Sellers who infringed upon copyrights; reported.
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 96 of 111123 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:30 pm 

If someone doesn't think they can make a buck off it, sometimes they don't defend their copyright or abandon it entirely.

In a case I'm familiar with, Conde Nast publications stopped defending copyright of many of their pulp characters. Many of the pulp stories were on the edge of becoming public domain, and apparantly Conde Nast didn't value the property anymore.  This includes such pulp characters as The Spider, Doc Savage, and the Shadow. There are tons of cd roms, reprints and downloads out there, with no attention paid to the copyright, and no one defending it anymore.  This follows many years of Conde Nast being very proactive in defending their property and attempting to charge outrageous fees for the reprint rights to series such as Doc Savage (rumor was the Conde Nast wanted a million bucks for the rights to Doc, who although one of my favorite pulp characters at this point isn't worth half that on the general market).  Finally it seems they just gave up policing the flood of illegal reprints and downloads and now they are very easily found on Ebay and elsewhere.

It takes two to tango, and a company not vigorously defending a copyright just gives this sort of activity the appearance of tacit approval.  I'm surprised at some of the stuff that ends up in the public domain, and suprised large companies with somthing to lose like Hasbro don't do more to defend themselves.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:44 pm 

Badmike wrote:If someone doesn't think they can make a buck off it, sometimes they don't defend their copyright or abandon it entirely.

In a case I'm familiar with, Conde Nast publications stopped defending copyright of many of their pulp characters. Many of the pulp stories were on the edge of becoming public domain, and apparantly Conde Nast didn't value the property anymore.  This includes such pulp characters as The Spider, Doc Savage, and the Shadow. There are tons of cd roms, reprints and downloads out there, with no attention paid to the copyright, and no one defending it anymore.  This follows many years of Conde Nast being very proactive in defending their property and attempting to charge outrageous fees for the reprint rights to series such as Doc Savage (rumor was the Conde Nast wanted a million bucks for the rights to Doc, who although one of my favorite pulp characters at this point isn't worth half that on the general market).  Finally it seems they just gave up policing the flood of illegal reprints and downloads and now they are very easily found on Ebay and elsewhere.

It takes two to tango, and a company not vigorously defending a copyright just gives this sort of activity the appearance of tacit approval.  I'm surprised at some of the stuff that ends up in the public domain, and suprised large companies with somthing to lose like Hasbro don't do more to defend themselves.

Mike B.

The General Mags from Avalon Hill probably don't belong to Hasbro. Hasbro was after only a handful of properties, many Avalon Hill games simply reveretd back to the authors and the General Magazine was probably a worse kettle of fish to sift through then Dragon Magazine had ever been. But these SOBs doing the bootlegs on ebay need to have just one of the authors sue them, I just don't know if any individual has the money to spend on the lawsuit (and they probably wouldn't get anything but legal costs and more than likely not even that).

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:57 am 

Noticed this DVD of Twilight 2000 .pdfs yesterday:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

The same seller has a Shadowrun DVD, DC Heroes DVD, and The Maxx cartoon series DVD.  Already submitted them to Ebay.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:00 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Noticed this DVD of Twilight 2000 .pdfs yesterday:

The same seller has a Shadowrun DVD, DC Heroes DVD, and The Maxx cartoon series DVD.  Already submitted them to Ebay.

I think I reported the DC Heroes one several days ago.  Ah, eBay is on the ball as always, huh? :roll:

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:30 am 

g026r wrote:
I think I reported the DC Heroes one several days ago.  Ah, eBay is on the ball as always, huh? :roll:

From the fight that Ebay had with France I think ebay is fine with bootlegs and will only take them down when threatened seriously.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:21 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:
From the fight that Ebay had with France I think ebay is fine with bootlegs and will only take them down when threatened seriously.

It seems ebay does not watch out for bootlegs or illegal copies, but instead relies on the public to do it for them. So not only do they make money from us (the public), we also work for them for free.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:13 pm 

xraygord wrote:
It seems ebay does not watch out for bootlegs or illegal copies, but instead relies on the public to do it for them. So not only do they make money from us (the public), we also work for them for free.

