Sellers who infringed upon copyrights; reported.
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 92 of 111123 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:08 am 

sauromatian wrote:
Don't think I've ever seen a female player of serious wargames; WizKids Pirates is the exception. Rather than having a bunch of little phalluses on the table, a ship is a 'she' & looks it. In WizKids rules system, a Schooner-class vessel can rotate on her stern. Very alluring to watch.

CCGs events at the local games shop here are about 30% female. You often see couples playing CCGs together.

i dont really go in for all that stuff, but i DO like to watch folk who really know what they are doing, playing a game.

i was enthralled at GenCon last year, where i managed to watch a bunch of guys re-enacting a miniature battle of hoth (star wars) on a huge battlefield. it looked really cool and it was very enjoyable watching them really getting into the game.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:00 am 

Hi,

interestingly, Wizkids Pirates is aclassed as a CCG over here, not a wargame. At least, most of the people you ever see playing it are card players.

A lot less female CCG players here. At M-Fest last year there were 700 attendees, of which roughly 12 were female.

The wargamers in the UK now sometimes bring wifes along. There was a huge fuss at Salute (big wargames show) last year as they had Nazi re-enactors who had wifes and kids in little SS uniforms.

Cheers,
malc

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:07 am 

lawrenson wrote:Hi,

interestingly, Wizkids Pirates is aclassed as a CCG over here, not a wargame. At least, most of the people you ever see playing it are card players.

A lot less female CCG players here. At M-Fest last year there were 700 attendees, of which roughly 12 were female.

The wargamers in the UK now sometimes bring wifes along. There was a huge fuss at Salute (big wargames show) last year as they had Nazi re-enactors who had wifes and kids in little SS uniforms.

Cheers,
malc

I don't think having kids in SS uniforms is about re-enacting.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:43 am 

lawrenson wrote:

Wow.  If that had happened in the US, it would have made national news... 8O  Every convention I have ever been to or worked has a specific clause in the rules prohibiting Nazi costumes or memorabilia being sold or worn.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:50 am 

Well, I didnt see it on the news, but about 2 months later there was a TV program about WWII re-enactors, where the presenter tried his damnedest to show them as fascists, and (I thought) failed miserably.
A surprisingly high number were in the waffen ss corps tho - possibly because they had the smartest uniform...

There was an awful big fuss on the wargames circuit here tho, and the organisers of Salute sent out letters of apology to all the exhibitors.

Personally, it didnt bother me a lot. It might not be great to remember these things all the time, but we shouldnt just pretend they never happened.

Cheers,
malc

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:22 am 

lawrenson wrote:Well, I didnt see it on the news, but about 2 months later there was a TV program about WWII re-enactors, where the presenter tried his damnedest to show them as fascists, and (I thought) failed miserably.
A surprisingly high number were in the waffen ss corps tho - possibly because they had the smartest uniform...

There was an awful big fuss on the wargames circuit here tho, and the organisers of Salute sent out letters of apology to all the exhibitors.

Personally, it didnt bother me a lot. It might not be great to remember these things all the time, but we shouldnt just pretend they never happened.

Cheers,
malc

prb affects others more, who maybe were a little closer to them things than maybe you or i were....or something like that....

i just think its bad form

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:14 pm 

Well, the Wife had a lot of affected family.

She lost an uncle fighting the germans in the retreat thru italy at the end of the war, and one of her grandfathers was in the merchant navy, and sunk 3 times!

Her grannie wouldnt have any Japanese items - including electrical - in the house because she knew a Burma railway survivor.

Cheers,
malc

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:48 pm 

lawrenson wrote:Her grannie wouldnt have any Japanese items - including electrical - in the house because she knew a Burma railway survivor.

I'd respond to that, but won't because you're British & I know a colonialism survivor.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:17 pm 

lawrenson wrote:A surprisingly high number were in the waffen ss corps tho - possibly because they had the smartest uniform...

Nazis had all of the cool-looking uniforms and weapons, but the direct connection between the accoutrements and the actions are too fresh and real to be broken cleanly.  The Stars and Bars flag has the same problem here in the United States --- it's a nice design, but it has too many negative associations.

Didn't Dragonsfoot have a nice flamewar about this a year or two ago?  Ah, well.  Now back to the wargames discussion . . .

