Next Generation of Roleplayers...
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:16 pm 

This thread is for the D&D parents out there, which every year seems to be a larger and larger group.  I'm not in that group yet, but will be very soon.

My daughter's about negative three to four months right now, and my wife tells me that I should read to her, which always sounds a little bit foolish to me.

However, I'm always trying to encourage my wife to take up D&D, so I took my newly acquired UK 5th printing off the shelf.  The novel format is great for this sort of thing, I suppose.  I began to read "Your First Adventure" to my unborn child.  Sadly, she has poor motor skills at this point, which would explain why she missed the goblin so many times.

A very interesting couple of hours with the family, and I think I may have created a new record for "youngest roleplayer".

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:59 pm 

I think it's a great idea.
You know, last night I was candling my turtle eggs, and it gives me an idea. If you have the wife stand sideways and hold a flashlight against one side of her belly and a book against the other, the kid should be able to read. Worth a shot?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:11 pm 

I started playing long before children arrived and continued playing for many years after they were born.

When my oldest daughter was somewhere between 8-10 she started to play, but this did not last long.  Bad dreams appeared and she became scared.  She stopped playing and never started again until she was much older.

My youngest daughter never started until she was about 15.  More success there, but the children around here had no committment.  Games were sparsely scheduled and finally fizzled out altogether.  Pity!

Gary H. Kramer

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:56 pm 

I discovered that 30 sided dice are actually pretty big and I gave a few to my daughter to play with (still supervised) without fear of her putting them in her mouth.  Same with that 100 sided dice that is rolling around.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:41 pm 

Gary, did you start her on 3E? It could explain the nightmares.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:46 pm 

I got nothin to work with at the moment, but I *am* eyeing my sister's 6 month-old.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:48 pm 

Here's my attempt at bringin them up right :)

I know some saw this one from Xmas :

Her's some from my oldest's birthday ( my death to shrink campaign continues :twisted: )

Beyondthebreach wrote:... I gave a few to my daughter to play with (still supervised) without fear of her putting them in her mouth.

Here's my solution "BINKIE" ( ok so it'll cost me 5K for braces in 6 years 8O )

Just started a group for my son with 4 of his buddies on Friday and actually got my wife to play Dungeon! with the boys....those pics are coming :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:03 am 

Beyondthebreach wrote:I discovered that 30 sided dice are actually pretty big and I gave a few to my daughter to play with (still supervised) without fear of her putting them in her mouth.  Same with that 100 sided dice that is rolling around.

Christmas of 2004 a dice mfr (Crystal Caste, perhaps, or Chessex?) released a set of over-sized (4"/side or so) classic D&D dice:  d4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 20.  They were about $40, which is why I didn't pick a set up for Ethan at the time.  

I started playing D&D at 7, and figure that Ethan (who's already interested in dragons, knights, and dice in general) will be interested more D&D/fatnasy stuff soon since he also likes to sit down and pull out games from the bookshelves, check out the pieces, roll the dice, etc.  I don't imagine that we'll get into actual playing until after he's at least 5 or so, but we'll see....

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:37 pm 

grodog wrote:Christmas of 2004 a dice mfr (Crystal Caste, perhaps, or Chessex?) released a set of over-sized (4"/side or so) classic D&D dice:  d4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 20.

I have a 4" d6.  Its a nice display piece but not practical for play as the thing can dent tables when rolled.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:23 pm 

Sorry, I didn't clarify Netrodent:  these are soft/plush dice, very suitable for gamers-still-in-diapers :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:35 pm 

To my shock, I just discovered that my kids are both rabid to play D&D.

My daughter (age 12) made a poster for a school project about her future plans.  She posted pictures of a veterinarian, college, wedding ring....and a scan of the Player's Handbook!   WHAT?   8O

My son (age 15) is playing in a game this weekend.  He told my wife, "Well, I guess daddy's never gonna run a game for me."   8O

Turns out they have grown up with "the guys" coming over for "guy night," on Saturday nights literally all of their lives.  They consider D&D something that adults do and no kids allowed.  (They're right on that last one, of course...gotta get away from the kids sometime.)  

Anyway, turns out the next generation has some wargaming to do.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:36 pm 

My kids are five, seven and nine. We play a game of Dungeon from time to time and I rationalize it with my wife becasue I make the kids do all their own math - calculating dice and adding gold.

When the five year old is around we break out the occassional Fantasy Forest.

Nothing beyond that. My wife has no clue about anything "Gaming" related other than to wonder how I was such a Geek...To which I respond, "What do you mean "was?"" 8O  :D

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:09 pm 

I ran my 4 year old through Misty Wood Tuesday night. He loved it. The kid is an insane roller! I think maybe Naked Doom or Blue Frog Tavern will be next.