lot size, individual units, payment types, etc) well before that time came.

That said, having done something similar years ago and losing some quality items I may never replace, I'd suggest the thought of cherry-picking choice items and at least holding those back unless you didn't clear your goal on the other items first.

And, oh yeah...PM me first if you do!  :D

"Surely you don't disbelieve the prophecies just because you had a hand in bringing them about?" J.R.R. Tolkien

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:30 pm 

Hey Pru, since you're in Indy, pls consider unloading some stuff (ie not eBay-ideal) at the GenCon auction in August. You can set Reserves to protect yourself. I'll even offer to pick 'em up and then deliver any unsolds along with an immediate payout, if you're in the immediate vicinity of Indy proper.

Something to think about at least...

Frank Mentzer
Lead Auctioneer
GenCon Game Conventions
[email protected]

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:52 pm 

And if you don't take up frank's offer, offer the stuff to us first.  :P

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:34 am 

"... look into my eyes... you are feeling very relaxed...  you are feeling sleepy.... sellll your collection to me for peanuts....  you know it is the right thing to do...."

Let's go fly a kite

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:56 am 

red_bus wrote:"... look into my eyes... you are feeling very relaxed...  you are feeling sleepy.... sellll your collection to me for peanuts....  you know it is the right thing to do...."

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Failed saving throw versus spells ...

... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me, nor can any alter the music in my despite ...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:38 am 

I think I would like to unload some of my stuff at GenCon.  THE RPGA series comes to mind.  Maybe some other stuff as well.

Martin

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:41 am 

Oh and to Radagast the Brown and Red_Bus - thanks for the nap, it was very refreshing.  Now please provide your addresses so that I can begin to box up my collection and send it to you. :lol:

Martin

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:38 am 

No problem Martin  :D
BTW, I'm still waiting for an answer from you (and Alan) for my admission in your "overpaying collector" club ...  :wink:

Seriously, the only thing I can say about selling your collection is: when you've done it, don't think about it. No regrets (if possible  :) )

Cheers
Giorgio

... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me, nor can any alter the music in my despite ...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:58 am 

Radagast The Brown,

The Overpayers Committee has met:  your in and granted the title of "Grand High Puba".

Martin

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:45 am 

Prufrock wrote:Radagast The Brown,

The Overpayers Committee has met:  your in and granted the title of "Grand High Puba".

Martin

What a rush!!  :D

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:05 am 

On one hand, Cat 4-5 Rares generally do not do as well at GenCon as they do on eBay.

On the other hand, sometimes they do, and more -- because I can feature them as Grand Finale items, at the top of the scale for both excitement and revenue.

R and RPGA modules would easily make it as Finale items.

Items that often do better live than on eBay are usually mid-range rares, such as OCE's and such. Folks who don't get on eBay seem to go wild when they find them.

Commons and semicommons go for peanuts at GenCon, and anything in bulk (like 50 magazines or a big CCG collection) is very problematic; bulk has to be carried home, and a lot of folks are flying and just can't do it. (That said, remember that UPS is within 100' of the auction room...)

(One of these days somebody is going to come in from Europe well-heeled and well-prepared, like with a surface marine shipping container already booked, and will buy all the cheap stuff for next to nothing and have it shipped home en masse....)

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:22 am 

Hey there.  Is there a listing where I can see some of the results from past GenCon Grand Finale auctions?  
I would be really interested to see what sort sof things have been auctioned - rares or not.  

I did try a bit of a look online, but my interwebbery search skills are not up to scratch and I didn't find anything.

'Captain' red_bus
of the container ship: S.S. Booty

Let's go fly a kite

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:44 pm 

I bought a couple of R mods from gencon last year and they did not go cheap.  The stuff may even go crazier this year due to the presence of more Acaeum Memebers.

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!