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:45 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:
Didn't Dragonsfoot have a nice flamewar about this a year or two ago?  Ah, well.  Now back to the wargames discussion . . .

It would be easier to list the things Dragonsfoot hasn't had a flamewar over!

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:22 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:Nazis had all of the cool-looking uniforms and weapons, but the direct connection between the accoutrements and the actions are too fresh and real to be broken cleanly.  The Stars and Bars flag has the same problem here in the United States --- it's a nice design, but it has too many negative associations.

There is a sci-fi book, I can only remember something about Iron being in the title, about an alternate universe where Hitler moved to the USA as a boy and became a sci-fi writer. His fans would go to conventions dressed in these uniforms he designed, with banners and emblems, etc... It was mainly about how incredibly racist sci-fi tends to be, where aliens are all either warlike and ignorant, greedy and sniveling, crafty and backstabbing, and instead of having all kinds of different cultures have a single generalized culture that they are all like...

Anyway, that's what this discussion reminds me of. I do know that dressing children up as nazi's is just plain sick.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:49 am 

It's The Iron Dream by Norman Spinrad.

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:04 am 

found this:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

...who's gonna manage it?  :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:52 am 

I'm working him.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:15 am 

JZavoda wrote:
There is a sci-fi book, I can only remember something about Iron being in the title, about an alternate universe where Hitler moved to the USA as a boy and became a sci-fi writer. His fans would go to conventions dressed in these uniforms he designed, with banners and emblems, etc... It was mainly about how incredibly racist sci-fi tends to be, where aliens are all either warlike and ignorant, greedy and sniveling, crafty and backstabbing, and instead of having all kinds of different cultures have a single generalized culture that they are all like...

Anyway, that's what this discussion reminds me of. I do know that dressing children up as nazi's is just plain sick.

Reminds me of race day at any Nascar track in the south, were the Stars and Bars are flown proudly, despite the negative connotations attached.  There are still people out there than think the US Civil War was fought to "Free the Slaves"; it was a bit more complicated.  Regardless, oddly enough it seems a certain level of cretin will always delight in promoting something they only dimly understand by hanging such flags on their cars while at the track.  There are people who RESPECTFULLY use the uniforms to demonstrate history and run historical re-enactments...

Tangentally, I have to think the reason there has never been a Jonah Hex movie made (despite his being probably one of the top ten coolest, bad ass characters in comics history) is because he wears a confederate jacket (having served in the South in the War).  I wouldn't be surprised, if a movie does get made someday, they retro-fit some lame-ass explanation on his character that he was really a Union soldier; or that he was a "spy" for the Union, or that they just do away with the jacket and background altogether to make his cursing, killing, uncouth bounty hunter character more PC and palatable for the general audience.  When you can't sanitize something, just ignore it I guess... :roll: Despite the fact his origin makes clear he served with the south during the war to join a friend that enlisted, yet didn't agree with many of their beliefs, like a lot of soldiers in many wars throughout history.....

That being said, I agree with JZ, dressing up kids in Nazi uniforms is pretty sad...and Iron Dream is a great book.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:42 am 

aia wrote:found this:

DUNGEONS-AND-DRAGONS-USEFUL-INFO-ON-DISC_W0QQitemZ180250106698

...who's gonna manage it?  :D

4 Gigs of data on playing as an Ant PC?  That's got to be official product.

:wink:

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:59 am 

Badmike wrote:...and Iron Dream is a great book.

I found Iron Dream to be a great but uncomfortable book.

On the one hand it's this fun, pulpy space opera.  On the other hand, the heroes are all Nazis.  (Which, of course, was the point of the book and its commentary on science fiction.)

Took me forever to find a copy though.  In the end I had to order one from a seller in England.

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:18 am 

g026r wrote:
I found Iron Dream to be a great but uncomfortable book.

On the one hand it's this fun, pulpy space opera.  On the other hand, the heroes are all Nazis.  (Which, of course, was the point of the book and its commentary on science fiction.)

Took me forever to find a copy though.  In the end I had to order one from a seller in England.

The Iron Dream is that rare entertainment that is actually MORE controversial in later years....if anyone attempted that book now, they would be destroyed (if they even got it published).  Kind of like the TV show "All in the Family"....a classic that was edgy in the 70s and would be IMPOSSIBLE to broadcast now in our PC world....

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 92 of 111123 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93 ... 109110111