Sellers who infringed upon copyrights; reported.
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 104 of 111123 ... 101, 102, 103, 104, 105 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:10 pm 

I know what he needs.....

............................................ Cake!

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:13 pm 

. wrote:I know what he needs.....

............................................ Cake!

[ Image ]

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Quality!

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:21 pm 

Actually, as I understand lawsuits -- it does not matter if one currently has the cash, as they can garnish future wages, and even take things like insurance policies, trust funds, social security benefits and tax returns, until the amount paid is the amount owed, and even declaring bankruptcy does nothing because it is not a "debt." So, if the person is a burger flipper making $250 bi-weekly, they could stash away up to 40% (I believe that is the figure) which would leave a whopping Whopper, not to mention any other sources of money, even going after relatives and the like if the individual is not considered an adult (or so I hear.)

So, getting sued and not having any money is not a defense -- it just means you lose and will end owing everything for evermore.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:31 pm 

No, I meant the odds of getting sued are practically negligible. It's not something you ever have to worry.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:35 pm 

. wrote:No, I meant the odds of getting sued are practically negligible. It's not something you ever have to worry.

The RPAA for instance disagrees.  

And that's just the one of the ones who garnered the most attention.  To think that because it doesn't make huge headlines you're immune to litigation is naive,  at best, i.e

copyright lawsuit - Google Search

Almost 8 million hits, just on Google.   And those are just the ones who make the news.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Last edited by bclarkie on Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:37 pm 

It would be mildly amusing for this asshat to get caned by the original publishers. I get the impression that the USA is vastly different to the UK for such things.   :?

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:45 pm 

The majority of lawsuits are used to deal with people who do not respond to C&D. If you cease when the copyright holder makes you aware that you are breaching their copyright and ask you to do so, then is is highly unlikely that anything will ever become of it.

Granted, if you tell the copyright holder to GTF, then you can expect the worst, but you have to be seriously retarded to chose to go down that route. This guy is probably not a retard (unless he's got a special computer), just a f"cking idiot who doesn't have the brains to know the difference between making a quick buck and wasting his time for peanuts.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:08 pm 

. wrote:The majority of lawsuits are used to deal with people who do not respond to C&D. If you cease when the copyright holder makes you aware that you are breaching their copyright and ask you to do so, then is is highly unlikely that anything will ever become of it.

Granted, if you tell the copyright holder to GTF, then you can expect the worst, but you have to be seriously retarded to chose to go down that route. This guy is probably not a retard (unless he's got a special computer), just a f"cking idiot who doesn't have the brains to know the difference between making a quick buck and wasting his time for peanuts.

True, a C&D letter is usually the first step in the process, however, I'm pretty sure that they aren't bound to follow that procedure.  Even with thatsaid, when you make statements in your auction like this:

The works on this disc(s) are owned by me, the seller, In accordance with trading standards and policy of recordable media, I claim ownership and rights to this and I am legally authorised to replicate the content without permission or licensing.

You are already pretty much telling the publishers to GTFO.  

I would imagine that the C&D letter is effectively used as the 1st step, because the violator may not know that they are in fact doing anything wrong.  When you post a statement effectively challenging the publishers authority already, you are pretty much making it clear that you know the law you don't care what the rights holders think.  

Does that mean a lawsuit is forthcoming, probably not immediately.  But to post such a direct & bold challenge to someone's copyright in such a large venue like that is really just begging for one.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:20 pm 

I gotta agree with you there, BC.

The wording of the auction effectively declares that the seller takes ownership of the IP. That is actually theft of ownwership which is backed up by the seller attepting to sell the property he has declared that he owns. So this is not a straight forward case of copyright infringement which would illicit a C&D letter/e-mail. The odds are heavily in his favour that he'll never hear anything from anyone, but if he's gonna get a reaction from the IP owner, he's posting text that is inciting a harsh response.

Lets face it, if you're gonna sell PDFs, you don't set yourself up deliberately to be the one they make an example out of, by declaring you're god given right to sell the stuff. If you set up a challenge like that, a WotC lawyer with nothing to do might just choose to take you down.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:58 pm 

Just wanted to state I seen the original post, the one ashmire responded to before it changed.  That's before Chris Friedson changed it of course.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:20 pm 

Plaag wrote:Just wanted to state I seen the original post, the one ashmire responded to before it changed.  That's before Chris Friedson changed it of course.

ShaneG.

Cheers Shane, appreciate that. School boy error on my part for not quoting. Kinda made the 'is this elitist' thread look redundant for a minute!  :lol:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:22 pm 

onlinepromaster wrote:jesus christ, like you are all such fucking saints.
Only pedophiles play dnd past age 13 anyways,  fucking chomos

8O

Dude you need some serious help. :lol:

How is it that this moron was allowed to stay here after that insane post? :? :roll:

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:05 am 

My guess is that he'll get the C&D letter, stop selling copyrighted material, AND THEN be stupid enough to come back here and say he was never sued.  At which point we'll say, "So, why aren't you selling copyrighted material anymore?  If you aren't getting sued, surely you don't have a problem with selling more copyrighted stuff?  Or did you run out of blank CD's?  Blah, blah, blah..."  And he'll come up with some lame excuse about how he doesn't have time to sell on eBay, or he made a million in real estate so eBay doesn't appeal to him anymore, blah, blah, blah,...  :roll:  :roll:

There's an old maxim that goes something like, "A dog always returns to his crap."

He's going to enjoy the weather?  I don't think so.  He'll be back.

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:10 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:
8O

Dude you need some serious help. :lol:

How is it that this moron was allowed to stay here after that insane post? :? :roll:

Because we are exclusive?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:13 am 

He was already back today.  Follow the link under the Acaeum topic heading, "Use Your Lightning Bolt!" and you'll see a funny comment from a fellow who calls himself analsludge.

I'm not kidding...that's what he called himself.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:35 am 

benjoshua wrote:My guess is that he'll get the C&D letter, stop selling copyrighted material, AND THEN be stupid enough to come back here and say he was never sued.  At which point we'll say, "So, why aren't you selling copyrighted material anymore?  If you aren't getting sued, surely you don't have a problem with selling more copyrighted stuff?  Or did you run out of blank CD's?  Blah, blah, blah..."  And he'll come up with some lame excuse about how he doesn't have time to sell on eBay, or he made a million in real estate so eBay doesn't appeal to him anymore, blah, blah, blah,...  :roll:  :roll:

There's an old maxim that goes something like, "A dog always returns to his crap."

He's going to enjoy the weather?  I don't think so.  He'll be back.

My guess is he'll get pissed off, go punch about his wife/girlfriend/sister/mother (same person), and feel better about it. He's the man.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:43 am 

Don't go getting onlinewhoremaster banned. It's been a long time since we had a fence jumper to pick on.
My bet is he has three broken lawnmowers and four dead cars in front of his trailer. He works for his cousin Jed part time in the fields, and just bought a brand-new pair of overalls with his eBay profits. Married to Jed's sister for twenty years  :D , he has seven kids, seven teeth, and hasn't seen his dick since Ford was president due to the overhanging beer gut. He has a top-of-the-line education, having progressed to ninth garde before dropping out, and his 486 Packard Bell is the fastest computer in the county.
Close?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:21 am 

Whale Tagger wrote: .... 486 Packard Bell ....

I owned one of those back in 1991...... damn what a flashback....... where's my beer!?!

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 104 of 111123 ... 101, 102, 103, 104, 105 ... 109110111