Sellers who infringed upon copyrights; reported.
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 58 of 111123 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 109110111
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:07 pm 

Kaskoid wrote:Unless they have radically changed the copyright laws since I was publishing, (I'm 99.9998% sure they haven't) selling PDFs is no different than selling a set of photocopies. It is stealing someone else's intellectual property, like bootlegging CDs or DVDs.

The law is quite clear; third parties may not profit from reproducing other persons' intellectual property without express permission.

The auction that talks about "14 pages of links" claims to not be selling PDFs (or text files).  I suppose that some of his links could be links to illegal PDFs.  Illegal PDFs are fairly easy to find, especially if one uses some Torrent client.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:47 pm 

Now selling links is not illegal. Even if you sell links to illegally copied materials, the copyright holder would have to prove that you knew it was illegal and intended to profit by its distribution, and even then, in the UK you wouldn't be able to make that stick.

It is completely different distributing copyrighted material under the law in the UK. Hell, under Scottish law someone is allowed to own as much pirated materials as he likes. There is nothing illegal about it. In order to prosecute, one has to prove intent to distribute for profit, and that has to be predicated by a physical action.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:59 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Now selling links is not illegal. Even if you sell links to illegally copied materials, the copyright holder would have to prove that you knew it was illegal and intended to profit by its distribution, and even then, in the UK you wouldn't be able to make that stick.

All very true.  (Plus, you're not the one distributing in that scenario -- the site that holds the illegal content is the distributor.  You're just mentioning it.  Kinda like pointing at a drug dealer, and saying "he's over there" isn't illegal.)  

However, in the future it may be illegal to use such links, if certain web ad companies get their way.  (They don't like you going directly to content, even free content, without clicking through the entire site.  You see, they want to make it illegal to avoid their ads...)

As far as I've heard, no specific laws to that effect have yet been passed, fortunately.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:38 pm 

This is exactly what I wanted to see when I came home from work  today: :roll:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Check out the Q&A on my Jade Hare auction and look at my response. God am I irritated right now.  :x  :x  :x    I really should have blasted him, but I figured I would be better of not stooping.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:20 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:Now selling links is not illegal. Even if you sell links to illegally copied materials, the copyright holder would have to prove that you knew it was illegal and intended to profit by its distribution, and even then, in the UK you wouldn't be able to make that stick.

All very true.  (Plus, you're not the one distributing in that scenario -- the site that holds the illegal content is the distributor.  You're just mentioning it.  Kinda like pointing at a drug dealer, and saying "he's over there" isn't illegal.)  

However, in the future it may be illegal to use such links, if certain web ad companies get their way.  (They don't like you going directly to content, even free content, without clicking through the entire site.  You see, they want to make it illegal to avoid their ads...)

As far as I've heard, no specific laws to that effect have yet been passed, fortunately.

Interesting to see American politicians trying to sell that one to US voters.  

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:21 pm 

bclarkie wrote:This is exactly what I wanted to see when I came home from work  today: :roll:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Check out the Q&A on my Jade Hare auction and look at my response. God am I irritated right now.  :x  :x  :x    I really should have blasted him, but I figured I would be better of not stooping.

Very tactful.   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:11 pm 

I imagine you can sell a list of links to anyone that wants to buy.

However, I was referring to the CDs with all the PDF files; those are blatantly illegal.

Nemesis of the Annoyingly Dense
Guidelines, not rules...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:14 pm 

Another pdf jerk-off:

cdvisions in Toys & Hobbies| eBay

2 of them. :roll:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:08 pm 

Looks like gaunter666
eBay Feedback Profile for gauntner666
is no longer a registered user. Anybody know if he actually shipped that large auction of his back in Feb(Its was like $1102). Its no longer trackable and neither left feedback.

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:28 pm 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:Looks like gaunter666
is no longer a registered user. Anybody know if he actually shipped that large auction of his back in Feb(Its was like $1102). Its no longer trackable and neither left feedback.

Well here is the link to that auction:

Over 250 items of 1 2 3 3 5 edition ultimate Book Lot | eBay

Myabe the next time jastner comes around here he can say for sure. He posts here under the name of intelligator

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:31 pm 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:Looks like gaunter666

(Slightly off-topic, but I am not gaunter666.  I also live nowhere near Pennsylvania.)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:35 pm 

All from the same seller...

Ultimate 145 D&D REFERENCE Books on one DVD!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8798418683

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8797685984
(10 copies available)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8798078254
(5 copies available)

And just to be different...

Ultimate 148 D&D REFERENCE Books on one DVD!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8798435279
(100 copies available)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:05 pm 

And another two:

Dungeons and Dragons Complete | eBay

:roll:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:07 pm 

Today must be E-Book day:

Dungeons and Dragons Books | eBay

:x

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:47 pm 

B-man, please go to this and bid me up to $3,000:

eBay

This will be a painful lesson for his ass.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:48 pm 

Oops.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... ores_W0_IT

Actually, anyone who can before it ends.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:50 pm 

Hmmm. Someone just bought $50,000 worth of e-books.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:55 pm 

The e-mail:

Hello!!!
First of all, thank you for buying this item. Second of all, I am showing that you have bought not only 1 complete set of D&D, but also bought 9999 copies...for a grand total of 49,900.00...that is not a typo...that is fourty nine thousand, nine hundred dollars. I do believe this is a mistake....you MUST contact me and we will go through the proper steps to clear this up. But, if you do want to pay 49,900.00...I only accept PayPal...PLEASE contact me...after all, this is a leagally binding contract and will take some time to sort out. YOU MUST CONTACT ME...please...
Thank you,
cardshark17044

Hmmm, the proper steps. Let me see.....

1. Inform seller that the product is illegal and therefore payment would constitute infringement.

2. Proceed to leave 9,999 negatives.

3. Laugh like a rabid hyena on crack.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 58 of 111123 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 109110111