Sellers who infringed upon copyrights; reported.
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 94 of 100123 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 9899100
Author

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6169
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 22, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:45 pm 
 

The majority of lawsuits are used to deal with people who do not respond to C&D. If you cease when the copyright holder makes you aware that you are breaching their copyright and ask you to do so, then is is highly unlikely that anything will ever become of it.

Granted, if you tell the copyright holder to GTF, then you can expect the worst, but you have to be seriously retarded to chose to go down that route. This guy is probably not a retard (unless he's got a special computer), just a f"cking idiot who doesn't have the brains to know the difference between making a quick buck and wasting his time for peanuts.


This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

 WWW  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 25, 2019

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:08 pm 
 

. wrote:The majority of lawsuits are used to deal with people who do not respond to C&D. If you cease when the copyright holder makes you aware that you are breaching their copyright and ask you to do so, then is is highly unlikely that anything will ever become of it.

Granted, if you tell the copyright holder to GTF, then you can expect the worst, but you have to be seriously retarded to chose to go down that route. This guy is probably not a retard (unless he's got a special computer), just a f"cking idiot who doesn't have the brains to know the difference between making a quick buck and wasting his time for peanuts.


True, a C&D letter is usually the first step in the process, however, I'm pretty sure that they aren't bound to follow that procedure.  Even with thatsaid, when you make statements in your auction like this:

The works on this disc(s) are owned by me, the seller, In accordance with trading standards and policy of recordable media, I claim ownership and rights to this and I am legally authorised to replicate the content without permission or licensing.


You are already pretty much telling the publishers to GTFO.  

I would imagine that the C&D letter is effectively used as the 1st step, because the violator may not know that they are in fact doing anything wrong.  When you post a statement effectively challenging the publishers authority already, you are pretty much making it clear that you know the law you don't care what the rights holders think.  

Does that mean a lawsuit is forthcoming, probably not immediately.  But to post such a direct & bold challenge to someone's copyright in such a large venue like that is really just begging for one.


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6169
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 22, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:20 pm 
 

I gotta agree with you there, BC.

The wording of the auction effectively declares that the seller takes ownership of the IP. That is actually theft of ownwership which is backed up by the seller attepting to sell the property he has declared that he owns. So this is not a straight forward case of copyright infringement which would illicit a C&D letter/e-mail. The odds are heavily in his favour that he'll never hear anything from anyone, but if he's gonna get a reaction from the IP owner, he's posting text that is inciting a harsh response.

Lets face it, if you're gonna sell PDFs, you don't set yourself up deliberately to be the one they make an example out of, by declaring you're god given right to sell the stuff. If you set up a challenge like that, a WotC lawyer with nothing to do might just choose to take you down.


This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

 WWW  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 4475
Joined: Nov 08, 2002
Last Visit: Jan 22, 2021
Location: Land of 10,000 ponds

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:58 pm 
 

Just wanted to state I seen the original post, the one ashmire responded to before it changed.  That's before Chris Friedson changed it of course.

ShaneG.


I reject your reality and substitute my own

 WWW  


Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3281
Joined: Oct 10, 2006
Last Visit: Jan 22, 2021
Location: Wandering aimlessly on the 8th level down...

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:20 pm 
 

Plaag wrote:Just wanted to state I seen the original post, the one ashmire responded to before it changed.  That's before Chris Friedson changed it of course.

ShaneG.


Cheers Shane, appreciate that. School boy error on my part for not quoting. Kinda made the 'is this elitist' thread look redundant for a minute!  :lol:


Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 5029
Joined: Oct 11, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 16, 2017
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:22 pm 
 

onlinepromaster wrote:jesus christ, like you are all such fucking saints.
Only pedophiles play dnd past age 13 anyways,  fucking chomos
.


8O

Dude you need some serious help. :lol:

How is it that this moron was allowed to stay here after that insane post? :? :roll:


"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3379
Joined: May 30, 2007
Last Visit: Jan 22, 2021
Location: USA Georgia

Post Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:05 am 
 

My guess is that he'll get the C&D letter, stop selling copyrighted material, AND THEN be stupid enough to come back here and say he was never sued.  At which point we'll say, "So, why aren't you selling copyrighted material anymore?  If you aren't getting sued, surely you don't have a problem with selling more copyrighted stuff?  Or did you run out of blank CD's?  Blah, blah, blah..."  And he'll come up with some lame excuse about how he doesn't have time to sell on eBay, or he made a million in real estate so eBay doesn't appeal to him anymore, blah, blah, blah,...  :roll:  :roll:

There's an old maxim that goes something like, "A dog always returns to his crap."

He's going to enjoy the weather?  I don't think so.  He'll be back.


Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 3819
Joined: Jul 12, 2007
Last Visit: Jan 23, 2021

Post Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:10 am 
 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:
8O

Dude you need some serious help. :lol:

How is it that this moron was allowed to stay here after that insane post? :? :roll:


Because we are exclusive?

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Jul 24, 2020

Post Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:13 am 
 

He was already back today.  Follow the link under the Acaeum topic heading, "Use Your Lightning Bolt!" and you'll see a funny comment from a fellow who calls himself analsludge.

I'm not kidding...that's what he called himself.


