Sellers who infringed upon copyrights; reported.
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 99 of 111123 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100 ... 109110111
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:13 pm 

bujoojoo wrote:
Already gone. What was it?

If memory serves, it was a 2 DVD set of every Dragon Magazine from 1-359 for something like $49.99 or a $49.99 starting bid. :x

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:52 am 

misterspock wrote:Check this out...

The seller has put up a "quantity" of ten TIFF images of Jeff Easley artwork from a calendar.  He took a picture of the calender with his digital camera  (who needs a scanner, anyway?) and then proceeded to digitally eliminate the crease mark.

"I have had quite a lot of practice at fixing images like this and am pretty picky about having a good finished product, so I am pretty sure whoever buys this will be happy."

$45 including "free shipping" gets you a photoshop'd picture from a digital camera of artwork he has no legal right to copy and sell.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Not that I would ever consider buying something like this, but isn't it legal to take a picture of something and sell it? If I went and took a picture of the Mona Lisa, would I be able to sell it to the highest bidder? Is this truly illegal or (like I would consider) simply in bad taste?

Not trying to be snarky, and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a difference between scanning and taking a picture? I had scanned a counter sheet for a game and uploaded it to Boardgamegeek once, and boy the writer of the game reamed me out in an e-mail, but if I had taken a photo of the same counter sheet (and it was shown to be an obvious photo) there would have been no problem.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:14 am 

Eryops wrote:Not trying to be snarky, and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a difference between scanning and taking a picture? I had scanned a counter sheet for a game and uploaded it to Boardgamegeek once, and boy the writer of the game reamed me out in an e-mail, but if I had taken a photo of the same counter sheet (and it was shown to be an obvious photo) there would have been no problem.

I am not a lawyer, but I don't think it would make any difference whether it was a scan or a photo - the intent is the same, to copy someone else's work and use it without their permission or benefit.  Do you think you could plausibly claim said photograph was in fact your own "artistic vision" as a photographer?  No, you would be simply trying to get a copy of this info out to others who had not paid for the game.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:34 pm 

Think I should zap this guy

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:21 am 

I would.  A softcover PHB and a downloaded adventure?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:35 am 

Traveller wrote:I would.  A softcover PHB and a downloaded adventure?

There was a softcover 3.5 PHB released.  Part of a starter set perhaps?  I forget exactly.  The copy up there looks like the legit softcover 3.5 PHB though.

Edit: Just checked; it was in a box called the Dungeons & Dragons Player's Kit.

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:08 pm 

Meh, I'd still nail the guy unless that adventure happens to be a freely available one from WotC.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:54 am 

Anyone see this already? Appears to be photocopies of char sheets

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 0355714820

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:58 am 

Seller claims they're original, so it seems that we have a new D&D item. Either that or he's full of shit.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:49 pm 

I'd say the latter...  :?

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:39 pm 

I can smell it from here.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:33 pm 

What about this?:

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:13 am 

TheMilford wrote:What about this?:

Concern over the replicated counters and box?  IMO, that is not a copyright problem, they are simply doing their best to replace destroyed or lost contents to provide a complete and playable item.  I would equate this to selling a 2E box set with a photocopy of the Montrous Compendium pages (which are frequently missing).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:20 pm 

Grug Greyskin wrote:
Concern over the replicated counters and box?  IMO, that is not a copyright problem, they are simply doing their best to replace destroyed or lost contents to provide a complete and playable item.  I would equate this to selling a 2E box set with a photocopy of the Montrous Compendium pages (which are frequently missing).

I dunno. He's asking $115 for the lot so I am assuming he's appealing to collectors... why then not just leave the repros out of the auction and ask a more reasonable price. It seems to me he's trying to get market value for an item that is incomplete and he's hoping his "replicates" "complete" the item...

I don't like it.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:45 pm 

TheMilford wrote:
I dunno. He's asking $115 for the lot so I am assuming he's appealing to collectors... why then not just leave the repros out of the auction and ask a more reasonable price. It seems to me he's trying to get market value for an item that is incomplete and he's hoping his "replicates" "complete" the item...

I don't like it.

Ive been thinking about doing the same thing with some B10s  & X10s I own. I have a complete X10 and several X10s missing the counters. I have a B10 with map but no counters and several without the map. I will most likely scan the counters for the X10s and for the B10s the map is a necessity (but a pain to scan).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:49 pm 

TheMilford wrote:

I don't like it.

TBH, I am a big proponent of going after infringers, I just don't see the big deal here. :)  He has a majority of the original contents of the set and is making it clear what's not original, so I don't have a problem with this listing myself.

I have other issues with this seller per say(i.e I think that he may have shilled some of his other auctions a few months ago), but I think this particular listing is ok.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:05 pm 

bujoojoo wrote:Anyone see this already? Appears to be photocopies of char sheets

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 0355714820

Those looked just like the ones I played with back in the 80s... which I copied myself.  :lol:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:58 pm 

Busman wrote:
Those looked just like the ones I played with back in the 80s... which I copied myself.  :lol:

The fact that there are 70 indicates photocopies. I do not think those sheets came in white either. But my knowledge of all the varioius character sheets can be lacking at times.

Regardless, those sheets are available on ebay all the time for next to nothing. I have at least five or six partially used books that came in various lot purchases. They will never sell, anyway.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 99 of 111123 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100 ... 109110111