Sellers who infringed upon copyrights; reported.
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 91 of 111123 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 ... 109110111
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:14 pm 

3.5E on disc

Dungeons and Dragons Huge Book Lot on Disc | eBay

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:02 pm 

Grug Greyskin wrote:3.5E on disc

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Didn't take long, that auction is gone :)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:28 pm 

heres another:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

in his auction, he states:

"Attention Ebay: This Auction Listing conforms to all eBay rules. The listed item can be found in the public domain"

is that true?

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:36 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:"Attention Ebay: This Auction Listing conforms to all eBay rules. The listed item can be found in the public domain"

is that true?

:lol: Not even close.

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:01 pm 

g026r wrote:
:lol: Not even close.

I doubt it. There are a bunch of guys in the wargames listings making copies and bootlegs and expansions of Avalon Hill/SPI/Victory Games items. The ownership of the various titles for most of their products is in limbo. AH didn't sell wotc all their property, some reverted back to the designers, some were sold off to other companies, but most are languishing. Since they aren't being defended they will probably go to public domain, as long as they wren't worth much of anything.

The wargamne market today is almost nill. Game companies print 500 copies of a new game and most won't print them until they get the pre-orders first. Imagine a product that can't sell 500 copies worldwide. I'd guess that RPGs do much better but still not enough to make a big big company take any interest.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:09 pm 

JZavoda wrote:The wargamne market today is almost nill.

Is there a particular kind of wargame that you're thinking of? Like the classic AH Bookcase Game type with hexes & counters?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:15 pm 

I'm feeling somewhat dense today.  Before I make any further posts: are you agreeing or disagreeing with me on them not being public domain? :?

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:23 pm 

g026r wrote:I'm feeling somewhat dense today.  Before I make any further posts: are you agreeing or disagreeing with me on them not being public domain? :?

I agree :)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:36 pm 

g026r wrote:I'm feeling somewhat dense today.  Before I make any further posts: are you agreeing or disagreeing with me on them not being public domain? :?

I don't think that they are public domain yet, but will be if no one enforces their copyrights.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:38 pm 

sauromatian wrote:
Is there a particular kind of wargame that you're thinking of? Like the classic AH Bookcase Game type with hexes & counters?

Hex & Counter certainly but other types as well. take a look at the current wargame publishers, GMT, Avalanche, Lock'n Load, they all have their P500 lists, pre-order 500 before they produce the game or have it reprinted.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:53 pm 

JZavoda wrote:Hex & Counter certainly but other types as well. take a look at the current wargame publishers, GMT, Avalanche, Lock'n Load, they all have their P500 lists, pre-order 500 before they produce the game or have it reprinted.

Not surprising, but I've been looking at it from a different perspective. There are two large game stores in my area, one specializing in the pop variety like collectible minis & Warhammer, the other devoted to serious napoleonics. Both seem to have devoted more shelf space in recent years to a profusion of slickly produced wargames. Someone out there has been buying these expensive toys.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:09 pm 

sauromatian wrote:
Not surprising, but I've been looking at it from a different perspective. There are two large game stores in my area, one specializing in the pop variety like collectible minis & Warhammer, the other devoted to serious napoleonics. Both seem to have devoted more shelf space in recent years to a profusion of slickly produced wargames. Someone out there has been buying these expensive toys.

I know I do, and all it takes for a small store is to have a handful of devoted wargamers, but nationwide wargaming is pretty dead. I'm lucky enough to live near to Lancaster PA which hosts a wargaming convention (and this the area where Avalon Hill used to be located so they had their convention for years.

But wargames have gotten better. The old systems had plenty of bugs. THe last 40 years of wargaming have worked out most of them. Players have gone over games and scenarios in depth and the modern wargames are benifitting from all the mistakes of previous systems. There are complex games, massively complex games, and plenty of smooth introductory games. There are systems that have modular games and scenarios that let you build up to the more complex rules.

The wargaming hobby is a very small niche but the wargames that are being produced today are some of the best ever made.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:14 pm 

Hi,

I can only speak from my experience in the UK, and this is a generalisation, but:

Wargamers - the richest of the gaming community. Tend to be slightly older before they get married, decent job, very "middle class". Mostly male. New wargames are very expensive, but if they want it, they'll buy it.

CCG players - young. Have money for the right cards, but will sleep in a gaming hall to save a bit. Mostly male.

Roleplayers - the poorest of the bunch. Tend to do more arty type jobs, and have less money. More women in this group than the others.

Cheers,
malc

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:22 pm 

lawrenson wrote:Hi,

I can only speak from my experience in the UK, and this is a generalisation, but:

Wargamers - the richest of the gaming community. Tend to be slightly older before they get married, decent job, very "middle class". Mostly male. New wargames are very expensive, but if they want it, they'll buy it.

CCG players - young. Have money for the right cards, but will sleep in a gaming hall to save a bit. Mostly male.

Roleplayers - the poorest of the bunch. Tend to do more arty type jobs, and have less money. More women in this group than the others.

Cheers,
malc

I think on boardgamegeek they did a survey and the lower end age of wargamers was 38

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:54 pm 

Don't quite get the landscaping and tape measure stuff myself. I did really enjoy Battletech in it's hayday, but played on mapboards with hexes. I really couldn't do the scenery and tape measure even for that, let alone little guys on horses. I guess I'm the poor arty sort.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:47 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Don't quite get the landscaping and tape measure stuff myself. I did really enjoy Battletech in it's hayday, but played on mapboards with hexes. I really couldn't do the scenery and tape measure even for that, let alone little guys on horses. I guess I'm the poor arty sort.

You mean those miniatures games? I prefer map boards myself. When I say wargames I mean the board, hex and counter games for the most part.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:44 pm 

I remember playing Little Bighorn once. It was a long time ago, and it didn't fire the imagination to go and play any more.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:21 am 

lawrenson wrote:Wargamers - the richest of the gaming community. Tend to be slightly older before they get married, decent job, very "middle class". Mostly male. New wargames are very expensive, but if they want it, they'll buy it.

Don't think I've ever seen a female player of serious wargames; WizKids Pirates is the exception. Rather than having a bunch of little phalluses on the table, a ship is a 'she' & looks it. In WizKids rules system, a Schooner-class vessel can rotate on her stern. Very alluring to watch.

CCGs events at the local games shop here are about 30% female. You often see couples playing CCGs together.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 91 of 111123 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 ... 109110111