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6169
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 22, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:35 am 
 

benjoshua wrote:My guess is that he'll get the C&D letter, stop selling copyrighted material, AND THEN be stupid enough to come back here and say he was never sued.  At which point we'll say, "So, why aren't you selling copyrighted material anymore?  If you aren't getting sued, surely you don't have a problem with selling more copyrighted stuff?  Or did you run out of blank CD's?  Blah, blah, blah..."  And he'll come up with some lame excuse about how he doesn't have time to sell on eBay, or he made a million in real estate so eBay doesn't appeal to him anymore, blah, blah, blah,...  :roll:  :roll:

There's an old maxim that goes something like, "A dog always returns to his crap."

He's going to enjoy the weather?  I don't think so.  He'll be back.

My guess is he'll get pissed off, go punch about his wife/girlfriend/sister/mother (same person), and feel better about it. He's the man.


This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5613
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 15, 2021
Location: New Hampsha

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:43 am 
 

Don't go getting onlinewhoremaster banned. It's been a long time since we had a fence jumper to pick on.
My bet is he has three broken lawnmowers and four dead cars in front of his trailer. He works for his cousin Jed part time in the fields, and just bought a brand-new pair of overalls with his eBay profits. Married to Jed's sister for twenty years  :D , he has seven kids, seven teeth, and hasn't seen his dick since Ford was president due to the overhanging beer gut. He has a top-of-the-line education, having progressed to ninth garde before dropping out, and his 486 Packard Bell is the fastest computer in the county.
Close?


If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

 WWW  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 772
Joined: Feb 21, 2003
Last Visit: Jun 22, 2018
Location: Spokane, WA

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:21 am 
 

Whale Tagger wrote: .... 486 Packard Bell ....


I owned one of those back in 1991...... damn what a flashback....... where's my beer!?!


"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

  


Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2039
Joined: Aug 28, 2006
Last Visit: Jul 14, 2019
Location: Tashkent, Uzbekistan

Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:09 am 
 

There was a very interesting snippet in the editorial of this week's New Scientist.

Pirates ahoy!

To the shock of its critics, Sweden's Pirate Party won a seat in the European Parliament with the promise of reforming copyright and patent law. Most of its votes came from the under-30s, showing that institutions and pricing structures that liberate digital knowledge are gaining support among the young. As similar parties emerge around the world, mainstream politicians may be tempted to steal the pirates' ideas. Those who want to limit our access to knowledge had better get ready to walk the plank.

Source: New Scientist Vol. 202 (No. 2714), 27 June 2009

  

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2332
Joined: Feb 20, 2006
Last Visit: Aug 27, 2017
Location: Shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods

Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:06 pm 
 

HermitFromPluto wrote:There was a very interesting snippet in the editorial of this week's New Scientist.

Pirates ahoy!

To the shock of its critics, Sweden's Pirate Party won a seat in the European Parliament with the promise of reforming copyright and patent law. Most of its votes came from the under-30s, showing that institutions and pricing structures that liberate digital knowledge are gaining support among the young. As similar parties emerge around the world, mainstream politicians may be tempted to steal the pirates' ideas. Those who want to limit our access to knowledge had better get ready to walk the plank.

Source: New Scientist Vol. 202 (No. 2714), 27 June 2009


Of course, Pirate Bay has sold out, thus undermining its political points:

. . . Pirate Bay 2.0: Pay Pirates to Become Consumers | Threat Level | Wired.com
. . . http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2 ... roger.aspx


But it did some odd stuff during the election protests in Iran in June:

. . . http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... AD98SLM8G0

  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 580
Joined: Mar 17, 2009
Last Visit: Jun 08, 2019
Location: Indiana, USA

Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:29 pm 
 

Another attempt to monetize a popular site that is destined to fail spectacularly.  I think they were smart to sell and cut their losses at this point.  

All these "could be worth more" statements are based on assumptions of income based off of traffic (like saying Digg is worth 250 million).


Image

 WWW  


Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3281
Joined: Oct 10, 2006
Last Visit: Jan 22, 2021
Location: Wandering aimlessly on the 8th level down...

Post Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:37 am 
 

I thought the owners of piratebay got nailed right royally recently for hundreds of millions in Sweden...?


Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Jul 24, 2020

Post Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:10 am 
 

ashmire13 wrote:I thought the owners of piratebay got nailed right royally recently for hundreds of millions in Sweden...?


One assumes the former owners won't be visiting Sweden.


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2332
Joined: Feb 20, 2006
Last Visit: Aug 27, 2017
Location: Shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods

Post Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:16 am 
 

FormCritic wrote:One assumes the former owners won't be visiting Sweden.

Heh . . . PirateBay is based in Sweden.  However, the former owners just need to collect money from the new owners and pay their fine.

Didn't Homer Simpson do something similar?  He billed himself as King of the Internet, didn't do anything but put up a website and web ads, and got bought out by Bill Gates.  Of course, Gates' thugs trashed his computer area.  :)

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 3819
Joined: Jul 12, 2007
Last Visit: Jan 23, 2021

Post Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:29 am 
 


** expired eBay auction **


Wondering who owns the James Bond copyright?

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:23 pm 
 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:How is it that this moron was allowed to stay here after that insane post? :? :roll:

Simply put:  Foulfoot's a busy guy.  I'm sure he'll deal with this individual appropriately when he finds the time.

 YIM  
PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 94 of 100123 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 9899100