Sellers who infringed upon copyrights; reported.
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 67 of 111123 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:13 pm 

Good luck with the online PDF store.

He's the guy who manufactures and sells the Ares Magazine and Universe  Archive. I've known about him for almost five years now. He has always had his online PDF store, and he's not been shut doen yet.

WoTC know about him too. His business doesn't seem to make that much money, 'cos very few people know about him. But he's deffinately been online since 2001.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:20 pm 

Marlith wrote:
faro wrote:
Reported to eBay, their ISP and PayPal...

Feeling like a slouch.....all I did was report it to eBay

Well, that's the eBay listing gone. Relisted on http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8830654450 without the link to their site.

With any luck they'll get their eBay user ID suspended next time.

===
edit: Well, I've gone for the kill, off the back of the above.

=> eBay: Redirect

User ID hu11114 still has links to their own website SELLING copyright-violating items ( 404 Not Found -  iiNet Australia ).
Link is present on almost every one of their current auctions; eBay listings .

Thank you for cancelling their previous auction 8830155701 - now relisted on 8830654450 without the offending link.

Regards,
David. (harami2000)

Anyone else joining in?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:15 am 

i've e-mailed e-abay again with the new item no.

Al

***edit***

and i followed your link and e-mailed the ISP too.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:55 am 

I leave this one to you guys, who are the experts at getting these guys shut down:

"Classic module"

This "Classic module"...is a friggin' photocopy of Q1.  Even shows a picture of it!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:36 am 

DungeonDelver wrote:I leave this one to you guys, who are the experts at getting these guys shut down:

"Classic module"

This "Classic module"...is a friggin' photocopy of Q1.  Even shows a picture of it!

I understand the staunch "no tolerance" attitude that many adopt, but to me, this one isn't as bad.  What do I mean?

Probably, this was photocopied years ago, possibly for personal use, possibly not.  It definitely wasn't specifically photocopied/PDFed for sale and profit.  It really does seem like a genuine "throw in" that the seller probably should have just trashed/kept to themselves.  

Go after him if you want, but try to be polite.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:59 am 

deimos3428 wrote:I understand the staunch "no tolerance" attitude that many adopt, but to me, this one isn't as bad.  What do I mean?

Probably, this was photocopied years ago, possibly for personal use, possibly not.  It definitely wasn't specifically photocopied/PDFed for sale and profit.  It really does seem like a genuine "throw in" that the seller probably should have just trashed/kept to themselves.  

Go after him if you want, but try to be polite.

yeah i agree. i dont think its one of them for profit situations. looks like a one-off to me.

maybe just a msg to the seller would hopefully sort it out. it might have been fine if it was added onto the auction for "free" but he doesnt quite say that.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:07 pm 

This looks like a copyright infringement. In the item write up the description is:

"enrire book in digital format, ,
its an Ebook, in which the whole book has been scanned
into digital acrobat format,
for ease of use and eliminates printing costs. This means lower costs all round.[i]"

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:11 pm 

Just thinking...if I own a copy of the work in question, is buying an unauthorized electronic copy still a violation of copyright law?

Mark  8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:23 pm 

Why, thank you. He's stealing my work and my royalties.
Time to notify the US and Canadian governments.
Maybe I can have him shot...

(Later:)

I contacted seller cliveantom about his sale of a scanned version of Marvelous Magic (he's in Norwich, Norfolk, UK), and he sneered. ::shrug:: And then eBay pulled it, possibly after my formal Complaint.

Does the UK recognize American copyright law?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:53 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:Just thinking...if I own a copy of the work in question, is buying an unauthorized electronic copy still a violation of copyright law?

Buying and/or possession of an unauthorized copy, electronic or not, is generally not a violation of copyright law.  Selling and/or distribution of said items are, regardless of whether or not the buyer already has a copy.  Making a copy is usually legal, if it is for personal use.  The media in question is irrelevant, so long as you don't breach the conditions of the "Digital Millennium Copyright Act".

You should definitely read the US Code, Title 17, Chapters 1, 5, & 12 (the last being the much-hated DMCA).  International copyright law is relatively standard, as most countries have adoped a framework known as the Berne convention.   However, I am not a lawyer.  :wink:

U.S. Copyright Office - Copyright Law of the United States

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:04 pm 

Is that true?  A lot of books state that they can in no part be copied or converted into a different type of media.  In some cases the books explicitly says you are allowed to photocopy the character sheets or players map but that's all.

I don't think it is legal to make a copy even if you own the product.  But I don't think you would ever get charged for doing this either.  The popo have better things to do.  Copying and selling for profit is a more serious offence.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:15 pm 

I was just looking at the copyright code and will point out this:

§ 506. Criminal offenses5

(a) Criminal Infringement. - Any person who infringes a copyright willfully either -

(1) for purposes of commercial advantage or private financial gain, or

(2) by the reproduction or distribution, including by electronic means, during any 180-day period, of 1 or more copies or phonorecords of 1 or more copyrighted works, which have a total retail value of more than $1,000

Suppose you made yourself a copy of ST1 for your own safe keeping.  This would then be a crimial offence.  By (2) you have made a reproduction of something which has a retail value of $1,000.  I guess they would have to argue that the copy was actually worth that much though - maybe.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:14 pm 

Mars wrote:I was just looking at the copyright code and will point out this:

§ 506. Criminal offenses5

(a) Criminal Infringement. - Any person who infringes a copyright willfully either -

(1) for purposes of commercial advantage or private financial gain, or

(2) by the reproduction or distribution, including by electronic means, during any 180-day period, of 1 or more copies or phonorecords of 1 or more copyrighted works, which have a total retail value of more than $1,000

Suppose you made yourself a copy of ST1 for your own safe keeping.  This would then be a crimial offence.  By (2) you have made a reproduction of something which has a retail value of $1,000.  I guess they would have to argue that the copy was actually worth that much though - maybe.

Nope.  You didn't finish the legal sentence, there.  I'll paraphrase, taking out the superfluous bits:

"Anyone who infringes a copyright of something worth $1000...."

and that's it, we're left hanging.  What happens to them?  Well, the section goes on to state:

US Code wrote:shall be punished as provided under section 2319 of title 18, United States Code. For purposes of this subsection, evidence of reproduction or distribution of a copyrighted work, by itself, shall not be sufficient to establish willful infringement.

There ya go.  So if you do infringe, willingly, and do it on something expensive, it becomes a criminal offense.  You can go to jail, as opposed to just paying fines and such.  If you want the juicy details, read title 18, section 2319.  Up to ten years!  8O

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:19 pm 

Does anyone else find it strange that two Canucks are debating the US Code?  Man, our laws are boring!  :lol:

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:11 pm 

And I suppose the Canadian codes make interesting reading?   8O

For instance, here is the equivalent code in the Canadian law books:

"Aye...ya cannah' make yer copies o' stuff fer nuthin', aye? Avec parlez le codes du legal non copy par fu les carbonage, no?"

You see...law in Canada is just as boring and technical as law in the US, with the added complication of parallel translations in Latin.   :D

Mark   8)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:28 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:For instance, here is the equivalent code in the Canadian law books:

"Aye...ya cannah' make yer copies o' stuff fer nuthin', aye? Avec parlez le codes du legal non copy par fu les carbonage, no?"

That must be from one of the pirate provinces out east.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:21 pm 

** expired/removed eBay auction **

DVD of D&D, AD&D, Call of Cthulu, Star Wars, Star Trek, War Hammer etc

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:01 pm 

Reported him.   8)

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 67 of 111123 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 109110111