I7 - Baltron's Beacon, missing a page...
Author

** Banned **

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:52 pm 

Not sure if I should post this here or in another section but wanted to know if some kind soul could copy and send (via snail mail or PDF?) pages 15/16 & 17/18 from module I7. I got a copy of it today but it's missing the very middle page insert. Thanks in advance!!

** Banned **

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:24 am 

No luck ey? No one has a copy of this module? Must be really rare...   :?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:59 am 

I do have a copy, but I won't tear off the shrinkwrap to scan you a page. On the other hand, as I wrote in another thread, it can easily be found on the net, IF you know where to look.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:30 am 

And...that would be....?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:38 am 

That would be in places which are illegal to list because they make items which are covered by copyright available. And even if one just wants to have a backup copy of something he owns, these places remain illegal, because distributing copyrighted material is just that.

Of course, if I were searching for copyrighted material, I would first look on P2P networks (you can fid almost anything in there), though downloading from P2P can be slow and sometimes you don't find what you are searching. More expert people might search on IRC bots, but that would require knowing where are IRC bots distributing TSR manuals, and I won't gladly write it in a forum. Plus, I don't even know if these bots are still up and running.

So who's interested should look for copyrighted materials on the usual P2P networks (those that everyone knows) and do it with the knowledge that if they download something they don't own they are not only violating the DMCA (which in my opinion violates several laws by itself and shouldn't even exist, but that's a different matter), violation which happens even if you download something you own, but also infringing copyright laws, which is a bit worse.

On the other hand, I'm not sure WotC would care that much about the free distribution of items on which they don't gain anymore, unless someone else makes money on that.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:36 am 

Ack!  I feel like a copyright felon just for asking!   :x

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:39 pm 

I7 was one of those modules I swore I had until I put my excel list together last fall. No dice. Been scanning for one for at least six months now.

It shows up, but you are gonna pay. And for some damn reason, they always seem beat up, missing pages, written all over the damn place or similarly abused...

My patience is running thin, though. I will find one in the next couple weeks and overpay. :evil:   I am only missing about 6 modules from all those that were printed up to 1990, and it is bugging me more as of late.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:39 pm 

In fact, I7 is not very easy to find. I bought a SW copy from Badmike, but paid good bucks for that.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:04 pm 

I have never been interested in Baltron's Beacon (now identifiable as I7).

However, the news that most copies of this publication are in rough condition piques my interest.   It must be pretty good if it gets played as opposed to just read.   :?

Hmmmm.

Mark

Verbose Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:40 pm 

Okay,  I can't resist.  I worked this one up a few years ago in reference to Baltron.  I took some liberties with Baltron's capabilities.  He seemed like a good fit for this one.  The mage that ended up with this item loves it.

Baltron's Bladestaff

Appearance:                Metallic staff in the shape of a broad sword
Approximate Size:                4' long
Approximate Weight:                4 lb. (40 GP)
Experience/GP Sale Value:        7,500/20,000

This staff was created by an innovative and slightly obsessive Cleric/Mage named Baltron.  Baltron was always disturbed by the fact that most mages, and clerics for that matter, were unable to gain the advantages of wielding a large edged weapon.  After many years of isolation, Baltron was able to create a powerful staff that enabled Mage and Clerical types to be formidable adversaries in melee combat.  Unfortunately the item was stolen from Baltron soon after its completion by an envious fellow cleric.  The current whereabouts of the Bladestaff are unknown.  

The staff's appearance is like that of a broadsword, approximately four feet long, that was made by an extremely inept weaponsmith.  What is supposed to be the blade portion is almost as wide at the middle portion of the flat of the sword as it is at the rounded blade edges.  This effect gives the "sword" the visual appearance of a four-sided diamond if viewed from the sword point.  The blade, pommel, and simple and stubby "T" guard all appear to be made of the same iron polished to a bright sheen.  The entire "sword" seems to be hollow and emits a reverberating gong-like sound when struck against a fairly hard surface.  By merely contacting the point to stone sends the reverberation through the staff.

The Bladestaff functions as an iron staff +2 when wielded by classes other that Clerical or Mage.  When the Bladestaff is wielded by either a Cleric or Mage class, the full powers of the staff can be tapped.  To activate these powers the staff must contact a semi-hard surface (DM's judgment) and the proper command word be spoken while the reverberation is within the staff.  The powers that can be invoked are as follows:

• Phantom Defenders - Up to ten animated broadswords +2 that can be called forth to protect the wielder.  When summoned, a short burst of light is emitted by each blade as it materializes in the desired location.  For attack purposes, each sword possesses 30 hp and is AC 0.  In addition, the swords can only be hit by weapons of +1 or better enchantment.  The blades gain a +1 on saves versus all other attack forms.  If so desired, the possessor can direct one or more of the blades to be utilized by fellow party members.

The swords can be arrayed in any fashion to prevent others from attacking the wielder.  The only restriction being that the swords cannot travel further than a 20' radius from the wielder.  Up to eight swords can be directed to attack a creature or person at one time, if room is available.  For attack purposes the swords have a THACO of 14.  Once a sword sustains 30 points of damage, it is destroyed permanently.  Otherwise hit points are recovered at a rate of 10 HP per 24 hours of inactivity.

This power requires only 1/6 a segment (one second) for each sword summoned and can be used once every three-day period regardless of the number of swords summoned.  The swords will remain until all foes are defeated or the possessor is slain.

• Blade Barrier as per the 6th level Clerical spell.  This power can be used once per week and is centered on a location selected by the wielder.  This barrier cannot be moved once a location and configuration are established.  The barrier remains in effect for 2 turns.

• Armor as per the 1st level Mage spell.  This power can be used twice per day and is considered to be cast at 12th level.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:17 am 

Thanks for the responses so far (and discussion as well), I got the page I was missing from a kind fellow collector! The module I got is in fine condition, it was just missing the center page. Got it at a flea market for $2 so I was happy! Had no idea it actually WAS harder to find... Cool.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:38 pm 

What a prescient discussion!

I happen to be putting up for auction the best of my two copies of I7 Baltron's Beacon this week.  This copy has never been used.  In fact, part of why I am auctioning it off is because it is in such good condition... I'm afraid to keep it any longer!  Feel free to take a crack at it.  Would love to see it go to an Acaeum member.

Bonk!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Here's a nice, big juicy scan of the actual item: