What's happening to ebay trading?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:40 pm 

Is it just my imagination, or has the volume of trade on Ebay (rpg material) decreased significantly during the last 6-8 months?  Anyone have an opinion on whether it is a temporary slump, if there are any new hot trading places, if I am totally mistaken or if trading in rpg material just not so interesting anymore.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:37 pm 

muadra wrote:Is it just my imagination, or has the volume of trade on Ebay (rpg material) decreased significantly during the last 6-8 months?  Anyone have an opinion on whether it is a temporary slump, if there are any new hot trading places, if I am totally mistaken or if trading in rpg material just not so interesting anymore.

I'm seeing more large lots rather than people listing each module or item individually.  This may account for the drop in items. People find it easier to sell 100 items as a gigantic set rather than list each one, unless you are a dealer or are set up for something like this.  

Mike B.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:24 pm 

I haven't directly seen a drop in volume.  However, in my experience it's becoming harder and harder to win relatively common items on eBay -- there's a lot of competition out there recently.  Which I suppose could be a result of lower volume.

YIM  

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:56 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:I haven't directly seen a drop in volume.  However, in my experience it's becoming harder and harder to win relatively common items on eBay -- there's a lot of competition out there recently.  Which I suppose could be a result of lower volume.

Not to mention the uncommon items.. I'm thinking personally of doing more private buying of medium number of items I want, the only problem is finding someone with enough stuff to warrent me to do this... Just getting a bit sick and tired of 1 item here and there or becomming the second highest bidder in the last 5 seconds...

Brette:)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:05 pm 

I haven't noticed any signifigant change. If anything, I find more stuff (Planescape mostly) these days, thanks to higher prices encouraging more folks to sell.

I'm in the process of getting around 1000 books/Dragon/Dungeon mags ready for listing myself, so I haven't had as much time to browse lately though ;)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:50 pm 

If you have BIN on em, I think it would be at least worthwile to list em here or on the newsgroup frist to save on ebay fees, wish Beyondthebreach would do this as well...hint hint

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:14 pm 

beasterbrook wrote:If you have BIN on em, I think it would be at least worthwile to list em here or on the newsgroup frist to save on ebay fees, wish Beyondthebreach would do this as well...hint hint

Hey Brett, let me dig up the  email with your want list URL.  I promise to give it a more thorough look through and get you a more complete list of what I have.

Paul

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:25 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:
beasterbrook wrote:If you have BIN on em, I think it would be at least worthwile to list em here or on the newsgroup frist to save on ebay fees, wish Beyondthebreach would do this as well...hint hint

Hey Brett, let me dig up the  email with your want list URL.  I promise to give it a more thorough look through and get you a more complete list of what I have.

Paul

Is this some that other people who praise btb as a great seller can get in on?? ;)

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:07 pm 

I was only suggesting this as paul list his items at very reasonable BIN (own opinion) if he listed the same items off ebay with BIN figures he would save ebay fees etc, and if he didn't get the price he wanted he could always put em on ebay....\\just my 2cents

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:24 am 

This month marks roughly one year and roughly $1500 I have spent haunting Ebay.  

I have noticed an upturn in certain items.  Judges Guild is appearing at a more rapid rate.  Thieves Guild is appearing regularly, as is Runequest and the like from Chaosium.

I wonder if we might really be talking about the appearance of rares?  The market may just be getting more savvy.

Mark    8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:47 am 

MrFilthyIke wrote:
Is this some that other people who praise btb as a great seller can get in on?? ;)

Thanks Ike . . . by the way, if you (or anyone else) has a want list, you can always email it to me.

[email protected]

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:18 am 

I think the actual quantity of stuff has gone up in the last few years. However, the quality has decreased, significantly.

I also see more large lots. Most come from those ebay franchise stores that are popping up all over the damn place.

Lots more 2nd ed. stuff is coming to the surface, also.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/