Which is why I no longer participate in nailing these assholes....if Ebay can't be relied upon to clean up their own yard, I'll be damned if I'm going to volunteer my free time to sweep the sidewalk for them.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:58 am 

Badmike wrote:
Which is why I no longer participate in nailing these assholes....if Ebay can't be relied upon to clean up their own yard, I'll be damned if I'm going to volunteer my free time to sweep the sidewalk for them.

Mike B.

What we probably need to do find a company that will take on ebay like in france...then tell the company, not ebay, and see if it flows on to the rest...

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:27 am 

beasterbrook wrote:What we probably need to do find a company that will take on ebay like in france...then tell the company, not ebay, and see if it flows on to the rest...

Well... Warner Brothers owns DC -- and they have deep pockets. ;)

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:53 am 

Far Future Enterprises still owns the rights to Twilight 2000 and they sell DVD compilations of the T2K books.

http://www.farfuture.net/

No idea how to contact them though....or if they would care.  :|

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:22 am 

Badmike wrote:

Mike B.

They are really opening themselves up for a class-action lawsuit.  They say on their site what items and what kinds of auctions are illegal, and yet these sales continue while eBay takes in profits from these illegal sales.  Furthermore, a case could be strengthed by maintaining that the size of their staff is inadequate to monitor its sales.  Asking the community to help is fine, but it should not be their first line of defense.  eBay is trying to maximize profits at the risk of skirting the law.   :roll:   Shameful for them and hurtful to buyers. :x

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:00 pm 

benjoshua wrote:
They are really opening themselves up for a class-action lawsuit.  They say on their site what items and what kinds of auctions are illegal, and yet these sales continue while eBay takes in profits from these illegal sales.  Furthermore, a case could be strengthed by maintaining that the size of their staff is inadequate to monitor its sales.  Asking the community to help is fine, but it should not be their first line of defense.  eBay is trying to maximize profits at the risk of skirting the law.   :roll:   Shameful for them and hurtful to buyers. :x

How is the French lawsuit working out for them?  An example of not defending a copyright that bit Ebay on the ass...although they'll probably just settle in the end.  Still, that was a huge chunk of change IIRC.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:56 pm 

What is GSL again?

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:54 am 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:What is GSL again?

Game System License

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:50 pm 

I like the $5.00 optional insurance for a $9.99 purchase

Mercenary Roadie

When The Money's Gone
                  So Are We!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:27 am 

Rob was never paid by TSR for Maze of Xaene. The company owned the title, but not the content. I believe a sale of a copy of that manuscript violates Rob's IP.

Additionally, employees of TSR and Trigee signed confidentiality agreements for the exact purpose of their work byproduct never being sold by them in competition with the original author's legal IP, or the company's representation of that IP. So, I don't believe any rights can be altered through happenstance or simple possession.

Under what rights is that manuscript being offered for sale on this site in Frank's Warehouse thread?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:43 am 

enshook wrote:Under what rights is that manuscript being offered for sale on this site in Frank's Warehouse thread?

The piece is a computer printout only. The offering is strictly for those sheets of paper, and purchaser acquires no other ownership or rights. Those same terms (explicitly excluding any & all IP rights/ownership) apply to every item in the Manuscript Warehouse.

I purchased various items from Rob in the '80s, and no rights were conferred in any case. What I bought were the artifacts/objects only.

And if Rob wants Xaene removed from the offerings, as a special case, he need only ask me; I'll be happy to comply and keep it in my archives.

:)

F

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:48 pm 

enshook wrote:Rob was never paid by TSR for Maze of Xaene. The company owned the title, but not the content. I believe a sale of a copy of that manuscript violates Rob's IP.

Additionally, employees of TSR and Trigee signed confidentiality agreements for the exact purpose of their work byproduct never being sold by them in competition with the original author's legal IP, or the company's representation of that IP. So, I don't believe any rights can be altered through happenstance or simple possession.

Under what rights is that manuscript being offered for sale on this site in Frank's Warehouse thread?

I really don't have a dog in this fight but umm, unless I am mistaken, Rob on 2 seperate occasions was paid in full ahead of time for projects from 2 different companies  that he never completed.  As far as I know, he also never returned any of those advanced payments either.  Perhaps he should deal with those issues first before trying to cry foul here.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 96 of 111123 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 109110111